VOGONS

First post, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I want to try and find one, but I don't know exactly what they are called, so I'm hoping that someone here does. The white plastic cage in the photo. I think my chances of finding one are slim to none, but it helps to know the correct terminology.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 1 of 11, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-04-12, 06:32:

I want to try and find one, but I don't know exactly what they are called, so I'm hoping that someone here does. The white plastic cage in the photo. I think my chances of finding one are slim to none, but it helps to know the correct terminology.

I like my name better 😀

In-Win Fan Thingy.jpg
Filename
In-Win Fan Thingy.jpg
File size
67.92 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Sure this is an A500 - seems more like the S500 layout https://web.archive.org/web/20030217154758/ht … ual/IW-S500.PDF

Reply 2 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The photo I posted was lifted from an Ebay listing for an S500, good catch. On closer examination it appears that I have a V500 rather than the A500. And looking at images of the V500, not one of them shows that fan cage installed, so maybe that was an accessory?

So my guess was correct, they call it a cage. My Maxtop 917 case is also missing that part, though I don't have much hope of finding one. I guess that I should consider myself fortunate that a couple of the cases I've ended up with still have theirs in place since without them mounting a front fan would require some case modification.
Thanks for the image

Attachments

Reply 3 of 11, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are the fanandspeakerthingies of an A500 on the left and an OEM full tower very close to the Q500. I remember the one in the Q500 being yet another type.

I'm pretty sure it's the standard A500 but I bought that one used, without the box.

So, not standardized at all, I'm afraid. Their mounting spots might well be similar, but the depth corresponds with that of the case and ISA standard, so not trivial.
Little hook on the left corresponds with the motherboard tray.

If you can find someone to digitize his, that might make for a nice job for a 3D printer? I know next to nothing of them. They print. In 3D. Apparently.
If there's a pro for these things in Berlin, I'll be happy to bring mine to them.

Good hunting!

Attachments

• 100_0626.JPG
    Filename
    100_0626.JPG
    File size
    159.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

I like jumpers.

Reply 4 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After pulling the front panel off, there are four mounting holes that line up with the holes in an 80 MM fan so the cage, while it would be nice, isn't necessary.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 11, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-04-12, 19:46:

After pulling the front panel off, there are four mounting holes that line up with the holes in an 80 MM fan so the cage, while it would be nice, isn't necessary.

hehe, that didn't even occur to me. You know, if it weren't for those four screws, assuming that is your own case, you're perfectly within you rights to mod it to take any fan.

Thought it was merely about completeness of the artifact 😁

I like jumpers.

Reply 6 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was going to suggest something like this.
I don't think this accessory is really necessary when wanting to add a case fan. If the mounting holes had not alinged with the fan holes I had suggested to use some kind of sturdy mounting wire (don't know the proper English word).
Also those front plastic fan brackets (or whatever their official name really is 😜 ) could be quite noisy with a fan running in it.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-12, 21:56:
I was going to suggest something like this. I don't think this accessory is really necessary when wanting to add a case fan. If […]
Show full quote

I don't think this accessory is really necessary when wanting to add a case fan. If the mounting holes had not alinged with the fan holes I had suggested to use some kind of sturdy mounting wire (don't know the proper English word).
Also those front plastic fan brackets (or whatever their official name really is 😜 ) could be quite noisy with a fan running in it.

I have one older case that has one, and I decided to try and actually put a fan in it and I found that the installation was very, very easy. In this particular case it didn't seem to add any noise, but I can see how it might.

Reply 8 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good job !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This case was included in this $30.00 haul of stuff which worked out well for me (I sold one of the Ibase boards for $150.00), and I've decided to use the Pentium M Aopen board and this case to build a Windows 2000 system since I don't have anything running 2000, and the case has a 2000 COA sticker on it.
Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Reply 10 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-04-12, 22:55:
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-12, 21:56:
I was going to suggest something like this. I don't think this accessory is really necessary when wanting to add a case fan. If […]
Show full quote

I have one older case that has one, and I decided to try and actually put a fan in it and I found that the installation was very, very easy. In this particular case it didn't seem to add any noise, but I can see how it might.

Regardless, in cases such as this one if it doesn't damage anything it is always worth a try 🙂

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!