VOGONS

First post, by SPiKA85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm currently running a QX6850 on a EVGA 780i SLI with an Intel stock cooler.
Needless to say, it's quite hot.
I don't have any extra space at the top of the case, so a chonky tower cooler won't fit.
So I was thinking about an AIO because I can fit a 240/280mm rad at the front of the case.

But all new AIOs I can find on Amazon arent compatible with 775.
Does anyone know which specific model will work?
Thanks.

Reply 1 of 8, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a couple of Cooler Master Masterliquid ML 120R RGB AIOs which are still compatible with 775, they are not massive which means they will fit most cases in place of the rear exhaust fan.

I spent quite a while hunting for something bigger but like you its hard enough finding a 120, I did come across some old Corsair 120 models but they were all second hand or old as dirt and old AIOs are simply too risky to be worth buying.

Reply 3 of 8, by SPiKA85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-18, 01:54:

I bought a couple of Cooler Master Masterliquid ML 120R RGB AIOs which are still compatible with 775, they are not massive which means they will fit most cases in place of the rear exhaust fan.

I spent quite a while hunting for something bigger but like you its hard enough finding a 120, I did come across some old Corsair 120 models but they were all second hand or old as dirt and old AIOs are simply too risky to be worth buying.

How does the ML120R perform?

I want a 240/280 preferably 😖

Reply 4 of 8, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SPiKA85 wrote on 2022-07-18, 02:04:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-07-18, 01:54:

How does the ML120R perform?

I want a 240/280 preferably 😖

It handles a QX9770 just fine but I use a Noctua D14 on that rig normally but it handling a QX9770 means it'll handle a lesser model just fine.

Reply 5 of 8, by DrAnthony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd be leary of second hand AIO coolers. They really only have a 5 year life expectancy and could be full of slime by the time you get your hands on it. I think either a quality period correct tower cooler with a modern fan or a modern cooler with an adapter plate is much more reliable, if not quite as silent of a solution.

Reply 6 of 8, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DrAnthony wrote on 2022-07-18, 02:21:

I'd be leary of second hand AIO coolers. They really only have a 5 year life expectancy and could be full of slime by the time you get your hands on it. I think either a quality period correct tower cooler with a modern fan or a modern cooler with an adapter plate is much more reliable, if not quite as silent of a solution.

I agree, I hunted down a Noctua D14 that came with the 775 adaptor, was actually cheaper than the CM AIO I also got.

If I'm being fully upfront, I prefer the D14, its not just quieter it also handles temps better.

Reply 7 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

libby mentioned to me that he has experience sorting out older sealed liquid coolers, not sure he's posted about his method though. Think it was just basically clean out the bad stuff, put good stuff back in. Like going to Mars is like, "First go to space, then set course for Mars" 🤣 there's probably some finer points I'm missing.

For a period cooler, Hyper 212s are still around and have been around since late oughts. edit: urgh need an older one apparently, 775 bracket and support dropped when they made it AM4 compatible a few years back, lot of refs online say it's slill 775 compatible, but maybe only NOS and OG ones are, hard to figure out what you're getting. I guess if it fails to mention later sockets you might be alright, but never know if they just ain't updated their store page in years.

editII: Some ppl are saying to elongate the holes on the 1151/5 bracket and that works, never know if their, your and my value of "works" is equal though.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 8, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-07-18, 03:48:

libby mentioned to me that he has experience sorting out older sealed liquid coolers, not sure he's posted about his method though. Think it was just basically clean out the bad stuff, put good stuff back in. Like going to Mars is like, "First go to space, then set course for Mars" 🤣 there's probably some finer points I'm missing.

For a period cooler, Hyper 212s are still around and have been around since late oughts. edit: urgh need an older one apparently, 775 bracket and support dropped when they made it AM4 compatible a few years back, lot of refs online say it's slill 775 compatible, but maybe only NOS and OG ones are, hard to figure out what you're getting. I guess if it fails to mention later sockets you might be alright, but never know if they just ain't updated their store page in years.

editII: Some ppl are saying to elongate the holes on the 1151/5 bracket and that works, never know if their, your and my value of "works" is equal though.

It works just fine, they dropped the 775 support by simply removing the holes from the newer models.

Its also possible that the company that makes the cooler has adaptor packs, I know Noctua and Artic do this with their coolers, I have such a pack that technically allows a DH15 to be put onto certain 775 boards that are not stupidly crowded around the socket.