VOGONS

First post, by Jim5589

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently got hold of a Dell XPS t500 tower in really good condition. I excitedly got it all setup with windows 98se and all went well. However after everything was finished I replaced the bios battery as it was flat. After doing this I am having issues. The PC then booted fine the first time but after shutting it down you don't get the screen saying it is safe to turn the PC off the screen just goes blank but the fans continue to run. If you do press the power button nothing happens the fans still keep running. So I turned it off at the wall and when you turn it back on again it powers on but doesn't boot just fans running with blank screen. The only way to get it working again is to remove the bios battery. It then will work perfectly again. I have updated the bios, tried another battery, turned off all the power management stuff off In the bios. But with the bios battery installed the issue is the same. Inspecting the board itself visually it all looks ok to me with no missing or damaged components or bulging caps etc.

Anyone come across this before or have any suggestions what it could be or what I can try to narrow it down?

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is an Intel OEM board and yes have some odd issues with a few of them, one is a 440LX based Slot1. I do not have an answer other than post a good picture of the board.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dell XPS T500 is a 440BX board, actually.

Make sure the battery is the correct voltage (3v vs 1.5v). That's a long shot but maybe that's the issue.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 3 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've the exact same PC and it behaves fine. It's been upgraded to a 1Ghz Coppermine, new ram, HDD, even PSU is a generic one though an adapter. I'm not sure I've swapped the battery though.

I also picked up a 4100 few years ago, (basically the S370 version of the T500) Original PSU and I suspect everything else, which does do the same as yours.
I haven't really done much with that PC yet so cant remember what it does/doesn't do but I thought turning it on at the wall hung but hitting reset would cause it to successfully boot, but again I'm no 100% sure about this.
So seems like it is a somewhat common issue with Dell's of this era

Reply 4 of 4, by Jim5589

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi thanks for the replies . Unfortunately after trying various things I gave up. Luckily I also got a dell dimension t750e tower as part of the same joblot of machines which works perfectly so I am going to keep that one instead and this t500 is now on ebay for parts.