More than 2 FDDs?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-04-30, 08:18:

I am one that likes to prepare for anything. In this case, i like old computers, maybe building an old DOS gaming machine, or restoring some to sell, or collect. And because my modern ethernet cable wont fit anything older than my current Dell T3400 (example my Socket 462 Win98SE machine), installing over network isnt all that convenient for me. I personally find going the traditional route of writing the software i may need, to the proper media, (1.2m and 360k 5.25, and 1.44m and 720k 3.5, and cd-rom) a lot easier. Thus, i want to build a pc that can do so. Also, I find making things work that typically wouldnt rather interesting itself. 😂

So you're not going for 2.88MB compatibility? 😕
If you come across even just a single 2.88MB floppy disk, you'd be stuck with it and never ever know what's on there 😐😐😐

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21 of 26, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-30, 13:27:

I am one that likes to prepare for anything. In this case, i like old computers, maybe building an old DOS gaming machine, or restoring some to sell, or collect. And because my modern ethernet cable wont fit anything older than my current Dell T3400 (example my Socket 462 Win98SE machine), installing over network isnt all that convenient for me. I personally find going the traditional route of writing the software i may need, to the proper media, (1.2m and 360k 5.25, and 1.44m and 720k 3.5, and cd-rom) a lot easier. Thus, i want to build a pc that can do so. Also, I find making things work that typically wouldnt rather interesting itself. 😂

If you come across even just a single 2.88MB floppy disk, you'd be stuck with it and never ever know what's on there 😐😐😐

Arent they kinda rare? and i havent found any programs yet for 2.88 disks

Reply 22 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-04-30, 19:40:
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-30, 13:27:

Arent they kinda rare? and i havent found any programs yet for 2.88 disks

Oh that's right.
In this case you can probably safely disregard this format as it's unlikely any software was ever released on these disks. And if so, it seems likely it would be put on more popular formats as well.

I thought you wanted it for data and not just program disks.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 23 of 26, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2022-04-30, 00:05:

Is there anywhere to buy a PCB and programmed ROM chip for the XT-FDC? I found a bom, but not gerber files, and not sure I could afford UK prices for getting a couple of PCBs made

If anyone needs one (assembled or unassembled) please contact me, I've got plenty of PCBs and all the parts... I'm not sure if this is allowed on this forum, if not then please delete my post.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 24 of 26, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote on 2022-05-01, 01:37:
debs3759 wrote on 2022-04-30, 00:05:

Is there anywhere to buy a PCB and programmed ROM chip for the XT-FDC? I found a bom, but not gerber files, and not sure I could afford UK prices for getting a couple of PCBs made

If anyone needs one (assembled or unassembled) please contact me, I've got plenty of PCBs and all the parts... I'm not sure if this is allowed on this forum, if not then please delete my post.

I've messaged you. Can get everything from Digikey, but keeping my options open while I save for it.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 25 of 26, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IMA go for the record sometime... 4x FDD interface FDD, 4x LS-120 1.44, 6x USB 1.44 and 2 Tandy parallel port 5.25 🤣.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 26 of 26, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-05-01, 04:15:

IMA go for the record sometime... 4x FDD interface FDD, 4x LS-120 1.44, 6x USB 1.44 and 2 Tandy parallel port 5.25 🤣.

😄

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.