VOGONS

First post, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys. As you can see in the bottom photo here, I had a bad cap on my voodoo 3. It was dented at the top. (Sorry for poor quality). So I ordered some 10uf 16v caps from Newark, which were supposed to be Panasonic brand. The package said they were 10uf 16v but the cap itself was labeled differently. 10 CHB A01 (See top photo below).

My question is, is it possible Newark made a mistake and sent me the wrong caps?

Attachments

• capsmall.jpg
    Filename
    capsmall.jpg
    File size
    60.62 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Old Cap
    File license
    Public domain
  • Package.jpg
    Filename
    Package.jpg
    File size
    1015.4 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Package
    File license
    Public domain
  • closeup.jpg
    Filename
    closeup.jpg
    File size
    75.26 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    New Cap
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Sly_Botts on 2022-07-03, 20:49. Edited 1 time in total.

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 1 of 5, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes I already put the new cap on. Thats why its mounted in the photo. Not bad for a noob eh? 😉

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 2 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You did a better job than I could with the soldering. I'm still honing my through-hole soldering skills.

That cap is from Panasonic' s HB series. The C means 16V rating . A01 is the lot number.

Reply 3 of 5, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Never mind sorry I figured it out.

C=16V. Its Panasonics voltage code.

https://industrial.panasonic.com/cdbs/www-dat … BA0000C1157.pdf

https://industrial.panasonic.com/ww/products/ … els/EEEHB1C100R

Reply 4 of 5, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-07-03, 20:55:

You did a better job than I could with the soldering. I'm still honing my through-hole soldering skills.

That cap is from Panasonic' s HB series. The C means 16V rating . A01 is the lot number.

Hey, I had to mess up an Ensoniq VIVO and SB 16 to learn my lessons but I'm starting to get the hang of it. One main lesson: Take your time to do it right, and FLUX IS YOUR FRIEND! 🤣

I was so nervous not to mess up this voodoo3 (as in wreck the pad) but it worked out, thankfully.

Reply 5 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Note that even if it had been a 10V part, thar wouldn't have made any difference so long as capacitance and ESR were equivalent as nothing on a Voodoo card goes over 5V.