Topic actions

Reply 20 of 71, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JamesF36 wrote on 2022-06-14, 01:26:
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-14, 00:54:

I haven’t done much tinkering with scsi but I believe those adapters are for 50 pin drives on 80 pin controllers? Are they not?

Oh no, so it has a female 50 pin end where the cable will go in, along with a molex connector (since 80 pin drives use power over the 80 pin connector) and the other side is a 80 pin male end

I'm hoping the next adapter works (which in theory should considering this is a similar outcome as someone else) and it was extremely hard to find this type of adapter with a terminator built onto the adapter, usually you just find them for sale with no termination on it at all (those ebay and amazon ones)

Gotcha. Yeah the last time I messed with scsi was the early 2000’s 🤣

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 21 of 71, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Assuming you've set the ID to something below 7 and have an external terminator installed, it should just work. I haven't done much stuff with modern drives on narrow SCSI. I know early SCSI 3 fast wide drives could usually connect to narrow SCSI, never tried it with a LVD drive (80/160/320) though. I would check if the drives can actually connect to a SE (single ended) bus like you have. They may have a jumper on the bottom or front forcing SE mode.

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 22 of 71, by JamesF36

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mR_Slug wrote on 2022-06-14, 20:26:

Assuming you've set the ID to something below 7 and have an external terminator installed, it should just work. I haven't done much stuff with modern drives on narrow SCSI. I know early SCSI 3 fast wide drives could usually connect to narrow SCSI, never tried it with a LVD drive (80/160/320) though. I would check if the drives can actually connect to a SE (single ended) bus like you have. They may have a jumper on the bottom or front forcing SE mode.

Yeah I set the ID for the drive so many times between 0, 1, 2, 3.. of course the host being 7.

I wish these drives had any jumper on them, they're Fujitsu maw3073nc

Reply 23 of 71, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the manual states it will sync down to 20MB/s narrow 8 bit mode. This is an ultra scsi-3 mode.

Regular scsi-2 syncs at 5MB/a and fast scsi-2 syncs at 10MB/s. So unless you controller specifically states it is ultra scsi, it will never work with these drives. Sorry.

Attachments

• s.jpg
    Filename
    s.jpg
    File size
    42.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 24 of 71, by JamesF36

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the proper (terminated) adapter came today that was super hard to find - and I am extremely happy to say that it works! The SCSI card now picks up the 73gb 10,000RPM drive. I am really happy considering I tried everything and this finally made the drive work and be picked up by the system.

Now all that's left is the voltage regulator to show up so I can start this project of running the socket 7 cpu stable/(ly?) without issue and install Windows 2000 on the (much larger) hard drive

Attachments

Reply 25 of 71, by JamesF36

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally got the motherboard out of the casing, here's a detailed photo of it. I also got the new voltage regulator in the mail yesterday so that means this board will finally have a voltage regulator rated for 7 amps!

Attachments

Reply 26 of 71, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JamesF36 wrote on 2022-06-19, 15:38:

Finally got the motherboard out of the casing, here's a detailed photo of it. I also got the new voltage regulator in the mail yesterday so that means this board will finally have a voltage regulator rated for 7 amps!

twice the current is asking a LOT from the motherboard. I dont see the point, but good luck in your build

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 28 of 71, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was looking at that also. I think it’s ram.

BloodyCactus wrote on 2022-06-19, 17:11:
JamesF36 wrote on 2022-06-19, 15:38:

twice the current is asking a LOT from the motherboard. I dont see the point, but good luck in your build

We don’t know what the motherboard can handle but it can probably handle 7a.

Unfortunately, even at 7a there are still some processors that get around 20-24w (I think the highest is around 30, but that’s a single plane chip and the regulators can share the load with that one, cyrix 166? Was it?) anyway, 20-24w dual plane exceeds 7a. Unsure if they rate that 7a with or without a heatsink. It may be without. I suspect that this will probably work out.

Edit: had to remind myself, this is a single plane board. I can see this is the case in the pic btw.

No dual plane cpus for you without a interposer.

