VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Kinda wanting to make a lan party style setup for one of my tyan s1564D mobos

Are there any Media center style or small compact cases that will take a long baby AT mobo? Laptop size cd is fine, I can even do without hard drive spaces, but at least one floppy bay would be nice for my gotek. Small non standard size psu is fine.

Whatcha think?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 19, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not possible with "full size" Baby AT. Otherwise you can adapt some small ATX case.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 19, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

depends on how much you're willing to modify the case, there's plenty of modern itx cases that will physically fit a full babyAT board but will require modifications for mounting and I/O

Reply 3 of 19, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a nice little case. Smaller and lighter than most mini tower AT cases.
Its designed for Baby AT motherboards. It’s pretty light. About 5lbs. Empty.
You can remove the hard drive tray to make room for long motherboards.

Dimensions:
16-inches Long , 7-inches wide , 16-inches tall

See my posts:
AMD 5x86@160mhz., Media Vision PAS16. ( Win 95 )

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2022-04-23, 12:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 19, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does "long baby AT" mean the full 33 cm of the specification or are there even longer ones?

Shouldn't there be a lot of µATX cases around that will fit those, with some tinkering?

I wonder if "low profile" would be an option, with certain cards... 😁

I like jumpers.

Reply 7 of 19, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is small and light too and you can remove the hard drive tray for long motherboards.
Weight is about 5lbs empty.

Dimensions:
16-inches long, 7-inches wide, 13-inches tall

See my posts:
Easy Win-95 era gaming PC.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2022-04-23, 13:39. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 9 of 19, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-04-23, 13:01:
This is is small and light too and you can remove the hard drive tray for long motherboards. Weight is about 5lbs empty. […]
Show full quote

This is is small and light too and you can remove the hard drive tray for long motherboards.
Weight is about 5lbs empty.

Dimensions:
16-inches long, 7-inches wide, 13-inches tall

See my posts:
Easy Win-95 era gaming PC.

That looks like a typical mini tower to me, albeit a rather nice one.
Smaller than that are probably only pizza box designs with riser boards. As far as dedicated AT cases go.
Below that, you're in dremel territory, afaik.

I like jumpers.

Reply 10 of 19, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like these cases because you can remove the motherboard tray and hard drive tray.
They are easy to work with and they are light.

They look tall but they are not.
They are short and stubby.

They are narrower than most cases at only 7-inch wide.

You can use a full size PSU, Hard drives, Long Baby AT motherboards and long ISA cards too.
You can fit full size ISA and VLB cards.
You could even fit a Voodoo 5000
Or an AWE32 card.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2022-04-23, 14:02. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 12 of 19, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Best you can get from normal BabyAT is one those smaller inverted orientation cases.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 13 of 19, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a desktop version too.

See posts:
PC tower cases by year

Attachments

Reply 14 of 19, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thats not a small motherboard it’s 13-inches long. Either of those posted mini tower cases should work.
And you can get a more powerful PSU if needed. Standard AT size PSU.

Attachments

Reply 15 of 19, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-04-23, 14:58:

Thats not a small motherboard it’s 13-inches long. Either of those posted mini tower cases should work.

Well, that's 330 mm, which is simply the full baby AT standard. That's 86 mm more than µATX but I very much doubt there were many cases made that did not have those 90 mm of overhead? At least with the drives interfering?

BTW., has anyone ever found out why the good people who set all those standards didn't come up with sizes in integer values, neither cm nor, oftentimes, freedom units?
(Not that anyone should care because engineering stuff should be done in mm or not at all.)

I like jumpers.

Reply 16 of 19, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-23, 15:26:

That's 86 mm more than µATX but I very much doubt there were many cases made that did not have those 90 mm of overhead? At least with the drives interfering?

Most (if not all) cases had enough space to fit Baby AT boards, but I have a couple of them where the tray is so short that about 1/3 of the board ends up flopping around without any kind of support.

Reply 17 of 19, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
frankmonk wrote on 2022-04-23, 13:25:

@Sphere478

Check out some industrial baby at cases. A few look realy really nice and often come without 5.25 or even 3.5 slots.

https://www.google.com/search?q=industrial+ba … Q_AUoAnoECAAQBQ

Um… gonna need help

Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-04-23, 14:58:

It seems to only draw about 8a 5v with minimal cards. Fully loaded it draws prob around 15is of course varying on which cards used.

Ebay or mfg links wouldhelp guys. Tryin to buy one. Seeing your cases don’t help if I can’t buy it.

Big thanks for the help!!

I’ve wondered about using a mini atx and making my own I/O shield. But that would put the pci in the io space. Which would be hard to work out.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 18 of 19, by FioGermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only AT case i have has issues where the cards won't go all the way into the slot. A tiny little bit of connector will stick out of the ISA slot. Something on the motherboard bracket is messing up the motherboard height or whatever and i don't feel like dealing with it. Mine is hella cramped too. I just shoved it all into a late 90s ATX case and all is good.

Reply 19 of 19, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FioGermi wrote on 2022-04-24, 00:55:

The only AT case i have has issues where the cards won't go all the way into the slot. A tiny little bit of connector will stick out of the ISA slot. Something on the motherboard bracket is messing up the motherboard height or whatever and i don't feel like dealing with it. Mine is hella cramped too. I just shoved it all into a late 90s ATX case and all is good.

Order longer standoffs?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-