VOGONS

First post, by mrgreen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I have to repair an old PC of an old man.
This PC has Windows Millenium Edition.
The computer is blown out. The power supply made a puff of smoke because some of the motherboard capacitors were swollen.
The Ps/2 mouse no longer works and has been replaced with a USB one.
Replacing the ECS socket 370 motherboard with one of an assembled one (from a Compaq Desktop EP called Compaq Hendrix), everything works except the Canon LBP-800 LTP printer.
I did not reinstall anything, as I connected the hard disk to the PC and after a couple of reboots it self-configured (no internet connection).
However,the printer is not found by the operating system and Canon software, it shows Printer is not connected. I check the cable and it's connected. Suggestions?
In the BIOS I put paralel port as ECP+ESP and tried also as bidirectional, but no progression.

Regards,
M.

My first PC had Windows 98 os.

Reply 1 of 2, by zami555

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have such printer so I cannot confirm this, however according to https://www.openprinting.org/printer/Canon/Canon-LBP-800 this printer requires bidirectional LPT.
Another thing, have you installed drivers for chipset after you've put this second main board?

Reply 2 of 2, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You will most likely have to reinstall the printer software. You may be able to just change the port the printer driver is looking at.
The LPT port from the old motherboard is most likely what the printer driver is looking at.

As mentioned above, you will need to install the chipset drivers as well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK