VOGONS

Reply 20 of 32, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
WJG6260 wrote on 2022-06-06, 19:53:

Now this is a plot-twist! I haven’t given up, and it seems that someone has indeed got this board going with a Tualatin!

As to how, well, I’m not sure. I’ve messaged them and will keep all those interested informed as to my findings. Interestingly, their COU-Z readout denotes the bios as version “.P18.” Perhaps this is a modified version?

try contacting him again. i've bought off him and he provided me bios updates. id say try to find your order and tell him what your order date was to so he knows u bought off him vs ur just some dude trying to get free help.

Reply 21 of 32, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you referring to the Korean eBay seller? If so, I just messaged them and gave him my order date and number.

I really hope he has this BIOS because I would absolutely love to use this pin-modded Tualatin on the VC820. It’s a fantastic, stable, and really well-made board.

-Live Long and Prosper-

Feel free to check out my YouTube and Twitter!

Reply 22 of 32, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
WJG6260 wrote on 2022-06-07, 00:12:

Are you referring to the Korean eBay seller? If so, I just messaged them and gave him my order date and number.

I really hope he has this BIOS because I would absolutely love to use this pin-modded Tualatin on the VC820. It’s a fantastic, stable, and really well-made board.

yes. he should help u out.

Reply 23 of 32, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aaron158 wrote on 2022-06-07, 01:00:

Awesome! Thank you. I really hope to hear back. He makes a great product and I really want to put it to use here!

-Live Long and Prosper-

Reply 24 of 32, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aaron158 wrote on 2022-06-07, 01:00:

I'm not really in a rush to hear from him, but I haven't heard back as of yet. I realize that it might take some time, but now I'm wondering, aaron158 do you--or does anyone here--know the best way to get in touch with the Korean eBay Tualatin seller?

Is eBay direct messaging the way to go, or perhaps his blog/forum?

-Live Long and Prosper-

Reply 26 of 32, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

BIG UPDATE

I heard from the Korean eBay seller and, indeed, he provided me with a working, Tualatin-compatible BIOS update. He's a really nice fellow and seems super helpful. I can wholeheartedly say that I am glad to have bought one of his pre-modded CPUs. It works great and, until now, it's been in a few boards: an ASUS CUBX-E and an ASUS CUV4X, namely.

The BIOS update process was a bit nerve-wracking, as it's done in recovery mode and there's no monitor output. The upgrade was quick and easy, but my heart sank when I heard a series of continuous beeps from the PC speaker, as Intel denotes this to be a BIOS upgrade failure. I gave it a shot anyway, using a Shuttle HOT-C003 slotket. This slotket works just fine on other boards, and it's compatible with voltages down to 1.3V.

Low-and-behold, success.

Here you have it, ladies and gents: a PIII-S Tualatin 1.26GHz CPU running on an Intel VC820!

VC820-T.jpg
Filename
VC820-T.jpg
File size
90.25 KiB
Views
File comment
VC820-T SpeedSys
File license
CC-BY-4.0

-Live Long and Prosper-

Reply 27 of 32, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WJG6260 wrote on 2022-06-08, 22:30:
BIG UPDATE […]
Show full quote

BIG UPDATE

I heard from the Korean eBay seller and, indeed, he provided me with a working, Tualatin-compatible BIOS update. He's a really nice fellow and seems super helpful. I can wholeheartedly say that I am glad to have bought one of his pre-modded CPUs. It works great and, until now, it's been in a few boards: an ASUS CUBX-E and an ASUS CUV4X, namely.

The BIOS update process was a bit nerve-wracking, as it's done in recovery mode and there's no monitor output. The upgrade was quick and easy, but my heart sank when I heard a series of continuous beeps from the PC speaker, as Intel denotes this to be a BIOS upgrade failure. I gave it a shot anyway, using a Shuttle HOT-C003 slotket. This slotket works just fine on other boards, and it's compatible with voltages down to 1.3V.

Low-and-behold, success.

Here you have it, ladies and gents: a PIII-S Tualatin 1.26GHz CPU running on an Intel VC820!

VC820-T.jpg

Glad it worked!

