VOGONS

Reply 20 of 44, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would recommend:

IDE HDD Block Mode: Enabled
Delayed Transaction: Enabled

Other options I would turn on which won't have an effect on SSD speed but I would still recommend them:
Assign IRQ for VGA: Enabled
HDD S.M.A.R.T capability: Enabled
Video BIOS Shadow: Enabled

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 21 of 44, by chiveicrook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AlexZ wrote on 2022-05-25, 15:54:
I would recommend: […]
Show full quote

I would recommend:

IDE HDD Block Mode: Enabled
Delayed Transaction: Enabled

Other options I would turn on which won't have an effect on SSD speed but I would still recommend them:
Assign IRQ for VGA: Enabled
HDD S.M.A.R.T capability: Enabled
Video BIOS Shadow: Enabled

I wouldn't recommend "Assign IRQ for VGA: Enabled" so quickly, as far as I remember it's a legacy option for ISA/early PCI VGA cards.
Also delayed transaction depends if there are any cards in use that are not PCI2.1 compliant.

Reply 22 of 44, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-05-25, 05:11:
I would try turning Delayed Transaction off, L2 ECC off and the ECC on the RAM off. […]
Show full quote

I would try turning Delayed Transaction off, L2 ECC off and the ECC on the RAM off.

Try them one at a time.

You may be reaching the limit of that board, but I would think you should be able to get a bit higher.

Try without the USB 2 card installed as well.

delayed transaction is off already. changing the ecc stuff did nothing.

disabling the usb card bought it up to high 80s low 90s. so i guess the usb card is making the problem. so how do i force windows into giving the usb card a dif irq from the sata card. windows refuses to let me manually change the irq for either device in normal mode, in safe mode i was able to make a change but then windows though protection error on reboot. it don't seem to mater weather i swap the cards between slot 3 4 or 5 something from the usb and sata cards always follow each other.

Reply 26 of 44, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2022-05-25, 18:26:
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-05-25, 17:35:

If you're only using one of the IDE ports, I would disable the other to free up resources.

What resources will this free up?

An IRQ and a memory address. The only way I could get the S150 TX2 working in my Amptron motherboard was to disable one of the IDE ports, which is an issue I've become accustomed to since it's also the only way to get a Promise Ultra 100 to work in either of my MVP3 motherboards.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 27 of 44, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-05-25, 18:35:
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-05-25, 17:35:

If you're only using one of the IDE ports, I would disable the other to free up resources.

An IRQ and a memory address. The only way I could get the S150 TX2 working in my Amptron motherboard was to disable one of the IDE ports, which is an issue I've become accustomed to since it's also the only way to get a Promise Ultra 100 to work in either of my MVP3 motherboards.

I've had this card in intel,asus gigabyte, and dell boards and never had to disable the ide to make it work.

wouldn't suprise me though with Amptron that was one awful company. i had one of there socket A boards back in the day it died after a few months of use.

RMA with them was crap. first off there only phone number at the time was long distances no 800 number. second they only had a us office so i had to pay shipping from canada to us.

3rd is were its gets crappiest in order to RMA with them ud had to pay a $30 service fee... and they didn't even say it had to be in USD. plus it had to be by money order or certified cheque all witch cost more. so i send them one for $30 Cad and they say not good enough. so had to do it all over again with USD cheque.

then after all that they send me a DOA board and want me to pay return shipping and the $30 all over again no option to waive it.

never had another company that made me pay a fee just to do an RMA.

Reply 28 of 44, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aaron158 wrote on 2022-05-25, 18:49:
I've had this card in intel,asus gigabyte, and dell boards and never had to disable the ide to make it work. […]
Show full quote

I've had this card in intel,asus gigabyte, and dell boards and never had to disable the ide to make it work.

wouldn't suprise me though with Amptron that was one awful company. i had one of there socket A boards back in the day it died after a few months of use.

RMA with them was crap. first off there only phone number at the time was long distances no 800 number. second they only had a us office so i had to pay shipping from canada to us.

3rd is were its gets crappiest in order to RMA with them ud had to pay a $30 service fee... and they didn't even say it had to be in USD. plus it had to be by money order or certified cheque all witch cost more. so i send them one for $30 Cad and they say not good enough. so had to do it all over again with USD cheque.

then after all that they send me a DOA board and want me to pay return shipping and the $30 all over again no option to waive it.

It was also necessary on my Epox 8KRA2+. In both cases, after setting it up and testing it out the result was that the speed difference was negligible between it and the native IDE port, so I went back to using the IDE port with a SATA to IDE adapter on both of those. And no matter what I did, I wasn't able to get it to work with my Epox MVP3G-M so I went back to the Ultra 100.

Reply 29 of 44, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-05-25, 19:05:
aaron158 wrote on 2022-05-25, 18:49:
I've had this card in intel,asus gigabyte, and dell boards and never had to disable the ide to make it work. […]
Show full quote

It was also necessary on my Epox 8KRA2+. In both cases, after setting it up and testing it out the result was that the speed difference was negligible between it and the native IDE port, so I went back to using the IDE port with a SATA to IDE adapter on both of those. And no matter what I did, I wasn't able to get it to work with my Epox MVP3G-M so I went back to the Ultra 100.

i guess if u have a board with onboard ata 100/133 it would probly be better to use that t hen one of these cards. but this gigabyte board only had ata33 via the intel chipset and it has a second ide control with ata66 witch i think is a promise chip if i recall. so even doing 73mb/s with the sata card should be more then even the ata 66 could do.

