VOGONS

First post, by vmr_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got a while back a nice IBM PS/1 2121 386SX 16MHz 2MB RAM 40MB HDD machine, in excellent working condition, but missing all the software apart of the ROM one (getting to the quad icons split screen, but that's it). It sat in its box for last year, but now looking to restore this machine, hence looking for guidance as follows:

1. the ROM software (quad icons screen split) is in German; I am looking to switch it to English/US version.
- any ideas how to update/override the ROM software? any tool for this?
- I found this resource https://ps1stuff.wordpress.com/download/downl … -for-type-2121/ , but not sure if members of vogons forum did such ROM updates
- while doing this, will also make a copy of the existing german ROM software and share - for those interested (as per link above)

2. any suggestions on how to link a Gotek floppy emulator to this machine? will be much easier for software installs
- I noticed the IBM proprietary connectors in this machine for floppy

3. replacing the existing 40MB HDD with a suitable CF card + CF adaptor. Any suggested combinations known to work for PS/1?

Possible later will look for RAM upgrade and audio card, but not a priority now.

Retro builds & sandbox
IBM XT 5160 | 286 | 386 | 486 | S4 SI5PI AIO & S4 Batman + P60 SX828
S8 & PPro 200 | SS7 FW 5VGF & Asus P5A & AOpen AX59PRO K6-III+ 550MHz
Asus K7M Athlon 1Ghz GDF | Abit SH6 Pentium III 1GHz SL4KL...

Reply 1 of 3, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have such a beast, last played with it ~5 years ago and since then it's sitting in storage. Mine is in French (came from Canada) so I'm kind of interested in updating it to English, if possible - I'll be watching this space.

Floppy connector is proprietary, but I made a simple (passive. and ugly) adapter to normal floppy, I remember connecting one of my 5.25 inch drives so I can read my mid-90s floppies on the PS/1. I think I found all the relevant details on the net, but if they are gone I'll try to dig it and upload a photo / draw a diagram. It'll take a few days, most certainly.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 3, by vmr_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks quicknick

Does it happen to have any spare RAM upgrade module? 😀

I will see if I have around a molex 5V splitter connected to HDD power connector (as that is standard) - to see if it powers both FDD and HDD

also paying attention to the the power passed through the PS/1 FDD cable 😀
https://ps1stuff.wordpress.com/how-tos/ibm-ps … py-replacement/

Attachments

Retro builds & sandbox

Reply 3 of 3, by vmr_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

now, did a bit of digging - looks like the ROM chip used in PS/1 2121 is an AMD AM27C1024-150DC UV EPROM (still have to check if this is the exact ROM chip in my machine [cannot do for now, as it is in storage], but the above is based on similar machine I found the details about on the web).

Not sure if the TL866 MiniTool ROM programmer can also write on this chip - the supported chips seem to cover AM27C1024, so for now I assume it does. Have to order some spare AM27C1024 chips and attempt to write the US ROM on it to test 😀

The earliest estimate to try this on my side is for late August/early September - but if anyone has a similar setup and can test this meanwhile, will be good to know if it works 😀))

Retro builds & sandbox