I also have had a great experience with that seller in Korea and I have only heard good things about him. I wanted to source a non-modded Tualatin along with the adapter in two separate non-assembled parts (long story), and he was happy to oblige . Additionally, his prices have always been reasonable, especially considering the fact that he is practically a single source for still-in-production Tualatin adapters.

Reply 29 of 32, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-06-09, 02:02:
BIG UPDATE […]
Show full quote

BIG UPDATE

Low-and-behold, success.

VC820-T.jpg

Glad it worked!

I also have had a great experience with that seller in Korea and I have only heard good things about him. I wanted to source a non-modded Tualatin along with the adapter in two separate non-assembled parts (long story), and he was happy to oblige . Additionally, his prices have always been reasonable, especially considering the fact that he is practically a single source for still-in-production Tualatin adapters.

Thank you again for the idea! It definitely worked out great. He seems like a great fellow and I think I'll be getting some other things from him soon. This experience reinforced that his products are top-notch, especially for a one-man show.

greasemonkey90s wrote on 2022-06-09, 17:13:

This is good news cause i also have a vc820 and a tualatin 1.26 which i was wondering if it would work. Any chance for a share on the bios file.

Absolutely! I'll send you a PM with everything.

-Live Long and Prosper-

Reply 30 of 32, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
WJG6260 wrote on 2022-06-09, 22:43:
Thank you again for the idea! It definitely worked out great. He seems like a great fellow and I think I'll be getting some othe […]
Show full quote
BIG UPDATE […]
Show full quote

BIG UPDATE

Low-and-behold, success.

VC820-T.jpg

Glad it worked!

Thank you again for the idea! It definitely worked out great. He seems like a great fellow and I think I'll be getting some other things from him soon. This experience reinforced that his products are top-notch, especially for a one-man show.

This is good news cause i also have a vc820 and a tualatin 1.26 which i was wondering if it would work. Any chance for a share on the bios file.

Glad to see you got it working, any plans for doing a build with the P3C you got your hands on?

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 31 of 32, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mastergamma12 wrote on 2022-06-09, 23:12:
WJG6260 wrote on 2022-06-09, 22:43:
Thank you again for the idea! It definitely worked out great. He seems like a great fellow and I think I'll be getting some othe […]
Show full quote

Glad it worked!

Glad to see you got it working, any plans for doing a build with the P3C you got your hands on?

Still thinking about it. I am torn at the moment, as my P3C-E lacks an ISA slot and, while the VC820 doesn't have ISA either, it has PC/PCI SBLink, so that's one factor.

Another factor is I'm considering an 840 board, but that has the same downside as the P3C, however the 840 chipset is just way more generous memory bandwidth wise.

I definitely am going to start a thread once I decide. I may have to do a few benchmarks just to see!

-Live Long and Prosper-

Reply 32 of 32, by copper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Dell XPS866 with an OEM D820LP (Intel Lockport) motherboard. This board is the socket 370 successor to the VC820, but with proprietary Dell power and front panel headers and one fan header missing. I can confirm that the Tualatins with adapters from "user8012" on EBay work in this board. I have the Pentium III-S 1266 running now.

You have to update to the custom BIOS he provides in recovery mode. All Intel and Dell VC820 and D820LP motherboards use the same series of BIOSes. The Tualatin BIOS is a modified version of the P18-0041 BIOS available at https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/intel- … ouver#downloads, presumably to include the correct microcode. The chip did not POST without the custom BIOS. I uploaded the BIOS below for archival purposes. Use at your own risk.

The fastest chips for this board must be the Pentium III-S 1400, or the Tualatin Celeron 1400 overclocked to a 133MHz FSB (1862Mhz) if possible. Has anyone done the Celeron overclock successfully? I don't know if it would overcome the benefit of twice the L2 cache of the P3, which is especially valuable with the high-latency RDRAM these boards use. (Edit: it wouldn't Re: What is faster in games? Celeron tualatin 1300@1733 (133FSB) or Pentium 3-S 1400 (133FSB) ?)

Attachments

• Filename
    Intel VC820 D820LP P18 Tualatin BIOS.zip
    File size
    641.34 KiB
    Downloads
    55 downloads
    File comment
    Support Tualatins on Intel and Dell VC820/D820LP I820 boards
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception