VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I've had this disgustingly yellowed mechanical Dell keyboard sitting in a wardrobe for almost 4 years now. This February I took it out and opened it up. The keycaps and case interior was full of all kinds of filth, but a tour in the washing machine and a lot of wiping down made it sanitary again.

20220222.jpg
Filename
20220222.jpg
File size
359.78 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

However, it was, the keycaps in particular, still yellowed like grandma's rotten teeth, so I reshelved it. Then came summer, and an idea came to me. Why don't I experiment with sunbrighting this thing? A whole summer of mediterranean sun and let's see how it will end up, why not?

1 Week Later (26/06/22)

20220626.jpg
Filename
20220626.jpg
File size
300.63 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

2 Weeks Later (03/07/22)

20220703.jpg
Filename
20220703.jpg
File size
297.04 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

3 Weeks Later (11/07/22)

20220711.jpg
Filename
20220711.jpg
File size
297 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by appiah4 on 2022-07-29, 11:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3 Weeks Later (12/07/22)

20220712.jpg
Filename
20220712.jpg
File size
291.4 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

5 Weeks Later (26/07/22)

20220726.jpg
Filename
20220726.jpg
File size
280.55 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

5.5 Weeks Later (29/07/22)

20220729.jpg
Filename
20220729.jpg
File size
215.81 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Not entirely there yet, but the case has whitened perfectly and the keycaps are a way healthier beige than the previous sickly yellow they were. Hopefully sitting in the sun through August will return the whole keyboard to its initial color and I can hook it up to my XPS D333 😎

Reply 2 of 12, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2022-07-29, 11:08:

Not entirely there yet, but the case has whitened perfectly and the keycaps are a way healthier beige than the previous sickly yellow they were. Hopefully sitting in the sun through August will return the whole keyboard to its initial color and I can hook it up to my XPS D333 😎

Wow! Seems to have worked.

The question I have always had is if this weakens the plastic. I imagine the peroxide retrobrighting might to a greater extent, but the sunbrighting less so. That's just a feeling though and probably doesn't make any sense because they both have the same effect.

Reply 3 of 12, by DrAnthony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Retrobrighting is a lot like buffing the paint on a car, where you only aim to alter (in that case remove) a tiny sliver of the top layer of the coat. Full submersion in liquid is far more likely to find a way deeper into the plastic (tiny cracks, somewhat porous surfaces...ect) where sunlight really should only effect a superficial layer. It also seems like a much lower "dose" than peroxide bath approaches since we are looking at weeks rather than a day or two. I'm sure that plays some sort of role in controlling the reaction.

Reply 4 of 12, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eesz34 wrote on 2022-07-29, 11:52:
appiah4 wrote on 2022-07-29, 11:08:

Wow! Seems to have worked.

The question I have always had is if this weakens the plastic. I imagine the peroxide retrobrighting might to a greater extent, but the sunbrighting less so. That's just a feeling though and probably doesn't make any sense because they both have the same effect.

Well, UV light alone definitely makes ABS plastic weaker. Even the small amount leaking from regular fluorescent tubes will make the tube holders brittle and fall apart after a few years. Extremely annoying.

On that note, I believe that problem could be more or less completely remedied by simply using black plastic, that would block the UV light from penetrating below the surface. Still, it's hard to find anything but white ones unless you go for the heavy duty industrial stuff, which usually isn't made from ABS anyways. Maybe it's some kind of planned obsolescence or something though 😜

Reply 5 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Weekly Update!

6 Weeks Later (01/08/22)

20220801.jpg
Filename
20220801.jpg
File size
306.31 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 6 of 12, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good stuff. I'm curious about the method. I presume you're using a peroxide solution & wrap? But you're not fully dismantling the keyboard each time? What does the process look like?

Reply 8 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-08-01, 09:10:

Good stuff. I'm curious about the method. I presume you're using a peroxide solution & wrap? But you're not fully dismantling the keyboard each time? What does the process look like?

I am using nothing, just letting the keyboard sit under the summer sun from dawn till dusk, every day.

Ydee wrote on 2022-08-01, 09:34:

Yes, its looks better, but the question is: how long will it last? Compaq mouse, which I bleached with peroxide and sun, turned yellow again after a few months in the box, so I am little sceptical.

All of my previously sunbrighter hardware still remain bleached. However, most of the stuff I bleached with peroxide have re-yellowed to a lesser extent. I find that sunbrighting is more permanent, if anything.

Reply 9 of 12, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2022-08-01, 09:46:

I am using nothing, just letting the keyboard sit under the summer sun from dawn till dusk, every day.

Oh right. Cool.

It's counter-intuitive, isn't it? UV makes it yellow. UV makes it white.

Reply 10 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-08-01, 10:18:
appiah4 wrote on 2022-08-01, 09:46:

Oh right. Cool.

It's counter-intuitive, isn't it? UV makes it yellow. UV makes it white.

Actually I don't think UV makes it yellow, I am all but sure the yellowing is due to heat and humidity. Parts in the sun yellow faster because they are hotter, not because of UV. I can't prove this, but anectodally: I have parts that sat in storage and never saw the light of day for years, but tin that damp warm storage room they yellowed significantly regardless.

Reply 12 of 12, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Definitely a strange unexplained science with these reactions. The only point i can think of against heat alone is when there is a label or sticker, or for that mater the inside of the item or under keycaps. The color usually remains original there, or yellows at a radically different rate.