VOGONS

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know there's any number of failure points for electronics with moving parts, like grease drying up, belts becoming brittle, oxidation on contacts/etc, but what about something along the lines of a soundcard, video card, motherboard?

I think the obvious ones I know of are batteries and electrolytic capacitors.

I've always heard that tantalum capacitors have a higher chance to short if the device has been unpowered for a long period of time.

I've had an oscillator fail as well on a Tandy 2500XL.

I've seen reports of randomly corrupted eeprom data, unsure if that is a thing that can happen over time, or from cosmic rays or anything like that...

What else happens to idle electronics that might cause a perfectly functional piece of hardware to completely fail to work the next time it's used?

Reply 1 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Optical drives using rubber bands come to mind. I've understood these can dry out after a while.
I haven't really heard of a good solution except that apparently these can be rehydrated by putting them in some water? Never tried this myself, so I don't know how reliable this info was.

And if stored improperly, certain items can start rusting or oxidizing.
In some cases boards may start bending if stored improperly which could cause solder joints to go bad.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 13, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

rifa capacitors - blow up
tin whiskers - grow on their own, shorts
tin oxidation - erosion, brittle/dried/cracked solder joins
adhesives, glues, paints, not quite silicones near conductive traces - chemical/thermal degradation, become conductive
switches, plastic gears, sometimes even old inductors - crumbling brittle plastics fall apart
potentiometers/trimmers - corrosion, dissimilar metal corrosion, get stuck or go open
connectors, sockets - oxidation, corrosion, lose contact
very old lcd - delamination
any mechanisms - old grease solidifies, get stuck
rubber, elastics in mechanisms- chemical degradation, become semi liquid and glue surroundings shut. Main reason for old HDDs being dead is head arm rubber bumpstop changing its phase.

Last edited by rasz_pl on 2022-05-28, 09:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ancient transistors with Germanium.
Crystaline structures may grow inside them.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote on 2022-05-28, 05:47:

Good Haiku.

What do you mean with this?

Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-29, 09:27:

Good Haiku.

A celebrated Japanese form of poetry. rasz_pl's list sounds like multiple haikus. Now i can't get it out of my head either 😜

I work at the local repair cafe. We (unfortunately :'( ) don't get any computing stuff more vintage than 10 year old laptops with dead storage media or blown-out charging circuits, but lots of 1980s and 1990s audio equipment. Based on experiences there, I'd say that mechanical degradation of rubber (drive belts...) is a bigger issue than caps degrading, but conversely, if a rubber band dies, there's no damage to anything else, whereas dead caps can do really nasty things, particularly dead tantalum ones failing short.

Reply 9 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2022-05-29, 10:19:
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-29, 09:27:

Good Haiku.

A celebrated Japanese form of poetry. rasz_pl's list sounds like multiple haikus. Now i can't get it out of my head either 😜

I work at the local repair cafe. We (unfortunately :'( ) don't get any computing stuff more vintage than 10 year old laptops with dead storage media or blown-out charging circuits, but lots of 1980s and 1990s audio equipment. Based on experiences there, I'd say that mechanical degradation of rubber (drive belts...) is a bigger issue than caps degrading, but conversely, if a rubber band dies, there's no damage to anything else, whereas dead caps can do really nasty things, particularly dead tantalum ones failing short.

I don't think I ever heard of a malware removal program that can effectively remove earworms so I'm afraid you're gonna be stuck with it for now xD

I still even find some old speakers or stereo equipment at the trash from time to time and last week one of the thrift stores I visited also had some stereo equipment. Heck, they even had some LPs 😁
And finding anything older than LGA775 is also something of an oddity these days, even though I actually found a beige P3 system recently. Even had a GF2 in there! ^^
But other than that, heck I've even found some FM2 OEM system last year, came with a 1TB HDD and DDR3 memory, what people are throwing out these days 😒

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 13, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

capacitors (electrolytic and tantalum), eproms, sram chips, some older dram chips, some chipsets? (i stored 6 ali V boards all working, 4 are now faulty with either "gate a20 error" on boot or freezing while loading himem.sys)

Reply 11 of 13, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Socket3 wrote on 2022-05-29, 18:17:

sram chips, some older dram chips, some chipsets

Semiconductors usually dont die on their own unpowered in storage. They are made from inert materials. What mostly happens is people pulling stuff that was put in storage because it was broken in the first place, or damage happens while powering on due to other factors.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 12 of 13, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-05-30, 04:17:
Socket3 wrote on 2022-05-29, 18:17:

sram chips, some older dram chips, some chipsets

Semiconductors usually dont die on their own unpowered in storage. They are made from inert materials. What mostly happens is people pulling stuff that was put in storage because it was broken in the first place, or damage happens while powering on due to other factors.

