VOGONS

Some eBay sellers are assholes

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 81, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some very good info based on experiences here ! Thanks all. As one who is going to retire very soon and liquidate the three collections of things I treasure you have given me some good insight on how to use (or not) Ebay to do it.
Most I would hope go to someone who wants for their own use and not to just re-sell to make money since everything I have collected is based on own use but as one ages there is a time when you have to just let it all go 🙁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 81 of 81, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, this topic really struck a nerve, it seems...

On the "used item condition" and warranty obligation or return issues - I very much assume that various national legislation trumps ebay rules in the end.
So, ebay will afaik claim that category like "used" as opposed to "parts only" trumps description, but description being part of the offer and hence the contract in a general civil law sense, it can be relevant in the end.
Log story short, assholes ruin anything and all we can try is create a society that does not encourage assholery in people.

For any serious ebay sale: I'd keep good photos, note serial numbers and mark parts with UV marker. May not make a legal difference, but at least I'll know when being BSed, gaslighted or cheated.

Horun wrote on 2022-05-04, 00:46:

Some very good info based on experiences here ! Thanks all. As one who is going to retire very soon and liquidate the three collections of things I treasure you have given me some good insight on how to use (or not) Ebay to do it.
Most I would hope go to someone who wants for their own use and not to just re-sell to make money since everything I have collected is based on own use but as one ages there is a time when you have to just let it all go 🙁

Wow, that sounds tough. Getting older is not for beginners...
If you want stuff to go to a good new home, well... can't really rule out the middle man on ebay. Would have to go to amibay or something.
On ebay, maybe long running auction and try to categorize and title the items as good as possible to improve chances they'll be found by the end user within reasonable time while not fleecing them.

I like jumpers.