Best you can hope for is a mmx overdrive 200 or a k6-233.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 29 of 71, by JamesF36

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's alive! The new voltage regulator works - and the best part is I have a tiny little fan blowing on it to cool it down, now, as you can see in the photo with the jumpers set for "100mhz" on the old cpu this 200mhz pentium mmx posts as a 133mhz.. I wonder what I have to do to get it at 200mhz or even 233... I know this motherboard has those extra jumpers that let the original pentium get up to 133mhz so I wonder if I put a jumper on those two unjumped pins and move the other jumper if it'll work

Attachments

Reply 30 of 71, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Configure the board to use pentium 100 except voltage. This will be interpreted as 3.5X for 233 MMX. For 200 MMX, configure the board for pentium 200 which is 3x.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 31 of 71, by JamesF36

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately it seems that I will be getting a socket 7 board... it wont proceed to boot after POST when I started to mess with the jumpers and even putting everything back to how it was it just simply wont boot after posting... it wont even show the SCSI card doing it's thing during POST.. hmm.. I give up 🤣, I should've just gotten a socket 7 board to begin with instead of trying so hard to get this socket 5 board to exceed it's limits, I don't understand why it won't get through with posting now, makes no sense...

Reply 32 of 71, by JamesF36

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay I take that back - It seems if I clear CMOS and I don't enter setup/save setup and just choose F1 to continue when it complains about CMOS checksum and all of that - it boots perfectly fine, yay... so now I guess that's a bandaid fix.. now I'll install Windows 2000 on that SCSI drive and see how stable the system is (obviously not to a good start)

Reply 33 of 71, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JamesF36 wrote on 2022-06-20, 01:01:

Unfortunately it seems that I will be getting a socket 7 board... it wont proceed to boot after POST when I started to mess with the jumpers and even putting everything back to how it was it just simply wont boot after posting... it wont even show the SCSI card doing it's thing during POST.. hmm.. I give up 🤣, I should've just gotten a socket 7 board to begin with instead of trying so hard to get this socket 5 board to exceed it's limits, I don't understand why it won't get through with posting now, makes no sense...

You put half a volt more into the chip than it was rated for. Of course it’s hard to say for sure over the internet that that is what you broke. But maybe. A pentium mmx in a socket 5 is a bad idea. Some have gotten away with it, but you should not do it.

Edit: good that the cmos made it work. You should really stop using that chip though. Wait till you can run it properly.

However, this is all happening at a rather convenient time. As my voltage interposer is now beta.

Re: Socket 5/7/SS7 (Voltage Interposer) Tweaker. (Alpha)

As for setting the multipliers, see the other various tweaker flavors.

Links in sig under sphere’s pcb projects

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 34 of 71, by JamesF36

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-20, 02:35:
You put half a volt more into the chip than it was rated for. Of course it’s hard to say for sure over the internet that that is […]
Show full quote
JamesF36 wrote on 2022-06-20, 01:01:

You put half a volt more into the chip than it was rated for. Of course it’s hard to say for sure over the internet that that is what you broke. But maybe. A pentium mmx in a socket 5 is a bad idea. Some have gotten away with it, but you should not do it.

Edit: good that the cmos made it work. You should really stop using that chip though. Wait till you can run it properly.

However, this is all happening at a rather convenient time. As my voltage interposer is now beta.

Re: Socket 5/7/SS7 (Voltage Interposer) Tweaker. (Alpha)

As for setting the multipliers, see the other various tweaker flavors.

Links in sig under sphere’s pcb projects

Definitely looking into the tweakers, I've been following your voltage interposer before I even made my account - very interesting. I think I'm switching the MMX out for the K6-233

It's interesting that the jumpers that caused the old Pentium 75 to run at 133 doesn't seem to affect this MMX, it just maxes out on 133mhz in the post splashscreen.. I don't know though since this motherboard never really supported such a fast chip maybe it is running at a faster speed than it's reporting? Only one way to find out once I get an OS installed and I see what it says

Reply 35 of 71, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re: Pentium MMX Multipliers

You may be experiencing a multiplier scramble some of the mmx chips got that when intel locked out the higher multipliers. (Several same s spec chips can react as many as three different ways to the same jumper setting depending on which specimen you installed) Also missing pull ups can cause odd behavior sometimes on some chips.

Being a 200mmx it probably did get the multiplier lock. But not all of them have it.

If a missing pull up or pull down is the issue the simplest tweaker, the multiplier mini can do the job. there is a pending update to it though to graduate it to the final version I haven’t gotten around to doing yet though. So stay tuned for that.

The bummer about it though is it goes on the back of the motherboard. But if your problem is a missing pull up. You wouldn’t need to access it after enabling it. And you would still gain ss7 and tillamook multiplier ability also.

