VOGONS

First post, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello!

I'm back with yet another CRT related issue! This time involving a lovely little 15" ADI Microscan M500 CRT I found at the side of the road.

This little guy works, the tube is nice and bright witch is rare these days, but the geometry is off... I can adjust vertical height and position just fine, but none of the horizontal adjustments work, trapezoid and "camber" won't work either. The image is squeezed in the middle like it's wearing a corset and the top and bottom corners are all outside of the viewable area...

And like I said, the required adjustments in the OSD menu do nothing. Sure, I can select trapezoid or horizontal size between 0 and 100, but they do nothing... no change to the geometry.

Haven't encountered this one before... can anything be done to fix it? I rather like this little guy, it would go great with my 286 for older games... My only other small CRT is a 14" Olivetti with a blown flyback transformer so I'd really like to fix it if possible but don't know where to start.

I took the back off, it was pretty clean on the inside. No obvious signs of damage, no corrosion or bulging caps...

file.php?id=136820&mode=view

file.php?id=136823&mode=view

file.php?id=136824&mode=view

Reply 1 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That sounds like EW correction is not working. It is likely the EW correction amp transistor is dead or there is a break in the path.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 3, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote on 2022-05-08, 19:28:

That sounds like EW correction is not working. It is likely the EW correction amp transistor is dead or there is a break in the path.

balls. Could you tell me around where on the board would I look for the EW correction amp transistor and what it look like? Does it look like a mosfet (3 leg transistor) or like a chip?

Reply 3 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Clipboard01.png
Filename
Clipboard01.png
File size
60.47 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

This is the most common way things are done in the line deflection side, anything on the blue line is suspect. You'll have to measure parts to see if they are in spec and replace anything that is off. You cannot do stuff live unless you absolutely know what you are doing, life threatening voltages are available there (1kV+ pulses with very significant currents). Always safely discharge all the capacitors there and especially the big capacitor on PSU primary side, it can bite very hard.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