VOGONS

First post, by RetroBard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Schneider EuroPC has the German keyboard layout, but I’m using the Swedish mapping and it works fine with those Scandinavian characters. What I don’t seem to be able to get typed are backslash ’\’ and tilde ’~’. Both German and Swedish keyboards have the aforementioned characters assigned to the same key, at the lower right corner of the cap. While I can get the two other characters assigned to the keys typed, the backslash and tilde won’t show. On an AT layout both are typed using alt gr + key, but Schneider has a what I suspect to be an XT layout and no alt gr. I’ve tried ctrl-alt-key but that doesn’t work. I’ve also tried typing the ascii code while pressing alt but that doesn’t work either. Only thing that I haven’t tried is switching to ASCII layout, but I’d rather wouldn’t have to switch between layouts every time I want to enter a directory path. Any ideas how I can get backslash and tilde typed?

Reply 1 of 3, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ctrl+Alt is the correct combination on the Euro PC. Are you using the built-in keyboard driver of the Euro PC BIOS (you can select the keyboard mapping in the setup for that one), or do you load keyb at the DOS prompt? If you load keyb, it might expect an AT-type keyboard and require you to use AltGr, which the Euro PC doesn't have. The recommended way to use the keyboard on the Euro PC is to not load keyb at all.

Reply 3 of 3, by RetroBard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Keyb was not set in in autoexec.bat as I remembered. On further investigation I noticed that backslash actually works. The tilde, however doesn’t, unless I change to Germany from the BIOS settings. Both layouts should have the tilde on the same key based on the reference pictures.