VOGONS

First post, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trying to get a FIC VL-601 440LX board to work with a 667MHz Coppermine Celeron (SL4P9) in a MSI MS-6905 slotket.

Using the latest beta Award BIOS (ver. IC4139) unmodified, the computer will simply not post. Collected microcode for all 66MHz FSB slot1 and socket370 CPU:s, among them ID 00686 platform 10 parts, from the CPUMicrocodes repository, and patched the BIOS, replacing microcode for some 100MHz FSB parts originally supported. No real point in having support for them on a 440LX board anyways imo. Now it at least begins post with the Celeron, but freezes at CPU identification, text being somewhat scrambled. See attached pic.

I believe I did the BIOS patching correctly. The microcode storage structure is very simple in this BIOS, the blob is just the microcodes concatenated, without any header etc. The mobo still works perfectly with a Deschutes PII (SL2QH) with the patched BIOS.

The VRM controller (Raytheon RC5051) supports 1.7V output the Celeron requires.

Never had any problems with the MSI MS-6905 slotket before, it's been working perfectly with everything I've thrown at it so far. Tried with a "370SPC ver 1.0" noname slotket aswell, which only produces a blank screen.

Got no earlier experience whatsoever of the 440LX chipset. Before investing more time in trying to figure this out, does anyone here know if a Coppermine CPU at least theoretically should work with the 440LX chipset, or if some hardware limitations etc makes it impossible?

Any other suggestions on how to make this work are of course welcome too 😀

Attachments

Reply 1 of 10, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's weird, I have a PC Partner with i440LX and in the modded slotket1 (Gigabyte) runs any Coppermine (Both Celeron and Pentium) even without the BIOS update. On the opposite, after editing the BIOS and adding microcode for Coppermines, I have only the black screen, although the board booted in the background. I had to return the original BIOS, so Coppermine CPU doesn't identify correctly and runs at a lower frequency (multiplier x 66-75-83 FSB max), but Windows work and can be installed.

Reply 2 of 10, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ydee wrote on 2022-07-31, 09:37:

That's weird, I have a PC Partner with i440LX and in the modded slotket1 (Gigabyte) runs any Coppermine (Both Celeron and Pentium) even without the BIOS update. On the opposite, after editing the BIOS and adding microcode for Coppermines, I have only the black screen, although the board booted in the background. I had to return the original BIOS, so Coppermine CPU doesn't identify correctly and runs at a lower frequency (multiplier x 66-75-83 FSB max), but Windows work and can be installed.

Well, that's reassuring, then it's at least possible to use Coppermines with 440LX 😀

---

Tried booting with a POST card installed. It stops at Award POST code 18, "Test 8259 Interrupt Functionality". Guess I'm off trying to figure out if there are any reasons the interrupt controller wouldn't like the Celeron 😜

Reply 3 of 10, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am sorry, I have no time for extended testing and now is this mobo in paper box, but quick test I can make. Here you can see, how it boot up with P!!! 800 at 75 MHz FSB (slotket is Gigabyte GA-A7 simple passive slot1 to PPGA adapter, modded for Coppermine core) right now. Some months before I tested it with installation W98SE onto HDD too and it works like charm, but I dont have case for this mobo and HDD is used in another build. So, I can say, that on some mobos with i440LX can Coppermine cores sure work, but as you see, not on every.

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    Filename
    boot.jpg
    File size
    123 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • overall.jpg
    Filename
    overall.jpg
    File size
    193.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • afterset.jpg
    Filename
    afterset.jpg
    File size
    154.13 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 10, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In this case, the problem lies in the CPU's detection routine, which simply halts the further progress of POST.

You can use a program called "BIOS patcher", which would insert new CPU detection routines into the original BIOS or you could look for compatible BIOS from other manufacturers, that support coppermine CPUs, or in the worst case, disassemble BIOS and manually include/exclude mentioned routines.

Though I had encountered two major drawbacks when pairing 440LX chipset with coppermine CPUs, first one - incompatibility with Windows NT 5.X OSes (WIn 2k, XP), due to the lack of 440LX SSE support and second - real AGP cards will stop functioning properly, not sure why, though cards which ignore AGP features works fine.

