VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smtkr wrote on 2022-06-12, 18:41:
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-06-12, 13:42:

I never bothered with the Celeron 300A. All the jerks who worked in the shops would overclock the CPUs to find out which ones were good, and keep the best ones for themselves (leaving the crap for suckers like me to buy). I also never had good luck overclocking in general. I had a friend who bought one though, and his didn't do 450 reliably.

Ha. That's why I was so hell-bent on getting the SL32A version. Probably just an old wives tale, but back in the day, people said the retail versions got better/cherry-picked silicon vs. the tray versions. It's kind of silly to think they would do that on the budget Celeron line, but it's always been in the back of my mind.

I heard something similar. But, the version I heard was that the ones manufactured in the Malaysian plant had better yields...and supposedly all of the retail versions were malay, while only a handful of the OEMs were.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 21 of 24, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also, cant imagine it would work with the OEM version of the board (Dell SE440BX-3) but not the Intel retail? Only relevant difference with the Dell BIOS is that it auto-configures the cpu without needing to use maintenance mode.

se440bx3_c300a.jpg
Filename
se440bx3_c300a.jpg
File size
717.31 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22 of 24, by RJRC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-06-13, 00:18:

There's nothing in the latest P17 BIOS release notes re. issues with this cpu - infact it was supported literally out of the (first) box with version P01 so cant see that having changed.

So it should work with every SE440BX-2 board then. Mine says it's P03 in the BIOS, so this should be fine.

Right. I've given it a wipe with the isopropyl across both sides. Let's give it a go. Aaaaand... still doesn't work. Both case LEDs come on, power supply fan going round, CPU fan not going round, and this is the case immediately the power supply switch it turned to on, i.e. before pressing the big power button on the front of the case.

Bill of goods status confirmed. Time for negative feedback.

Reply 23 of 24, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RJRC wrote on 2022-06-13, 17:54:

So it should work with every SE440BX-2 board then. Mine says it's P03 in the BIOS, so this should be fine.

Right. I've given it a wipe with the isopropyl across both sides. Let's give it a go. Aaaaand... still doesn't work. Both case LEDs come on, power supply fan going round, CPU fan not going round, and this is the case immediately the power supply switch it turned to on, i.e. before pressing the big power button on the front of the case.

Bill of goods status confirmed. Time for negative feedback.

Certainly an early board lf it's P03 - what's the AA (Altered Assembly) number on the label.

Are there any entries in the BIOS DMI Event Log which seem relevant.

Reply 24 of 24, by RJRC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

720932-207 is the AA number on the label, whatever that means. But then since the SE440BX-2 is supposed to support the Celeron 300A across all revisions anyhow, why is this relevant?

The only DMI event log is a keyboard not functional error, which was my fault because I forgot to plug it in one time.