VOGONS

SMC (WD) StarCard PLUS (WD/8003S) Win3.1?

Topic actions

First post, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an SMC StarCard PLUS 8003S. Works fine in WFW3.11.

Is it possible to get it to work in Win3.1?

Are there drivers for it (I haven't found any)?

Could I somehow pull the WD80XX.DOS file from WFW3.11 and use it in Win3.1? How?

Edit: to clarify I'm asking if anyone knows of a packet driver for this network card for win3.1 specifically, not how to get tcp/ip working in win3.1 generally. Thanks!

Last edited by ThenZero on 2022-05-16, 03:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 77, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's no native networking support in plain Windows 3.1.
You can only use the NIC via DOS...

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 2 of 77, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IIRC Windows 3.1 (and 3.0) is networking aware, it just doesn't include a network stack - like with MS-DOS you've got to provide that yourself. Microsoft sold the Workgroup add-on for Windows. Novell had their NetWare client as well as Personal NetWare. Probably Banyan VINES and Artisoft LANtastic had some level of Windows 3.1 integration too though I've never actually seen either of those before.

The Workgroup Add-on for Windows is probably what you're after. Windows 3.1 + the workgroup add-on should be functionally equivalent to Windows for Workgroups 3.1:

PXL_20210927_065830530.jpg
Filename
PXL_20210927_065830530.jpg
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
File comment
Workgroup Add-on for Windows
File license
CC-BY-4.0
PXL_20210927_065905588.jpg
Filename
PXL_20210927_065905588.jpg
File size
1.68 MiB
Views
File comment
Windows for Workgroups 3.1
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 3 of 77, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some things maybe worth reading: https://jeffpar.github.io/kbarchive/kb/115/Q115940/
https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index.php?ti … _Archive/126746

probably easier to just upgrade to WFW 3.11

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 77, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2022-05-16, 00:32:

How would I go about doing that? Is there a packet driver for it for DOS?

I mostly just want to ftp to my LAN

Reply 5 of 77, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-05-16, 03:18:

probably easier to just upgrade to WFW 3.11

I do have wfw3.11 on the computer currently. The problem is I can only find soundcard drivers for it for win3.1 😭 trying to get the soundcard and the nic working on the same operating system 🤣

Reply 6 of 77, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would have thought any sound drivers for 3.1 would have worked fine on 3.11. What sound card do you have?

If you want TCP/IP networking on DOS (including FTP), this is probably the best choice: https://www.brutman.com/mTCP/mTCP.html. There are network drive options for DOS too though they pretty much all want a Linux server of some kind to talk to for various reasons.

Reply 7 of 77, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThenZero wrote on 2022-05-16, 03:23:

You need the following:
1. packet driver for your card - probably SMC_WD, from Crynwr
2. WINPKT, from Crynwr
3. Trumpet Winsock
4. some FTP client for Win16, WWW browsers should work as well

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 8 of 77, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
davidrg wrote on 2022-05-16, 03:39:

I would have thought any sound drivers for 3.1 would have worked fine on 3.11. What sound card do you have?

It's a soundblaster ct4170. I tried installing under wfw3.11 but got no sound. Under win3.1 it works perfectly.

Reply 9 of 77, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ThenZero wrote on 2022-05-16, 04:07:
davidrg wrote on 2022-05-16, 03:39:

It's a soundblaster ct4170. I tried installing under wfw3.11 but got no sound. Under win3.1 it works perfectly.

Don't think I've ever had any difficulty getting similar age creative cards working under 3.11. You could try grabbing the latest drivers from Creative (click view all downloads at the bottom of the page for DOS/Windows 3.1x).

Reply 10 of 77, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
davidrg wrote on 2022-05-16, 04:20:

Don't think I've ever had any difficulty getting similar age creative cards working under 3.11. You could try grabbing the latest drivers from Creative (click view all downloads at the bottom of the page for DOS/Windows 3.1x).

I'll give that a shot, thanks

Reply 11 of 77, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
davidrg wrote on 2022-05-16, 04:20:

Would you suggest starting with a fresh install or upgrading from the win3.1 install where the soundcard is already working?

Reply 14 of 77, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grzyb wrote on 2022-05-16, 03:48:
You need the following: 1. packet driver for your card - probably SMC_WD, from Crynwr 2. WINPKT, from Crynwr 3. Trumpet Winsock […]
Show full quote
ThenZero wrote on 2022-05-16, 03:23:

You need the following:
1. packet driver for your card - probably SMC_WD, from Crynwr
2. WINPKT, from Crynwr
3. Trumpet Winsock
4. some FTP client for Win16, WWW browsers should work as well

This. I just went through this process on my 286 running Windows 3.1 in standard mode.

The "internet.zip" located here:
http://www.k7tty.com/Utilities/Windows31/index.html

Should have everything you need except SMC_WD.COM that you can get from crnwyr

Reply 15 of 77, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I gave this a shot and the packet driver seems to work and shows the right Mac address and settings, winpkt looks good, tcpman lets me set up the IP address but...it won't ping the router. When I turn on the trace it shows the Mac address for destination and source as all zeros.. What does that mean??

Reply 17 of 77, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First, make sure the packet driver matches your hardware, and is properly configured.
You can eg. try running mTCP with that driver.

Reply 18 of 77, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you to everyone! I at least now can select whether to use the network card or the sound card (but not both...more on that in a sec).

I never did get SMC_WD to work, but I went back to the WFW3.11 installation where the network card was working and found a folder called "Packet" that had "PKT8000.COM" in it and THAT worked great.

Turns out there is SOME kind of conflict between the network card and the sound card because once I initialize the packet driver, the sound card won't work in Windows again after that. Any idea why that might be?

Here are the current settings of everything that is installed:

XTIDE card, I/O 0x300, 0xcc00
Sound card, IRQ 5, I/O 0x220
Midi I/O 0x330
SMC StarCard IRQ 3, I/O 0x280, Addr 0xD400

Also I'm getting random application lock ups now if I have mTCP on and sound going. I also tried using Trumpet Winsock and sound at the same time, and that caused the whole system to lock up.

Reply 19 of 77, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very strange.

I've no idea what the SMC StarCard Plus is - there doesn't really seem to be much out there on the internet about it. Even the archived version of SMCs website from 1996 doesn't seem to mention it. It calls the 8003-based cards the "Elite 16 Ultra" or "EtherCard Plus". The few 8003-based cards I've got are all very old 8bit ISA cards so perhaps even in 1996 it was too old for SMC to bother writing about on their website.

I've got the Elite16/EtherCard Plus drivers archived here perhaps they may work better (check the README file for descriptions of the files). It may also be worth trying the newer drivers in ether.exe - the documentation claims the drivers for WFW at least support WD8003 cards.