Reply 5 of 10, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would just get a Mendocino Celeron 433 and run it at 6.5 x 83 = 540Mhz.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 6 of 10, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ydee wrote on 2022-07-31, 13:03:

I am sorry, I have no time for extended testing and now is this mobo in paper box, but quick test I can make. Here you can see, how it boot up with P!!! 800 at 75 MHz FSB (slotket is Gigabyte GA-A7 simple passive slot1 to PPGA adapter, modded for Coppermine core) right now. Some months before I tested it with installation W98SE onto HDD too and it works like charm, but I dont have case for this mobo and HDD is used in another build. So, I can say, that on some mobos with i440LX can Coppermine cores sure work, but as you see, not on every.

Now it works on mine too, see below. Thanks for your effort 😀

SSTV2 wrote on 2022-07-31, 13:06:

In this case, the problem lies in the CPU's detection routine, which simply halts the further progress of POST.

You can use a program called "BIOS patcher", which would insert new CPU detection routines into the original BIOS or you could look for compatible BIOS from other manufacturers, that support coppermine CPUs, or in the worst case, disassemble BIOS and manually include/exclude mentioned routines.

Though I had encountered two major drawbacks when pairing 440LX chipset with coppermine CPUs, first one - incompatibility with Windows NT 5.X OSes (WIn 2k, XP), due to the lack of 440LX SSE support and second - real AGP cards will stop functioning properly, not sure why, though cards which ignore AGP features works fine.

BIOS patcher did the trick! Took a few tries though. The auto patched BIOS wouldn't work, the computer would just reboot after initializing the GPU. Some hotflashing etc involved, and also general hair pulling caused by crashes due to the PII CPU I used when working with this not being properly seated. Thought it was the PLCC BIOS chip first, those can be quite sensitive to deformed/bent pins etc. Finally found a working set of patches by doing it manually, omitting the fixes I didn't explicitly need.

DSC_6952.JPG
Filename
DSC_6952.JPG
File size
106.36 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

CPU-z reports everything correctly too.

Looks like you were right about the CPU detection routines 😀

The GPU is a Diamond Viper 550, Nvidia TNT. Not sure if it's using any AGP features, or if it's just one of those glorified PCI cards. Seems to work perfectly in any case. Might try with something more recent at some point and see what happens.

AlexZ wrote on 2022-07-31, 13:21:

I would just get a Mendocino Celeron 433 and run it at 6.5 x 83 = 540Mhz.

Oh, well, just playing around some, to see what's possible with this board, and hopefully learn something along the way. Already sorted when it comes to PIII era stuff 😀

Reply 7 of 10, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's great to see you got Coppermine Celeron working. In that case I would get a PIII 900E (9x100) and run it at 750Mhz (9x83.3). PIII is much faster than Coppermine Celeron in games, although not so much in synthetic benchmarks.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 8 of 10, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There exists a 766MHz celeron at 11,5x66, if you want to get very high multiplier and then push the FSB. 😉
I have one and love it.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 9 of 10, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlexZ wrote on 2022-07-31, 18:07:

It's great to see you got Coppermine Celeron working. In that case I would get a PIII 900E (9x100) and run it at 750Mhz (9x83.3). PIII is much faster than Coppermine Celeron in games, although not so much in synthetic benchmarks.

GigAHerZ wrote on 2022-07-31, 18:21:

There exists a 766MHz celeron at 11,5x66, if you want to get very high multiplier and then push the FSB. 😉
I have one and love it.

Got a 1.1GHz Coppermine PIII (100*11) I could try out at some point, just for the hell of it 😀

Reply 10 of 10, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kaputnik wrote on 2022-07-31, 08:55:

Trying to get a FIC VL-601 440LX board to work with a 667MHz Coppermine Celeron

Hello. As there are not reviews of FIC VL-601 over net (at least didn't find any, including Anandtech and Tomshardware, that used to review FIC boards a lot)
I want to ask, how do you set FIC VL-601 FSB, and what overclocking options it has.

I guess, it doesn't have CPU voltage adjustment, as only best Slot 1 boards had that?
Can you set FSB to 75 or 83, through jumpers, or directly in BIOS?