VOGONS

First post, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a Toshiba 220CS for only €15, but it doesn't work. Luckily the green batteries of doom hadn't start leaking yet and I removed them. I installed a spare floppy drive in it and a CF to IDE adapter, but I can't get it to go past the BIOS screen. The floppy drive just makes one clicking sound, but it doesn't even attempt to read the floppy. (The floppy drive is not confirmed to be in working condition.) As for the CF card I tried both putting an image on there from a Compaq Contura 430C of Windows 95 and MS-DOS 5.0. I don't expect it to be fully compatible, but I expected it to at least boot, especially the DOS image. I tried multiple CF cards but none of them work. The IDE adapter is confirmed to work. I should note that the HDD light doesn't turn on at any time and the light on the adapter doesn't either. I could of course try an image of an Olivetti Philos too, but I don't expect it to do any better.

When I turn on the laptop it does nothing for a while and then it gets into the BIOS. When the settings are fine, I proceed, but I am just greeted with a CMOS error and a blinking cursor. It seems to pass the RAM check at start up, 64MB. (See the picture for details.) I am at a dead end right now. I have no idea what else to try, since the motherboard doesn't seem to have any traces damaged or anything. I don't see any burned components either. Do any of you guys know what I can try to fix the laptop? I'd like to get it running for some Daggerfall and Transport Tycoon, because they are probably not the greatest experience on a 486DX4, which is the fastest laptop I have on hand after the Toshiba. Thanks in advance!

All the best,

Miko, Strahssis

Attachments

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 2 of 6, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi chiveicrook, thanks for your reply! It does the same in all configurations: floppy drive without the adapter, adapter without the floppy drive and with nothing installed at all.

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM

Reply 3 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a 110CS which is a Pentium 100Mhz, your 220CS should be a Pentium 133Mhz iirc. I have the service manual for 110CS/CT from minuszero which would be similar to the 220CS/CT in diagnosis.
Check this section 2: troubleshooting: http://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Toshiba/S … ce%20Manual.pdf
Now if you have a T200 series that would be a 486.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 6, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Horun, Thanks for your help! I actually made some progress with the service manual, but not in the way you might expect. I held down the space key on power up like the service manual instructed for troubleshooting and after a while of doing it's checks, it booted right into my MS-DOS 5 setup floppy that I apparently left in there. So what I know is, that the hardware inside the laptop itself is probably fine and that my spare floppy drive is working.

The "HDD" still didn't seem to do anything though. I will try tomorrow to put the CF-adapter in the socket directly. Right now I am using an extension cable so I can reach the adapter without disassembly. Of course I did check the cable by checking continuity on a few pins as a sample, but you never know. I can also try a different adapter, even though the one in there right now is confirmed to work. Or I can try a SD-to-IDE adapter. Some of my Compaqs where a bit picky with the CF-adapters in the past as well and maybe so is this Toshiba. I will do some more tests tomorrow and will let you guys know about the result.

Now I have another simple question. My laptops are generally too old to have heatsinks, thermal pads or anything (486 and earlier), but this Toshiba seems to have some thermal pads, which still appear to be soft. Should I go ahead and remove these old ones to prevent overheating or are they okay to stay despite their age? What do you guys usually do with these old thermal pads?

Reply 5 of 6, by FuST

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All of my pentium-class Toshiba laptops still have their original thermal pads, as long as they're still soft and making contact to all thermal surfaces you're good to go.
If your machine has a fan I would test that on a bench powersupply, just to make sure it can turn on when needed but other than that I wouldn't bother replacing them.

Blog | YouTube

Reply 6 of 6, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FuST, thank you for your explanation. The thermal pads were still fine and the fan was still working. The fan behaves a bit odd though. Most of the time it doesn't do anything, but when it comes on, it spins like it needs to ascend into the air. I think it is built that way though and that it is not something faulty.

It ended up being the IDE-cable in the end, which is a bit weird considering the pins should match. I guess there was some faulty connection somewhere though. The laptop works like a charm now. 😀