VOGONS

First post, by bassix6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I'm working on my XP retro rig and I have run into a problem. Recently I picked up a Thermaltake Soprano RS 101 case and I was just swapping the parts when I noticed I couldn't fit in my Radeon 5870. The Hard Disk bays are blocking the card, so I decided to remove them. However the case uses some screws that are a real pain in the *** to remove. I included some pictures. Do any of you guys have some recommendationshow to remove these? I tried pliers, but that didn't work out...

Whats-App-Image-2022-06-24-at-12-30-40-PM.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2022-06-24-at-12-30-40-PM-1.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2022-06-24-at-12-30-41-PM.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2022-06-24-at-12-30-41-PM-1.jpg

Reply 1 of 10, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those are pop rivets, not screws 😀

Try estimating the diameter (would guess 3 mm) and drill them out using the corresponding drill bit.

Last edited by kaputnik on 2022-06-24, 10:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those look live rivets (not screws). The only solution is probably through mechanical force.

EDIT: kaputnik was faster. 😁

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 4 of 10, by bassix6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys! I already had a hunch that it wasn't a screw, but I couldn't come up with the English term for it. Will I'll be able to do this with a regular power drill, or do I need one that is suitable for drilling through iron? Don't have that much experience with power tools hahaha

Reply 5 of 10, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

pop rivets.
the only way to get them out is by using a drill.

you do not need to drill through them, just drill the flat bit off, then you can punch the rest out.

they might be something like iron, though most of them I've encountered tend to be aluminium.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 6 of 10, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Behold!! The MsPaint artistic rendition!!

Untitled.png
Filename
Untitled.png
File size
1.94 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

That's how it looks, you just need to "gnaw" on upper part to cut connection between "hat" and body. Don't bother with drilling through it. Some wide drill bit and few pushes on the "hat" and it's away.

Reply 7 of 10, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bassix6 wrote on 2022-06-24, 10:51:

Thanks guys! I already had a hunch that it wasn't a screw, but I couldn't come up with the English term for it. Will I'll be able to do this with a regular power drill, or do I need one that is suitable for drilling through iron? Don't have that much experience with power tools hahaha

Any power drill will do. Those rivets are made from aluminum, just about any spiral drill bit will work too, you could even use one made for wood 😀

If you don't have one of the same diameter as the rivet, you can use a larger one, carefully just drill out the rivet head, and push the remainder of the rivet out. Edit: as Solo761 illustrated above 😁

Reply 10 of 10, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lightly drill the rivet's head to break the head off then things will fall apart with some force.

Simply reassemble using Philips and nut pieces.

Great Northern aka Canada.