VOGONS

paste in socket

Topic actions

First post, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought a DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR on ebay to do a 2005 build, but it was not posting, and all 4 debug leds were glowing red, which seems to mean its stuck on cpu detection. After disassembling the socket 939 with suspicious paste residue, was greeted by this sight:

4f5uKam.jpg

Needless to say, the sight made my vision go dark with anger. After spending hours and lots of paste emulsifier and q-tips, I was only able to get it this clean:

YWbmZWU.jpg

sadly it's still not working, so I guess not clean enough, but this method doesn't allow me to do any better. Anyone had to deal with this nightmare before? Any idea what I can do here?

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 1 of 35, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now I wonder if that's the result of malice, ignorance or some weird attempt to insulate for sub-zero cooling.

Maby dishwasher could work.
Or failing that find someone with a big ultrasonic cleaner.

Reply 3 of 35, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My suggestion, but do not hold me accountable: Use the shower head and some soap and rinse plenty. Keep the board upside down to dry on a towel on a radiator and use an air can or compressor on the socket to remove whatever residue might be left. Dry again, a hairdryer might do the trick (compresdors can spray water particles) and cross your fingers.

Reply 4 of 35, by Soap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
God Of Gaming wrote on 2022-04-12, 13:49:
Bought a DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR on ebay to do a 2005 build, but it was not posting, and all 4 debug leds were glowing red, whic […]
Show full quote

Bought a DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR on ebay to do a 2005 build, but it was not posting, and all 4 debug leds were glowing red, which seems to mean its stuck on cpu detection. After disassembling the socket 939 with suspicious paste residue, was greeted by this sight:

4f5uKam.jpg

Needless to say, the sight made my vision go dark with anger. After spending hours and lots of paste emulsifier and q-tips, I was only able to get it this clean:

YWbmZWU.jpg

sadly it's still not working, so I guess not clean enough, but this method doesn't allow me to do any better. Anyone had to deal with this nightmare before? Any idea what I can do here?

I'd pour a load of isopropyl into socket give it a good few minutes to soak then blast socket with compressed air, rinse and repeat till gone.

Reply 5 of 35, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think brake cleaner in a spray can will work, too. I've cleaned many parts with alcohol but some of the thermal paste will withstand alcohol quite good and brake cleaner often is the answer. All the parts I've cleaned (including total motherboards) with brake cleaner still work perfectly. Do make sure you let it dry and keep in mind that brake cleaner is very flammable 😉.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 6 of 35, by Soap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thandor wrote on 2022-04-12, 14:54:

I think brake cleaner in a spray can will work, too. I've cleaned many parts with alcohol but some of the thermal paste will withstand alcohol quite good and brake cleaner often is the answer. All the parts I've cleaned (including total motherboards) with brake cleaner still work perfectly. Do make sure you let it dry and keep in mind that brake cleaner is very flammable 😉.

I second that, seeing this post reminded me as used brake cleaner loads on minging hard to work areas, just ensure there is no acetone in it.
I've used the below cleaner loads on PCBs, breaks down rock hard ancient paste fast as in can see it come apart as you spray.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/holts-aerosol-brak … equestid=358303

Reply 9 of 35, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quick evaporating contact cleaning spray usually works wonders on TIM residues. No need to bring in any heavier artillery. Personally I use CRC QD.

Brake cleaner as suggested above would work well too, it's very similar. It's not tested the same way on electronics/plastics though, so if you have a choice, go for contact cleaner.

Would avoid using water and/or detergent based cleaners for that job. It's not going to be very effective with greasy stuff like TIM, and it might lead to other complications. It's more of a last resort when there are salts or other inorganic fouling, that won't dissolve in hydrocarbon based products.

Reply 12 of 35, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kärcher ftw!

No, I like the isopropyl plus compressed air idea. If dishwasher doesn't cut it.

That socket, *shudder*... who does something so vile? Almost as horrible as the ads on youtube.

gordon-creAtive.com wrote on 2022-04-12, 14:10:

(not my cat, not my motherboard).

OK, good. In that combination, no one would get hurt.

I like jumpers.

Reply 14 of 35, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alcohol in a spray bottle with nozzle adjusted to a stream and spray away. Force of alcohol will wash away the paste in deep cavities.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 15 of 35, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would have dumped the board into trash bin. Not worth the time in my opinion.

If you want to give it another try then you could use technical gasoline and toothbrush. You would have to submerge the board in a large baking sheet full of technical gasoline and brush the socket clean.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 17 of 35, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote on 2022-04-12, 17:22:

I guess they followed this tutorial

Good grief this looks terrible 😔

The best part about that video is the use of mayonaise. 😁

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 19 of 35, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At this point you may as well desolder the socket and put a fresh one on there...

Screen-Shot-2016-03-08-at-9.15.01-AM.png

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.