VOGONS

First post, by kdevries

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All

I am a proud owner of a T5200 that I would like to use in combination with a soundblaster 32 to relive my early days using this card and to use my old soundfont 2 files.

My T5200 after the ordered parts arrive will have:
- 4MB Ram
- 100 MB Ram
- working floppy disk (26 to 34 pin adapter on the way)
- hopefully a working parallel port for LLPRO/Interlnk.exe
-TX486DLC-40
-IIT4C87DLC-40
- Soundblaster 32 CT3600 with 8MB

My questions:
- Does someone knows how I can disable the onboard parallel port so that I can use a 8 bit isa parallel card as LPT1 (don’t want to use an extra IRQ, needed for the soundblaster) ?
Or is their another reason I can not succesfully use this port (also tried bi-directional in bios) with LLPRO/Interlink (serial works but is slow) ?
- Becuase using soundfont 2 (.sf2) soundbanks requires the use of Win95; will this run okay with the cpu/fpu upgrade and the 4MB that I have now or should I do the Ram upgrade as described on this site ?
- Is there a way to load soundfont 2 files in the soundblaster 32 under msdos/win3.1 ? (Am afraid this is not possible or use the rename .sf2 to .sbk trick which is buggy)

Friendly greeting,

Kevin

Reply 1 of 3, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A Toshiba T5200 looks like a great laptop. I looked up the specifications and that ISA expandability is just great, especially when trying to get sound out of the machine. In my opinion you need at least 8MB of RAM to run Windows 95. Though 4MB will install and run, it is really a painful experience, trust me. I would advice you to use 16MB of RAM for Windows 95, which is what most of my Windows 95 machines have.

A program that worked well for me on Windows 2000 with sf2-soundfonts, is this version of TiMidity++ windows synthesizer: https://osdn.net/projects/twsynth/
Officially it supports Windows 95, 98 and ME, so in that regard it should work. However, I am not sure if it will run well on a 486. I haven't tried that yet.

I know this doesn't answer all of your questions, but I hope it helps.

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 3 of 3, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No problem and good luck! 😀

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM