Windows XP Build advice.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hakeshu wrote on 2022-09-22, 01:58:

After all the tests I realized that the seller assembled the kit with a rampage X-fi and not the original for the Maximum Formula. I will keep the kit since the deal for all the parts was good, but I can't make the X-fi to work on the mobo 🙁

Now I need to get a sound card for the system

Just FYI : First PCI-e slot is reversed on Maximus, and isn't on Sound card he provided.
But, this card should work in any other PCI-e slots (except black one).
You will need ASUS driver for FX sound card (Version 5.10.X.6480) : LINK

157143230295.png

Reply 21 of 28, by Hakeshu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote on 2022-09-25, 19:28:
Just FYI : First PCI-e slot is reversed on Maximus, and isn't on Sound card he provided. But, this card should work in any other […]
Show full quote
Hakeshu wrote on 2022-09-22, 01:58:

After all the tests I realized that the seller assembled the kit with a rampage X-fi and not the original for the Maximum Formula. I will keep the kit since the deal for all the parts was good, but I can't make the X-fi to work on the mobo 🙁

Now I need to get a sound card for the system

Just FYI : First PCI-e slot is reversed on Maximus, and isn't on Sound card he provided.
But, this card should work in any other PCI-e slots (except black one).
You will need ASUS driver for FX sound card (Version 5.10.X.6480) : LINK

Well, tried it and no luck. When connected to the black slot it recognizes as a pci device, but the driver won't load (there's no compatible device error on asus setup). When connect on both white slots it don't even show at the device manager. Well, time to hunt for a new sound card hahaha. Can you recomend a good model for this setup? people talks about X-Fi, but there's so many models and variants.

Reply 22 of 28, by Hakeshu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
buckeye wrote on 2022-09-22, 15:42:
Hakeshu wrote on 2022-09-21, 02:59:
Well, it took some time, but I finally managed to get a nice kit. […]
Show full quote

Well, it took some time, but I finally managed to get a nice kit.

Mobo: Maximum Formula with X-fi Sound Card
Processor: E8600
Memory: 2x CM2X2048-6400C5
Hard Disk - WD740 Raptor 74GB - 10,000rpm (waiting for the SSD)
GPU - Nvidia GTX550TI 1GB
PSU - CX430

I'm Pretty happy with the Machine. Time to enjoy some 2k awesomeness

Very similar to what I'm currently building. Yes, definitely get that X-Fi card you won't be disappointed.
What is the model number of that mobo? That thing is built like a tank!

That's the model
https://motherboarddb.com/motherboards/529/

Reply 23 of 28, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hakeshu wrote on 2022-09-27, 03:14:

Well, time to hunt for a new sound card hahaha. Can you recomend a good model for this setup? people talks about X-Fi, but there's so many models and variants.

Basically any other than a X-Fi Xtreme Audio or Titanium HD will do just fine, Xtreme Audio isn't hardware accelerated like that SupremeFX of yours and Titanium HD doesn't support Windows XP. Two things to note:

1. Creative cards are annoyingly picky with drivers, you need to find drivers specific to the model you have. You can find driver CD images from Vogons Drivers and from Internet Archive. If you get an OEM X-Fi card then you need to find the OEM driver for that card or use modified drivers like these: https://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/2021/

2. You'll notice some X-Fi cards have 64MB RAM and some 2MB. The diffence is nonexistent, the only games I know to benefit from 64MB onboard RAM are Unreal Tournament 2004 with the separate X-Fi patch and Quake IV.

Reply 24 of 28, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you care about front panel audio for your computer case, I recommend X-Fi XtremeGamer. It is a true accelerated X-Fi and the only one in the lineup with a standard AC97/HDAudio front panel header.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 26 of 28, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hakeshu wrote on 2022-09-27, 03:14:

Can you recomend a good model for this setup? people talks about X-Fi, but there's so many models and variants.

I'm using a Creative Labs Titanium Fatal1ty Champion edition. PCIe and fully supports up to and including EAX 5.0. Works like a champ with every EAX-enabled game I've thrown at it.

For EAX 5.0, any of the EMU 20K based cards will work.

If you don't care about EAX 5.0 (there are only a handful of games that use it), you could look at something like an Audigy 2 era of card (supports up to EAX 4.0).

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 28 of 28, by Hakeshu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: Now I'm looking for a X-Fi Soundcard (SB0460) and Fatal1ty Front Panel Unit (SB0250). Too bad it not as easy to find here in Brazil (at least not with a fair price). Let's keep F5'ing till one pops out on local market hahaha