SRAM and old DRAM is know to go bad. There are entire threads on VCFED about this - particularly DRAM and SRAM chips used on XT class machines and older.

While you are right about semiconductors being mostly inert, the chips themselves are made of many other materials like plastics, organic substrates and various metals. Any of these on their own or in contact with each other might degrade or interact with each other and/or air over long periods of time (in some cases 40+) years, causing the aforementioned chips to go bad.

Traces of certain chemicals used in the manufacturing process may have also become embedded inside the chip packages, chemicals that could theoretically interact with other components causing them to go bad over long periods of time. I've seen examples of PCBs themselves degrading over time - like one of my LS486e mainboards, witch due to manufacturing defects had air bubbles trapped inside the PCB around the cache chips. They look like air bubbles under a magnifying glass, but x-rays reveled tiny cylindrical cavities, witch indicates that those "bubbles" contained trace amounts chemicals that reacted very slowly with surrounding material - the substrate itself as well as the embedded copper, causing shorts and broken traces and rendering the L2 cache inoperable.

I've had this particular board for quite a while now - over 10 years, and over the las 4 I've noticed strange discoloration on the back of the motherboard under the L2 cache sockets. I didn't pay any attention to it until last year when the board became unstable and eventually stopped detecting L2 cache altogether.

Semiconductors and semiconductor packaging technologies are a relatively new, and we are only now seeing how very long periods of time affects their integrity and functionality.

As for "was put in storage because it was broken in the first place" this may be true for some, but I'm very meticulous when it comes to storing my hardware. Everything is categories, stored in anti-static bags of the appropriate size and in case of long term storage even accompanied by silica gel packages. Defective components are stored in separatly, and are labeled with date tested, confirmed or possible defect and probability of repair as well as a parts list required for said repair. Components witch I deem unsalvageable are stored in big plastic bins, marked with a permanent marker and either sent off to be recycled (I trade them for other parts at e-waste centers) or used as parts donors (ICs, sockets, MOSFETS, Diodes, capacitors, etc). Despite all these precautions I've had loads of known good hardware go bad in storage.

The worse offenders are electrolytic capacitors - be it SMD or trough hole types. Just now I pulled one of my Abit AN7 boards from storage and noticed it has 2 bulging 3300uf capacitors, one just south of the ram slots and another near the southbridge, as well as two caved in capacitors - both near the CPU socket. The board powers on normally but is unstable in windows. Same happened to an Asus P4-P800-E. Both these boards were stored in their original boxes, in anti-static bags, together with their manuals and i/o plates. I have pictures of the boards before placing them in storage so there's no mistaking the fact that the capacitors bulged while the boards were stored.

Second is EPROM and EEPROMs. For UV-EPROMs it's easy to imagine that the label on top of the glass window used for UV erasing could become damaged or was not completely opaque, letting some amount of light in witch slowly over very long periods of time could have corrupted the contents.... but I store my boards either in individual boxes, metal cabinets with drawers or black plastic boxes with lids... there's no way light could have gotten in. And what about electrically erasable programmable ROMs and Flash EPROMs? I've had a few of these fail in storage - particularly on 2003-2004 Asus and 2001-2002 Abit motherboards using PLCC chips.

As for "or damage happens while powering on", I've only experienced this with Tantalum Capacitors, MOSFETS and some diodes. Sure, I've had electrolytic caps blow up in my face at power on, but that was due to the fact that they were shorted - probably because they "dried out".

Reply 13 of 13, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good Haiku.

😀 it does read well

in general what goes wrong (in human lifetimes) is anything that might rust, anything that might change physical property over time (eg rubber), anything that might change due to chemical reaction , anything that might be altered over time by temperature fluctuations and anything that might break due to physical action (ie moving things)

so pretty much anything

but well stored stuff tends to last a very long time indeed and if you make efforts to package them in such a way as to keep out water, keep them in steady conditions and not move them about too much they'll more likely be fine