Reply 30 of 44, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aaron158 wrote on 2022-05-25, 17:01:
I would try turning Delayed Transaction off, L2 ECC off and the ECC on the RAM off. […]
Show full quote

I would try turning Delayed Transaction off, L2 ECC off and the ECC on the RAM off.

Try them one at a time.

You may be reaching the limit of that board, but I would think you should be able to get a bit higher.

disabling the usb card bought it up to high 80s low 90s. so i guess the usb card is making the problem. so how do i force windows into giving the usb card a dif irq from the sata card. windows refuses to let me manually change the irq for either device in normal mode, in safe mode i was able to make a change but then windows though protection error on reboot. it don't seem to mater weather i swap the cards between slot 3 4 or 5 something from the usb and sata cards always follow each other.

I mean for Delayed Transaction to be turned ON. I edited it and switched on to off on accident.

Try the latency timer utility here:
https://www.overclockers.com/agp-pci-latency-utility/

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 31 of 44, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chiveicrook wrote on 2022-05-25, 16:12:

I wouldn't recommend "Assign IRQ for VGA: Enabled" so quickly, as far as I remember it's a legacy option for ISA/early PCI VGA cards.
Also delayed transaction depends if there are any cards in use that are not PCI2.1 compliant.

AGP graphics cards do use IRQ too. It is clearly shown in video device resources tab. Using "Assign IRQ for VGA: Disabled" leads to misleading boot up screen when VGA IRQ will not be visible but still allocated in Windows. Disabling it would only have an effect when "PNP OS" is set to No (BIOS screen not shown in posts) as in that case BIOS assigns IRQs and it would skip the graphics card. I believe AGP graphics cards cannot fully function in Windows without an IRQ. In case "PNP OS" is set to Yes then VGA IRQ setting will be ignored by Windows. Those who leave the VGA IRQ setting as disabled are only misleading themselves to believe they are saving an IRQ when they aren't. I prefer accurate BIOS boot up screen with IRQ allocation.

As far as delayed transactions are concerned, I never had problem with them enabled and in case performance problems are experienced it is worth trying to enable them.

In my opinion there are also other unrelated settings that could be safely enabled like System BIOS Cacheable, Video BIOS Cacheable as those are legacy settings more relevant for 486 and their small L1/L2 caches rather than PII-III. Caching those areas will have no effect in Windows and should not have a negative performance impact due to larger caches and old DOS applications not being able to use much of system memory.

The built-in PCI IDE controller that does not have any device attached to it should be disabled.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 32 of 44, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-05-25, 19:53:
I mean for Delayed Transaction to be turned ON. I edited it and switched on to off on accident. […]
Show full quote
aaron158 wrote on 2022-05-25, 17:01:
Show full quote

Try them one at a time.

I mean for Delayed Transaction to be turned ON. I edited it and switched on to off on accident.

Try the latency timer utility here:
https://www.overclockers.com/agp-pci-latency-utility/

turning on delayed transaction did nothing for the speed.

seems that the only way to get the full 90ish mb/s is to get rid of the usb card. no matter what slots i use for the sata and usb cards 1 of 3 things on the list for the usb card always has 1 irq that matches up with the irq given to the sata card. windows refuses to let me manually change the the irq in normal mode of either the usb card or the sata card. i can change the irq in safe mode but then either windows freezes at boot up or gives a protection error.

so seemingly the choices are 73 mb/s with usb card or 90ish without usb card unless someone knows of a way i can force windows to give the sata card its own irq.

i also tired changing turning off the ide channel that is not in use as someone else suggested and it made no dif.

Reply 34 of 44, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I challenge you to notice the difference between 70 & 90mb/s

I'd wager nobody could unless you were literally sitting there, copying files with a stopwatch.

Do what is most convenient.

That said, its my personal rule, to not use usb2 cards on windows 98. They have a tendency to not get along in my experience.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 35 of 44, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can always lower the USB polling rate.

That will most likely help out with the SATA throughput as the USB card will then be doing less in regards to IRQ transactions.

Edit:
https://github.com/LordOfMice/hidusbf

Note: Pretty sure this will only make a difference for devices plugged into the USB ports.

Otherwise, it is a driver issue with the driver checking for devices too often. If you are only using USB for data transfer, you can always try disabling the driver and then enable it when you need to use USB.

Are you using NUSB for the USB driver?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 36 of 44, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-05-25, 23:04:
You can always lower the USB polling rate. […]
Show full quote

You can always lower the USB polling rate.

That will most likely help out with the SATA throughput as the USB card will then be doing less in regards to IRQ transactions.

Edit:
https://github.com/LordOfMice/hidusbf

Note: Pretty sure this will only make a difference for devices plugged into the USB ports.

Otherwise, it is a driver issue with the driver checking for devices too often. If you are only using USB for data transfer, you can always try disabling the driver and then enable it when you need to use USB.

Are you using NUSB for the USB driver?

yes nusb36e.

problem is when u try to disable the usb 2 card windows just bluescreens and then u can't get out of the bluescreen and when u boot back up its not disabled.

Reply 37 of 44, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well that is lame....

Do you have the actual Microsoft updates installed? The ISO for the 2004 update CD is available on vogonsdrivers.com

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 38 of 44, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The consensus in this thread was that NEC based USB 2.0 cards seems to work the best with older computers/operating systems. What chip does your USB card have?
Which USB 2.0 cards for old motherboards

Reply 39 of 44, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-05-26, 00:36:

The consensus in this thread was that NEC based USB 2.0 cards seems to work the best with older computers/operating systems. What chip does your USB card have?
Which USB 2.0 cards for old motherboards

nec