VOGONS

First post, by _tk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can say that I've literally forgotten more about 486 processors than I remember so I need a bit of help with the following...

I picked up a poorly worded Compaq 486 desktop off ebay recently. Cheap, but I wasn't sure what I'd get given the (lack of) pics and description. As it turns out, it's a later Prolinea 486 that has a few ISA slots, one PCI slot(!), a standard 2032 CMOS battery and labeled switches on the motherboard for a DX2-50, DX2-66 and DX4 (it came with a DX2-50). I knew none of this when I bid, so I got pretty lucky.

As I did back in the day, I could leave nothing as-is. So I wanted to get some advice and see what my best processor upgrade option was. DX4, 486 overdrive, etc? I was always a fan of the overdrive processors as there was something kinda cool about them and I was leaning that way again. But with Intel making several different versions, I'm not quite sure which one to get that'd maximize my system. That's where I needed the help (or if I should just try to find a DX4 for a decent price).

As for what I'm doing with it...mostly bringing back memories and installing Win3.1 and DOS 6.22 for some early 90's games I have. Mostly, it's just something to have fun with.

Reply 1 of 10, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would go 486 DX4/100 Overdrive. If the board can do 3.3volts then you can just do DX4/100.

The intel DX4s are the fatest. Unless you go AMD 5x86 or Pentium Overdrive.

For me DX4/100 sounds good.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 2 of 10, by _tk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a way to tell if it'll do 3.3v? It definitely has a label that states how the jumpers are configured for a "DX4" processor. There's a lot of 1994 dates on the motherboard itself, so it should fall in that range? I don't see a jumper for that though (unless this is done automatically when selecting the CPU speed switches). It came with one the of the later P24D DX2-50's

Probably sticking to Intel processors for this one. Pentium Overdrive was a consideration but I have plenty of Socket 5 boards/processors if I want to scratch that itch and I definitely did that back in the day. I always wanted to do a 486 Overdrive for some reason, but it seems a waste if it'll natively handle a DX4/100.

Reply 3 of 10, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Isn't the usual drill to get a AMD 5x86 P75-133 that's meant for 4 x 33 and get it to run stable at 4 x 40 MHz FSB?

The AMD 133 might be about as available as the Intel, since it was produced in far greater numbers. AFAIK, any board should take it, being just a plain 486. If it gets the 4 x multiplier right.
The Cyrix counterpart, maybe not so much.

If even the silkscreen says DX4, then to the best of my understanding, the board definitely should do 3 volts. You can probably spot the voltage regulator on the board. What else is it doing there?
You just need to download a jumper manual to make sure it's configured correctly, but you have to download a manual anyway.

Never quite understood the appeal of the Pentium overdrive in retro, apart from being a pose and rare.

Of course, don't forget to max out and tweak RAM and cache, if there's any to be done!

I like jumpers.

Reply 4 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is your 486 CPU soldered to the board or in a socket?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 10, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-04-13, 09:24:

Is your 486 CPU soldered to the board or in a socket?

They did that to 486s at Compaq?!?

Yes, a socket usually helps 😉

I like jumpers.

Reply 6 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Biggest potential issue is that some OEM systems have BIOS that only allow boot with known, supported CPUs. Not sure if that's the case with this Compaq Prolinea, but I'd recommend checking before shelling out on new hardware. Which exact model Prolinea is it?

Oh, and regarding 5x86 vs Pentium Overdrive - what works best depends on what you want to do with it. The Pentium has a far more powerful FPU and can run 586 code. The 5x86 are faster in ALU code but can't run 586 code. So if you want to run Windows XP on your 486, or want to play Quake slightly less hideously slowly, the Pentium Overdrive is the way to go (if supported). In almost all other cases, a 5x86 will be faster, if supported.

Reply 8 of 10, by _tk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-13, 09:12:
Isn't the usual drill to get a AMD 5x86 P75-133 that's meant for 4 x 33 and get it to run stable at 4 x 40 MHz FSB? […]
Show full quote

Isn't the usual drill to get a AMD 5x86 P75-133 that's meant for 4 x 33 and get it to run stable at 4 x 40 MHz FSB?

The AMD 133 might be about as available as the Intel, since it was produced in far greater numbers. AFAIK, any board should take it, being just a plain 486. If it gets the 4 x multiplier right.
The Cyrix counterpart, maybe not so much.

If even the silkscreen says DX4, then to the best of my understanding, the board definitely should do 3 volts. You can probably spot the voltage regulator on the board. What else is it doing there?
You just need to download a jumper manual to make sure it's configured correctly, but you have to download a manual anyway.

Never quite understood the appeal of the Pentium overdrive in retro, apart from being a pose and rare.

Of course, don't forget to max out and tweak RAM and cache, if there's any to be done!

I don't really care about cutting-edge performance in this. I'm really just upgrading to have some fun and to have enough overhead to run a few DOS games properly. I'm not in this for the flex or anything...it's just what I'd have done back in the day so that's where I'm headed with this build. I just don't know/remember enough about 486 quirks and I wanted to make sure I wasn't buying the incorrect processor upgrade.

The jumper manual is factory printed on a large sticker and on the inside of the PC. So, there's really no question about how it needs to be configured. It was actually more helpful than the manual I downloaded.

Reply 9 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
_tk wrote on 2022-04-13, 19:46:

[...]

I don't really care about cutting-edge performance in this. I'm really just upgrading to have some fun and to have enough overhead to run a few DOS games properly. I'm not in this for the flex or anything...it's just what I'd have done back in the day so that's where I'm headed with this build. I just don't know/remember enough about 486 quirks and I wanted to make sure I wasn't buying the incorrect processor upgrade.

The jumper manual is factory printed on a large sticker and on the inside of the PC. So, there's really no question about how it needs to be configured. It was actually more helpful than the manual I downloaded.

Well if you want to stay completely in spec, just follow the sticker.

If you want to push the envelope beyond what the sticker says, we need more info - like exactly which Prolinea it is.

Reply 10 of 10, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't know too much about Compaq. Some OEMs had rather strict, exclusive purchase agreements with certain component suppliers, affording them a discount.
What about Compaq - did they ever use non-Intel CPUs back then?

I like jumpers.