VOGONS

First post, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys. I bought a Dell 1130 CRT monitor today, and brought it home to set up with one of my retro PCs. The CRT is in great shape, bright, perfect geometry and great picture.... but.... there's an occasional "click" accompanied by the picture shrinking for half a second then coming back.

The monitor's case is pretty beat up... deep scratches all over, especially on the front bezel. The metallic dell logo is also scratched and dented. It's like the monitor was stored face down for a long time, and banged around. The tube is thankfully unscratched, and all the buttons work as intended.

I've been searching for a couple of 21" CRTs for a while now, but everything I've come across had really bad wear - as in they were dim and or the geometry was off. This one is has perfect picture and brightness.

The clicking and picture shrink issue really worry me. What could be wrong with it? It doesn't happen often and it's irregular, it can go for an hour and not "click" or it can do it twice in 10 minutes... I know close to nothing about how to fix a CRT, so I'm hoping one of you guys can point me in the right direction - could it be a bad capacitor? Bad electrical connection? Where should I start looking?

I'm worried if I keep using it like this something might generate magic smoke or it will just stop working, and I don't have to tell you guys how rare (and in cases expensive) a good 21" CRT can be.

Attachments

• dell 21.jpeg
    Filename
    dell 21.jpeg
    File size
    217.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 10, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would be nice if you could catch the 'clicking' on video.

Could be a faulty contact/solderjoint somewhere (pcb, internal, connector)
could be the degaus circuitry
could be ...

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 10, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My VX900 was doing this for a while recently, and I thought for sure it was dead. I decided just to keep using it and enjoy whatever time is left. I posted about it, same as you. So far, however, it's still working and that was a month or two ago - and I used it heavily this past month - the most I've ever used it since I bought it a few years ago. It hasn't really been acting up like it was since I posted. Maybe the same will happen for you in its journey as a 'white dwarf star.'

Reply 5 of 10, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I took the monitor apart today and cleaned it up. It was covered with dust, spider webs and what looked like mud in some areas. Didn't find any obviously damaged components... After cleaning I put it back together to try and record the "click" + flicker, but... it's not doing it anymore. I've had it on for a few hours and so far it hasn't clicked once.

Here's some CRT PR0N for anyone with this fetish:

The CRT's electron gun:

neck.jpeg
Filename
neck.jpeg
File size
212.02 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
top.jpeg
Filename
top.jpeg
File size
205.17 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Label on the CRT

tub.jpeg
Filename
tub.jpeg
File size
113.75 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Mainboard:

inside.jpeg
Filename
inside.jpeg
File size
213.28 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And this monstrosity is the flyback transformer.

flyback 2.jpeg
Filename
flyback 2.jpeg
File size
224.51 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Perhaps I got lucky and the issue was caused by dirt and grime, and went away as soon as I cleaned the inside of the monitor...

Reply 6 of 10, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Apple M1212 monitor that did the same thing, every time I powered it up, it would do just as you described: a tick with the raster expanding then shrinking back to size.

After using it for a while, it started doing it less and less until it fully stopped, probably was some dust that somehow accumulated under the anode cap and burned off as I let it run.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 7 of 10, by dizzydevil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Socket 3, I have the same monitor.
You can check the operating hours, this is very easily.
Press and hold the - and + buttons at the same time, without releasing them, press the input button.
The OSD will appear, the last line is the running hours.
Write here how many hours you have.

Last edited by dizzydevil on 2022-05-05, 10:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 10, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had monitors do this too. I've got a bunch of late 90s DEC branded 15" CRTs which all variously do the click, image changes size then returns to normal. I think I've got a few Sun badged Sony displays that also do it.

Interested to hear if a simple cleaning fixes the problem long term!

Reply 9 of 10, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
davidrg wrote on 2022-05-05, 09:40:

I've had monitors do this too. I've got a bunch of late 90s DEC branded 15" CRTs which all variously do the click, image changes size then returns to normal. I think I've got a few Sun badged Sony displays that also do it.

Interested to hear if a simple cleaning fixes the problem long term!

Second day of use - still no clicking 😁 Monitor is working great!

Check out how good the brightness and contrast are - it's comparable to a modern 32" Odyssey G5:

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-05 at 5.16.37 PM.jpeg
Filename
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-05 at 5.16.37 PM.jpeg
File size
141.48 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-05 at 5.14.39 PM.jpeg
Filename
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-05 at 5.14.39 PM.jpeg
File size
145.26 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
dizzydevil wrote on 2022-05-05, 09:09:
Hello Socket 3, I have the same monitor. You can check the operating hours, this is very easily. Press and hold the - and + butt […]
Show full quote

Hello Socket 3, I have the same monitor.
You can check the operating hours, this is very easily.
Press and hold the - and + buttons at the same time, without releasing them, press the input button.
The OSD will appear, the last line is the running hours.
Write here how many hours you have.

Here you go - so the last line is the number of operating hours? If so it hasn't seen too much use... 7702 hrs is 320 days... Too bad the case is so damaged. In any case (pun intended) I put 5 of those hours on it last night playing ZHeretic in win98 and Dungeon Keeper 2.

Attachments

Reply 10 of 10, by dizzydevil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Socket3 congratulations on buying a great monitor! I am also happy with the same monitor.
You have a small operating time, 7 thousand hours, I have 10 thousand, judging by the statistics,
most often problems with this tube begin at 14 thousand hours.
Let's hope that we will have these problems even later 😀