The other units offer some options on the front of the motherboard. I’m going to order a voltage interposer beta soon. Probably only one or two more betas before I order a prototype to test.

If you want I can help you test your pull ups.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 36 of 71, by JamesF36

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-20, 03:55:
Re: Pentium MMX Multipliers […]
Show full quote

Re: Pentium MMX Multipliers

You may be experiencing a multiplier scramble some of the mmx chips got that when intel locked out the higher multipliers. (Several same s spec chips can react as many as three different ways to the same jumper setting depending on which specimen you installed) Also missing pull ups can cause odd behavior sometimes on some chips.

Being a 200mmx it probably did get the multiplier lock. But not all of them have it.

If a missing pull up or pull down is the issue the simplest tweaker, the multiplier mini can do the job. there is a pending update to it though to graduate it to the final version I haven’t gotten around to doing yet though. So stay tuned for that.

The bummer about it though is it goes on the back of the motherboard. But if your problem is a missing pull up. You wouldn’t need to access it after enabling it. And you would still gain ss7 and tillamook multiplier ability also.

The other units offer some options on the front of the motherboard. I’m going to order a voltage interposer beta soon. Probably only one or two more betas before I order a prototype to test.

If you want I can help you test your pull ups.

I definitely want to try the tweaker. I got Windows 2000 installed and got all the drivers set up and honestly it’s pretty nice! But of course I don’t like how it’s 133mhz… I believe it’s 2x maximum on this motherboard I don’t think it will go to 3x or 3.5x without something like the tweaker right? I really want to get it to 200mhz or even 233 or something more especially since it’s over volted i’m sure I can push it hard until I put a K6-233 in it.. but the 73gb scsi drive is working wonderful and Windows 2000 works amazing.

Getting the board to boot to cd rom on the other hand was miserable because I couldn’t use a 98se boot floppy to get Windows 2000 to do its thing but I figured that out so I’m happy, I think all that’s left now is to get above the 2x multiplier.

Reply 37 of 71, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a good chance you need a missing pull up is my suspicion. Do you have one or two multiplier jumpers? I think the issue is that when they went from pentium to pentium mmx they removed the internal pull up on bf1 though I'd have to look it up to say for sure.. Yeah a tweaker would solve any pull up/down issues. You just gotta pick a flavor. Or you could mod it directly with a resistor and some solder.

As for 3.5x your cpu may not support it. Remember what I said about these often not only being locked, but also having the multipliers scrambled.

I recently switched from xp sp2 to ME because of things being super slow and many programs not working. might consider a 9x/ME OS for more speed.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 38 of 71, by JamesF36

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-22, 03:26:

There is a good chance you need a missing pull up is my suspicion. Do you have one or two multiplier jumpers? I think the issue is that when they went from pentium to pentium mmx they removed the internal pull up on bf1 though I'd have to look it up to say for sure.. Yeah a tweaker would solve any pull up/down issues. You just gotta pick a flavor. Or you could mod it directly with a resistor and some solder.

As for 3.5x your cpu may not support it. Remember what I said about these often not only being locked, but also having the multipliers scrambled.

I recently switched from xp sp2 to ME because of things being super slow and many programs not working. might consider a 9x/ME OS for more speed.

I just have that 1 set of multiplier jumpers, I do have some strange 2 pin jumper near the CPU that shows 2/3 if i have it not jumpered and 1/2 if I jumper it (I have it not jumpered so it's running 2/3 which I assume means 66), besides that I have a 3 pin jumper for VR and VRE but obviously I don't need VRE especially on this processor

Reply 39 of 71, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

lemme throw together a little guide for ya.
Pull the mobo, grab a volt meter and do some checks with the mobo unplugged.

Here are the steps:

1: Get it ready.
Take a pic of the mobo (so you remember the config) and then pull all the jumpers off, unplug everything, even pull the cpu.

2: Test for pull up at BF0.
Measure resistance between vcc3 and BF0

3: Test for pull up at BF1.
Measure resistance between vcc3 and BF1

4: Find your BF0 pull down jumper.
Start installing jumpers until you see the resistance change between BF0 and VSS. there's your BF0 jumper.

5: Remove jumpers again

6: Find your BF1 pull down jumper.
Start installing jumpers until you see the resistance change between BF1 and VSS. there's your BF1 jumper.

7: Record findings, put motherboard and jumpers back like they were.

Attachments

• image (1).jpg
    Filename
    image (1).jpg
    File size
    1.02 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-