VOGONS

Help! PC won't power on with Slotket

Topic actions

First post, by rootinit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an IBM PC 300 GL 6275 with a 440BX chipset. It runs happily with a PIII 500 MHz Katmai (SL365). I wanted to upgrade it, so I purchased a NOS Abit Slotket !!! from eBay, and found a PIII 1 GHz Socket 370 Coppermine CPU (SL5QV). It all physically came together beautifully, but unfortunately, my PC refuses to power on with it installed. I'm talking NOTHING, not even a fan spin, no beep, no noise. Literally nothing from the PC at all. I believe this is related to voltage. I've tried jumpers for both AUTO and the 1.75V in which this CPU runs at.

Edit: Just before anyone asks, this is definitely a Coppermine CPU, and not a Tualatin.

Any ideas?

Attachments

IBM ThinkPad 755Cs (Win 3.11) • IBM ThinkPad 365x (Win 98SE) • IBM ThinkPad TransNote (Win 2k)
IBM PC (PC DOS 3.30) • IBM PS/2 Model 80 (Win 3.11) • IBM PC 300GL (Win 98SE)
AT&T PC 6300 (MS-DOS 6.22) • Dell XPS T550 (Win 98SE)

Reply 1 of 78, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You probably need microcode support in the BIOS than not only does coppermines, but supports the specific stepping of coppermine. (I've come across "coppermine compatible" boards that work fine with a C0 stepping, but put a D0 in and they act dead unless updated)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 78, by rootinit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-06-24, 02:55:

You probably need microcode support in the BIOS than not only does coppermines, but supports the specific stepping of coppermine. (I've come across "coppermine compatible" boards that work fine with a C0 stepping, but put a D0 in and they act dead unless updated)

Hmm, well I'm updated to the latest BIOS (PDJT31A, July 19, 2000), so I really wonder. Does anyone have any further information about this board?

IBM ThinkPad 755Cs (Win 3.11) • IBM ThinkPad 365x (Win 98SE) • IBM ThinkPad TransNote (Win 2k)

Reply 3 of 78, by rootinit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like this gentleman was able to use a Tualatin with a Power Leap adapter and the latest BIOS update. This was a 6862, but it is essentially the same machine as the 6275 with an AGP port. This makes me believe that it will run this sort of chip, and something else is going on.

Reply 4 of 78, by rootinit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Further development. I tossed the same Slotket/CPU combo in my Dell XPS T550, and it was dead as a doornail as well. I know that these are both OEM machines, but I am beginning to think that either the Slotket is bad or the CPU is. Unfortunately, I don't have another Socket 370 CPU to test out. I guess I have to actually order one just to try it?

Reply 5 of 78, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've put an unsupported CPU in a board and had it not POST, but the fans came on. I hope it's a bad CPU rather than the adapter since 370 CPUs are much easier to find.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 6 of 78, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Verify that the CPU VRM on those mobos actually can output the requested 1.75V. Datasheets are usually available online. The VRM simply won't output anything at all if it gets a VID signal it doesn't recognize, the CPU never gets power, and the computer will appear dead as a post.

If you can't find any datasheets, you could try setting the voltage to 1.8V. It's often the lower limit on older pre-Coppermine VRM:s. The very slight overvoltage shouldn't hurt the CPU.

The auto setting just passes VID from the CPU on, the signal will be the same as if you jumpered it to 1.75V.

Last edited by kaputnik on 2022-06-24, 09:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 78, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zapbuzz wrote on 2022-06-24, 09:25:

a bios mod can be done to add microcode of updated coppermines by request on bios forums

My experience with OEM Slot1/S370 boards might be very limited, but generally, the computer will still boot without the correct microcode for the specific CPU stepping. It will report the wrong CPU during POST, but that's usually purely cosmetical 😀

The only boards I've encountered that outright refused to boot without the correct microcode has been Intel ones.

Reply 10 of 78, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a case when Coppermine Celerons come in handy. They cost like $2 each. Whenever I need to test a board, I use those.

My first suspicion would be the motherboard doesn't support Coppermine PIII. Try setting jumpers for 1.8V, that is the lowest Katmai 440BX boards can go.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 11 of 78, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlexZ wrote on 2022-06-24, 10:11:

This is a case when Coppermine Celerons come in handy. They cost like $2 each. Whenever I need to test a board, I use those.

Totally agree with this. It's always good to have some (cheap/expendable) spare parts laying around to test unknown hardware with. As a bonus the Coppermine Celerons rule out any potential FSB issues.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 78, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you have the bios jumper in setup mode?

