VOGONS

3C905C on OS2

Topic actions

First post, by Gopher666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I wonder if anyone succeeded with this card, precisely 3c905C-TX/TX-M works fine in all old OSes.

However OS2 is always a basket case, now I getting close to at least making it work on some old hardware, because this beast won't run on tons of older machines.

To be precise this is the "newer" version of OS2: Os2 Warp 5 Ecomstation 1.1

The card has a driver which looks like this at install: http://asavage.dyndns.org/OS2/3C905/3C905.html

I install the OS2 NDIS driver but afterwards at boot I just get tons of errors like

SYS1201: The device driver C:\IBMCOM\PROTMAN.OS2 specified in the DEVICE statement was not installed.

Ndis driver for 3C59X Family Adapters v1.2f
C:\IBMCOM\MACS\EL59.oS2
Error: Initialization failure. Driver will not be installed.

Reply 1 of 4, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wrong driver? 3C59X doesn't look like the driver for a 3C905.

According to the page you linked, the correct driver was distributed in 3c90x2.exe which you can grab from here: https://ftp.zx.net.nz/pub/drivers/3Com/3com_n … c90x/3c90x2.exe

Reply 2 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep think that is wrong driver too 😀 Good eye davidrg !
You can also get it here: http://asavage.dyndns.org/ftp/Drivers/3Com/3C905c/
3c90xx2.exe as linked in the 3c905.html and the 3c90x2.exe file too.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 4, by Gopher666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the answers. Yeah actually it was ... a clusterfuck but I get it working 😉

I share the solution because there might be somebody some day for some reason want to torture himself with OS2.

So that EL59.oS2 I don't even know where that was coming from, the setup put it in there or whatever but this had to be nuked from the C:\CONFIG.SYS

Beyond this the C:\MACS\PROTOCOL.INI has to be deleted but since this is write protected has to be done with a rescue CD.

Here comes what blows my mind, this OS has a plethora of Networking, TCP/IP configuration, LAN Services, TCP/IP shadows, Connection manager and what the FK NOT but none of these tools are actually what you need to configure the networking :XXX

It is called Multi-Protocol Transport Services MTPS and after trying to find it for half an hour in the menu I realized it is NOT in the menu 😦

Omfg so with the finder you need to search for *MPTS* in the whole disc (subfolders included), trust me it's there (although it's removable).

In this tool go in Configure add adapters "Other adapters". Now you will need 2 files only from that installer set and those are in the NDIS2\OS2 folder of that driver set, the OS2 file and the NIF file.
Of course to make your life harder browsing is NOT possible you have to enter the path manually.

After this wonderful addition you will still have no clue what is the card what you just added, because it's not switching to it, or putting it to the beginning or the end of the list, no it's just gonna add it somewhere in alphabetical order while there are a bunch of other cards with similar name.

This card is the " 3Com Fast EtherLink/Etherlink XL Family OS/2" and not the one with the same name and with the busmaster in it.

Afte this select the protocol TCP/IP and NetBIOS (NOT NetBIOS over TCP/IP) and add them, in case you don't add the later there are some services which rely on it which will fail at each boot so you must.

God bless OS2 😁

Reply 4 of 4, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, in my limited adventures with OS/2 networking in Warp 4 it was easiest to stick with period correct hardware that has drivers on the CD (AMD PCnet or DEC 21040 is what I used) - then the installer seems to set everything up OK itself. I think part of why its a bit of a mess is because networking used to be a sold-separately add-on or, in the case of Warp 3, you had to buy the special Connect edition to get anything more than basic dial-up networking. So its all less well integrated than it should be.

That said, network drives are pretty easy to get on any version of OS/2 provided you've got a NetWare-compatible server running on a Pi or in a VM (NetWare, Mars NWE, Microsoft File & Print Services for NetWare) - the NetWare client doesn't rely on any of IBMs networking mess and if its not there it does everything itself making the setup pretty easy. Not much help if the goal is a web browser though.