Reply 20 of 24, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-15, 16:40:
BLockOUT wrote on 2022-07-15, 16:30:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-15, 12:26:

MSI for sure went balls out with the cooper on their P35/P45 Palatinum boards, Gigabyte did too On their Extreme DQ series boards which had a huge copper cooling radiator as part of the kit, sadly most MSI platinum boards I have run across are either dead or have serious IO issues/Damaged ram slots.

I would love a P45 Platinum for my 775 collection along with the Gigabyte P45-T Extreme both of which are unobtanium so far.

If your board is complete and working OP, I would seriously consider only using it sparingly and keep an eye on the caps, its such a lovely example of copper cooling madness of the 775 ERA a board worth keeping in top condition.

absolutly, the only strange thing about this board is like the pcb bended a bit around the cpu, maybe this was normal during the 775 stock intel cooler era?
thats why im looking for a copy of the original discs!

It was pretty normal with some aftermarket coolers due to not having a backplate as part of the retention system, the more expensive coolers had backplates that eliminated the bending, stock Intel coolers didn't normally exert enough force on the board to bend it. (Heavy copper coolers can also do it due to weight)

Yes, stock Intel S775 coolers apply a lot of force on the board that'll typically bend motherboards a bit. I have seen this all the time and it can be easily demonstrated if you have a straight board and an Intel stock cooler for S775 CPUs.

Reply 21 of 24, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Once it occurred to me to use it with a gas torch to disassemble a heatsink of a laptop out of curiosity, it was disassembled by desoldering the different parts and the heat pipe swelled shortly after and after a little more it began to expel liquid on one side.
One way to know if the heat pipe has something inside would be that since I imagine that if it has nothing inside, even if it is hollow, it will not swell and nothing will be expelled, and of course it will not transmit heat from one end to the other quickly.

Reply 22 of 24, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-07-19, 08:53:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-15, 16:40:
BLockOUT wrote on 2022-07-15, 16:30:

absolutly, the only strange thing about this board is like the pcb bended a bit around the cpu, maybe this was normal during the 775 stock intel cooler era?
thats why im looking for a copy of the original discs!

It was pretty normal with some aftermarket coolers due to not having a backplate as part of the retention system, the more expensive coolers had backplates that eliminated the bending, stock Intel coolers didn't normally exert enough force on the board to bend it. (Heavy copper coolers can also do it due to weight)

Yes, stock Intel S775 coolers apply a lot of force on the board that'll typically bend motherboards a bit. I have seen this all the time and it can be easily demonstrated if you have a straight board and an Intel stock cooler for S775 CPUs.

Yes I would expect some minor bending that isn't usually permanent or excessive but thats not what we are talking about here, this is the kind of bending that is excessive and very visible and involves the kind of forces that the stock Intel cooler simply isn't capable of exerting without tearing its plastic pins out of the board.

Reply 23 of 24, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-07-19, 01:23:
Hmm cannot find those exact CD's but the P35 chipset was code named "BearLake" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_P35) and the […]
Show full quote

Hmm cannot find those exact CD's but the P35 chipset was code named "BearLake" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_P35) and these two CD's (g71-mi31016 and g71-mib1006)
are just a bit newer (both these dated 10/2007) than those in your picture but contain lots of Intel and "bearlake" stuff and are probably the best you might find.
Noted that the first BIOS 1.0 for the P35 Platinum is dated 5/2007. The XP cd does have the Realtek Audio and Realtek PCIe LAN drivers.
XP driver CD: https://archive.org/details/g-71-mi-31016 Vista driver cd: https://archive.org/details/g-71-mib-1006

thanks i hope these work. I wonder why mb manufacturers don´t just include a txt file on their cds saying "For models XXXX and XXX and XXX"

Reply 24 of 24, by timsdf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Like most have said, they aren't anything special hardware wise. Your run of the mill p35 / P45 board with mediocre vrm and overclock. Pretty reliable and all solid caps so they aren't that difficult to find either. MSI made a bunch of interesting ddr2 / ddr3 combo boards though. Some had even the same cool looking rollercoaster heat pipes.

MSI P35 Platinum Combo

hothardware.jpg
Filename
hothardware.jpg
File size
149.22 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

msi P45-8D Memory lover

080822141625_001.jpg
Filename