I always forget that on Intel OEM boards. I just did it last night testing 3 processors I got labeled scrap. I put the P3 700 and it boots fine, I put in the P3 450 and it doesn't boot... same with the P2 400. I thought it was weird as I have yet to find a bad slot 1 cpu, then I remembered the bios jumper. I put it in setup mode and all processors boot just fine.

I don't know why I always forget about it.

Reply 13 of 78, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rootinit wrote on 2022-06-24, 07:45:

Further development. I tossed the same Slotket/CPU combo in my Dell XPS T550, and it was dead as a doornail as well. I know that these are both OEM machines, but I am beginning to think that either the Slotket is bad or the CPU is. Unfortunately, I don't have another Socket 370 CPU to test out. I guess I have to actually order one just to try it?

Whilst faulty is possible (cpu or slotket), don't rule out compatibility as well.

Although I don't have the IBM board for comparison, I do have a Dell XPS Txxx board with the latest A11 BIOS and, like you, a combination of the same Abit Slotket !!! / SL5QV cpu gives me nothing beyond the orange LED on the board, whereas the same cpu but on an MSI MS-6905 Master sloket starts first time.

A quick test on some other BX boards from QDI & Supermicro gave the same results - MSI works but Abit doesn't. I even changed the cpu to a 850/256/100 SL49G but still no go on any BX board with the Abit until I tried the P2B-DS (single cpu only) which worked without issue. Then moving up to a later chipset - the i810E on my Jetway 913AF slot 1 / skt 370 combo board - every cpu worked on the Abit without issue.

Most of the above were tested at both auto & hard FSB / voltage settings without effect, and can't be solely BIOS related either, given the Dell results. Strange indeed!

Reply 14 of 78, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dell XPS Txxx board is what I use a slotket on all the time (a cheap generic one) and I have never had a problem, i think i have that same cpu in it now.

Weird the Abit one is that picky but I don't have one of those.

Reply 15 of 78, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kaputnik wrote on 2022-06-24, 08:45:

The auto setting just passes VID from the CPU on, the signal will be the same as if you jumpered it to 1.75V.

I trust auto about as much as I'd trust a wild polar bear to lick peanut butter off.... any part of my body. I've had boards tell me to just use auto settings whereupon they refuse to work until set manually.

Also a thing with slot 1 in general is it can tend to work only after you've pulled and reinstalled the CPU 3 times.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 16 of 78, by rootinit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kaputnik wrote on 2022-06-24, 08:45:

Verify that the CPU VRM on those mobos actually can output the requested 1.75V. Datasheets are usually available online. The VRM simply won't output anything at all if it gets a VID signal it doesn't recognize, the CPU never gets power, and the computer will appear dead as a post.

If you can't find any datasheets, you could try setting the voltage to 1.8V. It's often the lower limit on older pre-Coppermine VRM:s. The very slight overvoltage shouldn't hurt the CPU.

I couldn't find that info from IBM. Unfortunately, setting to 1.8V and even 1.85V didn't resolve the issue. Just for kicks, I even put it at 2V, like a Katmai, and it still didn't work.

Reply 17 of 78, by rootinit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grem Five wrote on 2022-06-24, 10:47:

I don't believe this jumper exists on this board.

Reply 18 of 78, by rootinit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-06-24, 14:40:
Whilst faulty is possible (cpu or slotket), don't rule out compatibility as well. […]
Show full quote
rootinit wrote on 2022-06-24, 07:45:

Whilst faulty is possible (cpu or slotket), don't rule out compatibility as well.

Although I don't have the IBM board for comparison, I do have a Dell XPS Txxx board with the latest A11 BIOS and, like you, a combination of the same Abit Slotket !!! / SL5QV cpu gives me nothing beyond the orange LED on the board, whereas the same cpu but on an MSI MS-6905 Master sloket starts first time.

A quick test on some other BX boards from QDI & Supermicro gave the same results - MSI works but Abit doesn't. I even changed the cpu to a 850/256/100 SL49G but still no go on any BX board with the Abit until I tried the P2B-DS (single cpu only) which worked without issue. Then moving up to a later chipset - the i810E on my Jetway 913AF slot 1 / skt 370 combo board - every cpu worked on the Abit without issue.

Most of the above were tested at both auto & hard FSB / voltage settings without effect, and can't be solely BIOS related either, given the Dell results. Strange indeed!

That is great! You are doing testing where I am unable to. That is really helpful information. Thank you so much. So, perhaps the Abit is not so good with BX boards, and I should work on getting one of those MSIs. Sure the Dell and the IBM are not the same, but they are both 440BX boards, and that is a theme with the Abit.

Reply 19 of 78, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rootinit wrote on 2022-06-24, 17:04:
Grem Five wrote on 2022-06-24, 10:47:

I don't believe this jumper exists on this board.

Probably not on IBM but the Dell board has one.