VOGONS

First post, by PixelOCDGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if I've missed something or this motherboard is a dud. While I wasn't expecting great speeds on any games released after 2000, I was expecting it to be OK for the old ones I play released between '95-99. Even 2D games are bad.

Here are the specs:

SiS 530 / AMD K6-2 450Mhz / 256MB PC100 SDRAM

what I compared it to:

DFI P2XBL (440BX) / Intel PII 350Mhz / 192MB mixed PC100 SDRAM

Same graphics card, a Matrox Millennium G450 PCI (the SIS 530 doesn't have an AGP port, this is used by the IGP).

Anecdotally, The 440BX destroys the Sis 530.

I've ran the usual benchmarks (Final Reality, 3DMark99 & 2k), while I didn't record the result I cancelled it on the SiS 530 because it was so bad. I'm talking 10 fps on average on 3DMark99. Whereas the 440BX ran 2k around 30fps.

I've updated the BIOS, checked the meagre amount of settings, and there isn't much I can do. The IGP is just as bad, max shared RAM is 8MB even though its AGP.

My assumption is IGP is poor, and the PCI bus is a severe bottle neck. What I don't get is why the Intel was so much better even over PCI.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Reply 1 of 4, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the Intel 440BX chipset is far better than the sis one. Far more developed, being the fourth of the 440 series and the Intel flagship. Sis was more focused at the cost effectiveness than being a top performer.

Besides that, I even wonder if the K6-2 can hold up to the Pentium 2 at all. The K6-3 and K6+ CPU's are quite a bit faster with their on-chip L2 and they had a hard time to hold up to the P2 performance.

I think the battle would more fair if you'd use an MVP3 or Ali V chipset for the super 7 platform and a K6-3 or K6+ CPU.

But the Sis chipset is very capable too so don't just throw it away. It's still a nice early W98 or DOS platform!

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 2 of 4, by PixelOCDGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I agree after a bit more reading. It won't get thrown away because it matches the hardware, and also because I don't throw away computer parts 😀 I bought this PC more for being an early IBM fan.

It really is an "Office PC" kind of motherboard. From what I've read some people were pairing it with a Voodoo 3, max ram, and overclocking. I've done the RAM part but other than that, Voodoo 3 is more than the cost of the entire PC and overclocking is only going to be incremental.

Reply 3 of 4, by PixelOCDGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, I thought I'd give an update. I'd put in so much effort getting this to work that I couldn't give up and accept it how it was.

So I bought the fastest PCI graphics card I could find, which was an ATI Radeon R9250. This improved things... a bit. But it was not exactly "period accurate". Also, I feel like it should have been a huge improvement over the Matrox G450 PCI card, however, it was clearly bottle necked in the same manner.

One night I gave in and impulsively bought a Voodoo 3 3000. This was worth about the same price as the entire PC! However, I had read that it doesn't really need a fast FSB and the AGP ones didn't really use any AGP functions. I have just received it today and I've tried a couple of Glide native games and can say, there is a massive improvement. This is also period accurate as this PC was release around the same time as the Voodoo 3's were.

So now, I can use this for Win95 games and newer WIn98/Me games that support Glide. Which makes it a useful PC to use (for me).

So that's the solution if you are having the same issue as I was for this Chipset / CPU combo! Upgrading the Mobo wasn't an option as I wanted an authentic IBM Aptiva motherboard that matched the case.

Reply 4 of 4, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You succumbed to sunk cost fallacy 😀. This is how PCChips PCs got people back in the day. Cheap upfront, then an avalanche of upgrades instead of switching to slot1 platform.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction