VOGONS

First post, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I have been looking at IBM PS/1 machines because I have fond memories of the PS/1 consultant that my best friend had back in 1992-93. I know it was a multimedia machine, but I couldn't find one that matched what his machine had which was I believe a 200ish MB hard drive, a 2x speed CDROM drive run to a Sound Blaster 16, with a 486SX-25 and 4MB of RAM. I found something close that had the front door intact, which was a plus, and it's the same shape, with the 5x5 I guess format? The model I found is the 2155-G54. I looked into the information regarding the specs and thought it looked okay, aside from no L2 cache functionality. The machine arrived last night and was packed superbly. I plugged in a monitor, added a 512MB CF drive and installed DOS from my DOS 6.0 Floppy disks. I immediately noticed something strange. Instead of saying XX%Completed above the progress bar while installing DOS it said XX%completeee. I thought maybe it was the RAM installed, and figured I would get around to swapping it out. I have plenty of 1MB 30 pin simms. But then when I booted back into DOS and ran a MEM /C/P to see how the memory broke down, the screen went in a way I had never seen before.

20220519_214538.jpg
Filename
20220519_214538.jpg
File size
819.99 KiB
Views
File comment
garbled text when the screen is filled
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Now this seems to only happen when I fill the screen with text. in various games some screens took fine, and then others when sprites are applied or text is overlayed, I get some really weird pixel corruption. I used my ISA video card I had sitting here as the board only has ISA slots and the corruption went away entirely. So it would seem that it's something in the integrated video section. Am I right in thinking that this is the something with the RAM?

20220520_190747.jpg
Filename
20220520_190747.jpg
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File comment
This screen looks fine.....
File license
CC-BY-4.0
20220520_190757.jpg
Filename
20220520_190757.jpg
File size
1.22 MiB
Views
File comment
...This one not so much...
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The video ram is MT4C4256DJ-7 which I can't seem to find anywhere one, and two it's surface mount which I don't know how to solder. I found some chips that look to be the same type, CMOS DRAM 256Kx4 that are SOJ as well, but they are 60ns vs 70ns, and I am not technical enough to understand if there are any other underlying differences between the two types of chips. I checked the outline and pin layout between the two and they *seem* the same, but I am wrong a lot. The RAM I found that I think is the same or close is HY534256A. The one difference I can understand from the information I can read is that the HY534256A uses more power in standby? And possibly more power while running? Both are 5V +/-10% but I know that something can look exactly the same with components and they can be intrinsically different. If someone smarter than I could take a look and see if these parts might be capable of a swap, if it's the RAM (which again I would love the input from people much smarter than I) then I hopefully can hire someone to remove the defective RAM and replace it with new old stock chips that I can purchase. Anyway, is this something that is doable? Or should I just get an ISA video card that has the same graphics chip and use it instead? Thank you for taking a look and giving me your advice.

Regards,
Nate

Reply 3 of 4, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess that the question I should ask is does this look like a Video RAM issue? Or is it something else? I would think that it's not the graphics chip as the display works for the most part, and only corrupts when the screen in DOS is filled, or when certain effects are displayed on the screen.

Reply 4 of 4, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Follow up to this. Interestingly enough, I got the surface mount chips in, and even though they have the same number of pins and everything else seems to match, they aren't the right size? They are a bit bigger, which offsets the legs, so I clearly bought the wrong chips. But I also bought chips to put in the sockets to bring the RAM to 1MB so I installed them. The majority of graphics corruption is gone. However something interesting has popped up in its place. Sometimes when exiting a program or at boot. The machine will boot in Grayscale VGA. It's not much of an issue, I just reboot and it clears up. But I thought I would share.