VOGONS

Reply 20 of 26, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-07-31, 15:09:
Yes, I never disable virtual memory. I have tried both with allowing Windows to manage memory for me and by specifying the page […]
Show full quote

Yes, I never disable virtual memory. I have tried both with allowing Windows to manage memory for me and by specifying the page file, either growing or of a fixed size. The issue doesn't appear to involve swap file usage at all, because when there is sufficient physical memory available, the swap file is never used (it doesn't grow).

This problem is the state that the operating system can find itself in where some kind of "memory" resource has become exhausted. I can induce this state during testing by using my stress-open tool. I wrote this tool as a reaction to finding my system falling into this state with normal use and trying to find a way to induce it on demand for testing and replication.

This is after a fresh reboot. The tool opens Notepad (a native Win32 program) and closes it gracefully with the WM_CLOSE message (this is what happens when you click the X button). The stress-open tool is also a Win32 binary; there is no 16-bit code here. But somehow the operating system becomes unable to open a DOS window, despite still being able to run Win32 applications.

What DOES happen right before this state is my tool tries to open notepad.exe but it fails to open. At this point I can continue to open Notepad as normal, but I can't run anything that uses the DOS subsystem. Maybe it's some kind of race condition that corrupts memory somewhere in the kernel.

Does Windows 98 support JIT debugging? Maybe this can provide some more information as to what causes Notepad to crash.

I can reproduce this problem on a fresh install on real hardware or a VM after a clean reboot simply by opening and closing Notepad repeatedly, until errors start to appear. Cygwin also triggers the symptoms, but there is some kind of underlying problem within Windows itself that is the root cause.

Reply 21 of 26, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have this with all the windows 9x versions or some versions specifically?
Have you tested it with all the different versions ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 23 of 26, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, can you send/upload your notepAd-opening test program? just like to try if happen on my setup too. How many open/close it takes until it breaks?

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 25 of 26, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BTW an utitilty MemTurbo offerend some kind of memory defrag. You can try if it will restore system to working state instead restart.

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 26 of 26, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RayeR wrote on 2023-06-15, 00:14:

Hi, can you send/upload your notepAd-opening test program? just like to try if happen on my setup too. How many open/close it takes until it breaks?

It's always been available. I mention it in my second post on this thread as a link elsewhere.

stress-open.exe: A tool to open and close an application repeatedly

The amount of time it takes for everything to break is hard to guess. It can take a little while or a long time. I didn't perform any analysis as to whether memory size made a difference.

Proper analysis, I think, would require multiple tests across different CPU speeds to determine if memory capacity matters and if opening and closing a program more quickly has any bearing. These tests wouldn't be to determine whether the problem occurs (it will always occur) but rather how soon given different pressure and if there is some randomness to it.

The program will always stop itself once Windows runs out of memory, because an error window will appear.