VOGONS

First post, by P47elite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well. I got it up and running this morning. Got a dead cmos battery to sort out and poking around the machine as of time of this posting.

I have intentions of running redhat 5.2 on this thing. Memory serves that back in my youth my similarly specced 486 really struggled with rh5. I'm thinking of doing some upgrades to make this a fun experience and maybe even install win 95 later.

So far research is telling me I can only upgrade to a pentium over drive 83mhz as my ultimate upgrade path. Is this correct? Or can I throw an amd dx4 100 in and see some savage gains? I'm already looking at pricing for ram - looks like I can acquire 64mb for less than 50 bucks.

I also need to source a working ide cd rom drive, this one don't look like it's very happy...

Thanks dudes!

Reply 1 of 2, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you know if the motherboard supports 3.3 volts?
Many 486 motherboards can only do 5v in which case the POD 83 is correct (as it has a built in regulator to supply the required 3.3v
If the motherboard can do 5v then that opens up other CPU's such as the DX4 of AMD 5x86 133

How much cache do you have? Ideally you don't want to exceed the amount of ram that you can fit in cache, at least that's the case for dos/win9x. NT4 which I ran on a DX2/66 very much liked 64MB , I suspect your redhat would be the same.

Reply 2 of 2, by P47elite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2022-05-15, 15:42:
Do you know if the motherboard supports 3.3 volts? Many 486 motherboards can only do 5v in which case the POD 83 is correct (as […]
Show full quote

Do you know if the motherboard supports 3.3 volts?
Many 486 motherboards can only do 5v in which case the POD 83 is correct (as it has a built in regulator to supply the required 3.3v
If the motherboard can do 5v then that opens up other CPU's such as the DX4 of AMD 5x86 133

How much cache do you have? Ideally you don't want to exceed the amount of ram that you can fit in cache, at least that's the case for dos/win9x. NT4 which I ran on a DX2/66 very much liked 64MB , I suspect your redhat would be the same.

So I'm pretty certain it's only 5v. I'll need to do some digging. I don't think there is any cache installed, I was at my office today and found a 486 box that was a natsuko phone answering machine or something... I grabbed ram, and I'll likely grab cache from it. However I need to see if I actually have the controller chip installed in order to utilize the cache.. I saw a YouTube video on this.

However after today's outing at the office grabbing three different sticks of ram it doesn't look like they work with this system. So I'm going to go look around on the open market a little bit.

I also encountered either some issues with the floppy drive, or some floppies that I got kicking around. Granted these floppies are old as all hell, so it's going to be hard to figure out which is busted. Good news is at the office I have about six brand new floppy drives kicking around.

I'm very much hoping that there are some way and somehow that I can upgrade the CPU on this thing, there's just so many DX4s out in the wild that are super super affordable.

Also, I need to either hobgoblin a CMOS battery together or figure out a suitable replacement. Oy.

It seems that there's a real lack of quality information about this system's board online.