VOGONS

First post, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I own a thin client made by Computer Lab International. The computer itself seems to be a mostly VIA chipset system, it came with Windows XP Embedded originally. The below picture is what it looks like (but has an earlier CLI logo). No I don't know the exact model of this system, it has a torn system sticker.

AG7000-no-KB.gif

This is all what I managed to get out of Windows XP's driver information about what stuff is in this thin client (using PCI Lookup):

VGA = VIA Technologies CX700/VX700 [S3 UniChrome Pro]

Audio = A chip on the board near the audio outputs reads: VT1708A

IDE/RAID = VT8237A/VT8251 HDA Controller

Ethernet = Realtek TRL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet

I know this is a long shot but does anyone know if any of this hardware actually has Windows 98SE drivers available? Or is the lowest I can go pretty much just Windows XP?

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 1 of 2, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did some digging around myself and I've come to some conclusions about the hardware in this model of CLI Thin Client.

Here's the status I've managed to reach after hours of scouring google for drivers.

Video = S3 Unichrome Pro II IGP = I did find a Windows 98SE driver, but it doesn't work properly, just gives a black screen with occasional glitches. I think someone else on here found some VIA desktop motherboards with this same issue.

Sound = VT1708A = A driver doesn't exist for Windows 98SE it seems

Ethernet = couldn't find a driver for this either

USB = Got working in Windows, doesn't work in MS-DOS

Chipset = Got working

At the absolute minimum, one could still use this thin client for DOS 7.1 usage, just setting GUI boot in win.sys to zero. Windows would be there mainly to make it easier to transfer files and games through a USB drive. For sound, just use a parallel port sound card like a Covox clone or an OPL3LPT card. No USB in DOS is a bit of a problem, but there are PS/2 ports on this thin client so one would still have a mouse and keyboard available.

Or just use Windows XP or Linux on it.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 2 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like XP may be the lowest you can go but do you know the VIA southbridge ?
For LAN did you try the one here: https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/cate … y/rtl8110sc-l-s ...under Win98SE/ME Auto installation program
For audio you might try: VIA Vinyl Audio Driver v.7.00b but it may not support it unless the southebridge is supported AFAIk
sorry all I could find...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun