VOGONS

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

System uses one of Sergey Malinov's atx ISA backplanes and supports various single-board computers that I've collected over the years, as my primary MSDOS/windows 3.1 machine.

Instead of tapping new screw holes or anything like that, I capped each of the existing mount studs with a plastic stud and use the expansion cards themselves to hold motherboard in place. Ergo, there is no contact between motherboard ground plane and chassis through the screws.

I was pondering whether the screws are an integral part of motherboard grounding, but all of the expansion cards seem to have their metal slots grounded to the chassis already.

Any feedback? Is motherboard screw/post grounding generally important?

Reply 1 of 6, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It’ll be fine, it’s grounded through the PSU and the expansion cards anyway. Even if you were concerned, you could affix a ground strap between the chassis and one of the mounting holes.

Reply 2 of 6, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
paradigital wrote on 2022-07-02, 16:19:

It’ll be fine, it’s grounded through the PSU and the expansion cards anyway. Even if you were concerned, you could affix a ground strap between the chassis and one of the mounting holes.

That's precisely what I'd thought as well. Seems to be plenty of grounding opportunities but it was one of those questions I'd always been a little curious about.

Reply 3 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes generally it is important to ground any motherboard or backplane to the chassis using the tinned type mount holes, those that are just holes in the board use nylon or plastic.
Why ? The board is designed a certain way that you want the grounds to be as near zero ohms as possible between other ground points. That is why boards have those tinned holes in specific places where specific components and capacitors have their grounds. Usually they all tie together thru traces but there could be some ohmage if going from the PSU ground to the farthest tinned mount point. The PSU ground and chassis ground are same the idea is to keep resistance on that ground plane as low as possible between points and relying on the cards to ground properly is not always a good thing as some adapters have a specific jumper to ground the mount to PSU ground thru the slot or chassis.
Sure you might get by without grounding them but it always best to ground them to chassis if possible so that there is not some board specific change in the ground plane.
Ok probably TMI and probably not so important but thought you should know there is a reason they tin certain mount holes on boards 😀 edit fixed a typo 🙁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

See if there's any tapped holes lined up with any holes in the motherboard, and put a brass standoff in it. If it just seems to have square slot arrangements it might need those clip-in standoffs, but be careful that those don't take up too much room on the backside of an older board and short something near the hole because the top of them is bigger than the old brass standoffs.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.