VOGONS

How much is <part> worth?

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 29, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I try to wait out the more bargainous purchases, however there are times that I’ve paid a sizable amount for various pieces, either because I needed/wanted something specific in a short space of time, or because there has only been a handful available and prices are steady.

My Voodoo 5 5500 PCI cost me £100~ in 2020, which, whilst a fair chunk of money, was still a bargain compared to current prices! I was willing to pay because I wanted one to round out a collection.

My Geforce 256 DDR on the other hand was £10. I really did want one (again to round out a collection), but the prices were daft for a card that could be beaten out by a cheap Geforce2 GTS. I waited until I found a faulty low-priced part and took the gamble on me being able to fix it.

Reply 22 of 29, by moog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2022-06-30, 05:53:

I try to wait out the more bargainous purchases, however there are times that I’ve paid a sizable amount for various pieces, either because I needed/wanted something specific in a short space of time, or because there has only been a handful available and prices are steady.

My Voodoo 5 5500 PCI cost me £100~ in 2020, which, whilst a fair chunk of money, was still a bargain compared to current prices! I was willing to pay because I wanted one to round out a collection.

My Geforce 256 DDR on the other hand was £10. I really did want one (again to round out a collection), but the prices were daft for a card that could be beaten out by a cheap Geforce2 GTS. I waited until I found a faulty low-priced part and took the gamble on me being able to fix it.

My Voodoo 5500 AGP was given to me as a reward for dedicated service to Swansea University Computer Society. I'm thinking of getting a PCI model these days to give SLI a go, and like I said, people are trying to sell them for 5x the price of a Uno - about 2500 PLN, that's maybe £400, or £600. Depends on the currency exchange rate, GBP2PLN is pretty unstable, balancing anywhere between 4.0 and 6.0. So, I think you've gotten yourself quite the bargain 😀

Audigy 2 ZS in FreeDOS
LinLin adapter documentation
+ various capacitor list threads

Reply 23 of 29, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do not confuse part list price and the price customer is willing to pay. People put up parts for sale for crazy price, but unless there is a buyer it isn't the real price. This can be very misleading when there are very few sellers as they can just keep pushing the price up. Ultimately it is the price customer is willing to pay which is very individual. Retro market isn't a grocery shop and nobody is entitled to buy parts at low price.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 24 of 29, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That goes the same for absolutely everything.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25 of 29, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I refurbish my machines to the best of my abilities. This takes a lot of time + resources. I love it when I get super-low balled with the explanation that "this rig is worth $200 to me" - great! I'm 1) not in any hurry to sell it 2) have sold machines internationally for industrial uses (the most recent was a pair of 386s to Greece for the purpose of interfacing with an industrial loom) 3) take your chances elsewhere on untested, filthy, and broken machines 4) I get to keep the machines for longer and enjoy them sporadically.

Lowballers suck.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 26 of 29, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
moog wrote on 2022-06-30, 09:12:
paradigital wrote on 2022-06-30, 05:53:

My Voodoo 5500 AGP was given to me as a reward for dedicated service to Swansea University Computer Society. I'm thinking of getting a PCI model these days to give SLI a go, and like I said, people are trying to sell them for 5x the price of a Uno - about 2500 PLN, that's maybe £400, or £600. Depends on the currency exchange rate, GBP2PLN is pretty unstable, balancing anywhere between 4.0 and 6.0. So, I think you've gotten yourself quite the bargain 😀

Ah Polak! I just spent $130 on a bunch of stuff I needed off Allegro.pl (a 5.25 floppy for 199 PLN)- their prices have gone up CONSIDERABLY since, say, 2016 - I was able to buy 386 highscreens and other clones for $60-$100 off there. I got my PS 1000 off there (complete!) for about $50. I would never sell that machine, it's my dream 3/486.

My parents no longer live there, but when they visit relatives (or I do) I always come back with parts.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 27 of 29, by moog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jed118 wrote on 2022-07-01, 19:23:

Ah Polak! I just spent $130 on a bunch of stuff I needed off Allegro.pl (a 5.25 floppy for 199 PLN)- their prices have gone up CONSIDERABLY since, say, 2016 - I was able to buy 386 highscreens and other clones for $60-$100 off there. I got my PS 1000 off there (complete!) for about $50. I would never sell that machine, it's my dream 3/486.

My parents no longer live there, but when they visit relatives (or I do) I always come back with parts.

Tak jak Pan Jezus powiedział! Maybe try to turn on keyword notifications on olx.pl and allegro.pl? I've managed to snipe a 3.5" floppy drive for 25 PLN and at the time there were also 5.25" 360K and 720K drives going around for 100-170.

I'm not surprised you don't wanna part with the 86. I'm hoping that these antique computers I maintain will help future generations grow up with soy-less games. You know, games without pay2win, without microtransactions, without corners cut to meet unrealistic deadlines, without soy oozing out of every orifice.

Audigy 2 ZS in FreeDOS
LinLin adapter documentation
+ various capacitor list threads

Reply 28 of 29, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want cheap parts you have to browse local ebay clones in EU countries. They don't come in English version though.

Another alternative to allegro.pl is

https://aukro.cz/historicke-pocitace?sort=end … gBeforeRel=120h

Sometimes sellers refuse to ship the item abroad. You may be able to negotiate it or bypass this restriction by having it shipped to a local company that will then re-send it to another country if the part is worth it. It is often not worthwhile to pay too much for these parts as they are often untested (probably from electronic scrap yards).

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 29 of 29, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jed118 wrote on 2022-07-01, 19:20:

I refurbish my machines to the best of my abilities. This takes a lot of time + resources. I love it when I get super-low balled with the explanation that "this rig is worth $200 to me" - great! I'm 1) not in any hurry to sell it 2) have sold machines internationally for industrial uses (the most recent was a pair of 386s to Greece for the purpose of interfacing with an industrial loom) 3) take your chances elsewhere on untested, filthy, and broken machines 4) I get to keep the machines for longer and enjoy them sporadically.

Lowballers suck.

I agree. Those who have collected various retro parts know it takes time to clean them, test them, some of them are broken etc. If you sell it you also want to make a small profit. Selling retro parts is charity really, not a way to make big bucks.

Higher price is justified if you state the part is tested and also offer short warranty period for the buyer to test the part.