VOGONS

First post, by Prez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone,

I just did something i wanted to do since a long time, being able to get my hands on one particular thinclient miniPc. It's a fairly hard-to-find Itona thinclient that has a very amusing feature: a joystick port !

IMG_20220618_233848.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220618_233848.jpg
File size
591.99 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

This emulates like the previous ones with a VIA chipset a SoundBlaster Pro under DOS and of course works nicely under Windows98SE, even in the first 3D games, like Half-Life, Incoming or Midtown Madness. It's a VIA C3 at 800 MHz with 128 or 256 MB of SDRAM, and it runs here on a 4 GB CompactFlash. It's totally fanless and its power supply is integrated. In short, very practical.

IMG_20220618_233659.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220618_233659.jpg
File size
258.65 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Well packed with USB sockets (2 behind, 2 in front!) I was even able to make it recognize a modern wireless PC keyboard and its trackpad, and it would work just as well with a USB mouse or... a USB joystick! (under Windows of course). As the two USB sockets on the front are rather discreet, they are perfect for gamepads. In short, a small fanless PC, capable of running thousands of DOS or Windows 95/98 games, for 30€. And guess what? I haven't tried it yet, but of course it has a MPU401, that is to say, via the joystick socket, in addition to playing, it could control a MIDI expander like a Roland MT-32 or an SC-55!! I will test of course and send picts 🙂

IMG_20220618_233722.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220618_233722.jpg
File size
366.89 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

So, I played a few small games with my joypad to Prince Of Persia, Lion King or Commander Keen 4, and I admit, I like it 😉 But ok ok, I'm going to find him a better controller 😃

The box is small, with its integrated power supply, but does have a PCI port available. Despite the small room inside, maybe there is a way to improve the beast with a real sound card or a far better videocard, i will be looking to it carefully :

P3VB_board_600.jpg
Filename
P3VB_board_600.jpg
File size
107.1 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Prez (sorry, my TV still doesn't do 4/3, bad girl)

Old computers and videogames freak
President of french association https://mo5.com
Get better, get old ! 😁

Reply 1 of 2, by Zeerex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What are the specs for sound and graphics? Usually C3 are bundled with Via 686A plus S3 Unichrome.

You might just want to get used to that controller. In my testing the best feeling gameport controller was the gameport version of the sidewinder. Unfortunately it has a compatibility issue with Skyroads so I can’t use it. End up just dealing with Gravis Pro which is a mixed bag but compatibility is just about guaranteed.

Reply 2 of 2, by Prez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zeerex wrote on 2022-06-20, 13:50:

What are the specs for sound and graphics? Usually C3 are bundled with Via 686A plus S3 Unichrome.

You might just want to get used to that controller. In my testing the best feeling gameport controller was the gameport version of the sidewinder. Unfortunately it has a compatibility issue with Skyroads so I can’t use it. End up just dealing with Gravis Pro which is a mixed bag but compatibility is just about guaranteed.

Hi ! Not much, its a VIA chipset like a KLE133 i think, with a S3 video accelerator with 3D function and an AC'97/SoundBlaster compatible audio chipset. I have several different game controllers i wanna try 😉

Best regards
Philippe Dubois

Old computers and videogames freak
President of french association https://mo5.com
Get better, get old ! 😁