VOGONS

Varta replacer

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about using a micro relay instead of a diode?

Opens circuit when 5v is present somehow.

Or… a pcb that installs a usb port and uses a 5v usb power pack as a voltage source

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 21 of 27, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2024-01-26, 03:38:

Tony359 recently did some work on one of my boards and was able to identify a diode I beleieve near by that when removed stopped 5v from reaching the battery terminals. And the rtc functioned properly with a 3.3v battery. So simply removed the diode and installed a coin cell holder.

Can you post a a picture?

Reply 22 of 27, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
douglar wrote on 2024-01-26, 12:51:
Sphere478 wrote on 2024-01-26, 03:38:

Tony359 recently did some work on one of my boards and was able to identify a diode I beleieve near by that when removed stopped 5v from reaching the battery terminals. And the rtc functioned properly with a 3.3v battery. So simply removed the diode and installed a coin cell holder.

Can you post a a picture?

I can do better, here’s the video! :p went live today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVg2pvyYbn0

Thanks Tony!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 23 of 27, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are three main concerns when doing a mod like this that never really get covered on YouTube.

1) making sure the RTC keeps accurate time after leaving the system off a day or two - low standby voltage can save the NVRAM settings just fine and still not run the RTC properly

2) making sure the RTC still ticks with the system powered ON and NO battery installed - you want to ensure you're not powering the clock exclusively from battery when you attempt to disable charging

3) making sure the coin cell has the requisite capacity to last more than a year - many old RTC chips are NOT standby power efficient and really require the capacity of a 3xAA pack or equivalent

Reply 24 of 27, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2024-01-27, 02:32:
There are three main concerns when doing a mod like this that never really get covered on YouTube. […]
Show full quote

There are three main concerns when doing a mod like this that never really get covered on YouTube.

1) making sure the RTC keeps accurate time after leaving the system off a day or two - low standby voltage can save the NVRAM settings just fine and still not run the RTC properly

2) making sure the RTC still ticks with the system powered ON and NO battery installed - you want to ensure you're not powering the clock exclusively from battery when you attempt to disable charging

3) making sure the coin cell has the requisite capacity to last more than a year - many old RTC chips are NOT standby power efficient and really require the capacity of a 3xAA pack or equivalent

Excellent advice! I will see if I can check this when I get the board. Thanks man!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 25 of 27, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently found a VLB card that kills coin cell batteries. If I leave the vlb board in the system with the power off, the board loses its settings in about a minute and the coin cell will die in about a week if I leave the power off. Its that UMC 85C418f card I’ve been messing with.

Reply 26 of 27, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Kinda makes me wonder if we should use something like this with a li ion cell 5v in, 3.7-4.2v out.

The charge circuit can hook direct to 5v psu

The battery can be direct to the remote battery terminals

Attachments

• IMG_2343.png
    Filename
    IMG_2343.png
    File size
    242.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 27 of 27, by tony359

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2024-01-27, 02:32:
There are three main concerns when doing a mod like this that never really get covered on YouTube. […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the advice, I'll bear that in mind!

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@tony359