VOGONS

First post, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have had this system built for a few years, haven't touched or changed anything just recently it stopped booting.

The system turns on shows the first screen, detects cpu the energy epa pollution preventer yellow logo fades away like it is about to boot and it stays frozen.

I can enter bios change settings but it never gets past the first screen.

I have 2 hard drives, when I disconnect the slave and only try to boot from the primary it gives me a hard drive error (20) but still doesn't pass the screen.

I disconnected both my hard drives and set the bios to no hard drives at all and it still hangs after the epa pollution preventer logo fades.

I tried different hard drives but it is the same behaviour so it is not a hard drive fault.

Has anybody seen this behaviour on this board before? I suspect maybe the inboard hdd controller died, is that integrated into the chipset?

The rtc battery is good and verified so that is not the issue.
I tried one of my isa controller cards but bios didn't detect any hard drives.

Anyway I have a second Biostar MB-8433UUD-A which I swapped in now but will try to fix the faulty one. Wondering if anybody seen this behaviour before.

Reply 1 of 6, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The point you observe the hang is when the BIOS does the latest steps of the POST. At that point, ROMs from Controller Cards (like Network, SCSI) get initialized and the settings from the Advanced Chipset Setup get applied. If your RAM or cache timing is to aggressive, or your tag RAM is broken, you may observe behaviour like that.

Try disabling L2 cache and setting maximum wait states in the chipset setup.

Reply 2 of 6, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good tip there, unfortunately I did that;
1 loaded optimum settings, set auto config on so no aggressive wait states
2 disabled internal external cache
3 actually moved the tag cache chip + all my cache to my backup board as it didn't have cache.

My backup board is now in the system and working, so it has the same ram, cpu, cache+tag and hard drive as the original board that fails boot.

But what you said about roms from controller cards getting initialised is interesting. Since hard drive error 20 is all I can go by, could this be a failure trying to initialise the onboard hdd controller?

Is it possible to disable the onboard hdd controller?

Reply 4 of 6, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
treeman wrote on 2022-04-18, 11:53:

But what you said about roms from controller cards getting initialised is interesting. Since hard drive error 20 is all I can go by, could this be a failure trying to initialise the onboard hdd controller?

Is it possible to disable the onboard hdd controller?

If you get to the message "hard disks fail (20)", the onboard fdd + hdd initialization is over. If the system locks up after showing you that message, it is not related to HDD initialization. The onboard hdd controller has no dedicated ROM, the IDE support is part of the mainboard ROM and already initialized slightly earlier.

IIRC you can only disable the second channel, but not connecting any HDD should be close enough to disable the controller for all practical troubleshooting purposes.

treeman wrote on 2022-04-18, 12:16:

Just skimmed through some specs and manuals, it looks like the UM8663BF is responsible for eide

It's not. The EIDE interface on the 8433UUD is part of the south bridge, the UM8886. The 8663 is an ISA super-I/O chip that is used for parallel, serial and floppy interface. While that chip might be able to do ISA-based IDE, too, the MB-8433UUD doesn't use that capability. The speed of the PCI-connected southbridge-integrated IDE is way higher than the ISA solution would be able to achieve.

Reply 6 of 6, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I now started getting the same issue on my second motherboard. I was thinking about the rom initialisation so took out the sound card and it started booting. Could it be the sound card or it is luck? It is a isa sb16