VOGONS

First post, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there.
The PSU of a Pentium III PC pop after turning it on. The PSU was made in 2003. As soon as I heard the noise I cut off the current. Then I opened and dismounted it to check the inside.
What I have discovered, on the high voltage side:

• a crackled thermistor
  • an odd looking filtering capacitor

On the low voltage side :

• some bulged caps

I think the noise came from the thermistor (cf. its crack). No smoke, just a little smell for a few minute. I tested it and seems fine (from the datasheet pov). Then I tested the PSU with a voltage monitor and the PSU is working fine with all voltage OK.
So as nothing goes bad except some aging electronic components. I think this PSU must have a refresh. And for that I would like to use some good quality ones.

The caps are 3300 µF 10V (x4) and 2200 µF 16 (x2) branded Fuhjyyu. Only some are bulged, but I'll replace them all by Panasonic equivalent (EEUFC1A332 & EEUFK1C222L).
The thermistor is a Microtherm SCK-2R512 [https://cdn.datasheetspdf.com/pdf-down/S/C/K/ … _Microtherm.pdf]. They do not exist anymore thermistors with the same characteristics. But I found an EPCOS/TDK B57364S0259M000 [https://docs.rs-online.com/1913/0900766b813c0c7c.pdf] could be suitable. This is an important component that protect the PSU from power peak and must be chosen wisely.
The AC filtering cap does not inspire me at all as not all common information we find on such component is written on it and it look low-end. The brand is UTX, model HQX. It is a polyester film capacitors, class X2 , 0.33 µF, 275 V AC. I would like to replace it with an EPCOS/TDK B32933A3334K000 [https://docs.rs-online.com/8f49/A700000008614371.pdf].

What do you think of my selections? Do you know more suitable ones?
Thank you 😀

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 1 of 4, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Note that the NTC (thermistor), while it might protect the PSU (components) from extreme peak-currents at startup, also - or even primarily - protects the fuse of your mains outlet from blowing when turning on the system.
I think a thermistor with 'similar' characteristics should do.

Reply 2 of 4, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes indeed. That too, the fuse is in serial right next to it. Thanks for the precision 😀
With hardly any feedback from here I decided to order the components and give it a try.
I received the components today and made the repair. Tested the electronics many time on many steps. I got a little problem with the installation of the Panasonic 3300 µF capacitors as they are larger than the originals and the originals were tight against electromagnetic coils, resistors, and ATX and 4-pins/SATA power wires. That was quite a challenge to make the new ones fit-in. But I eventually made it 😀
The PSU is now working fine and quietly. The PC chars are:

• Antec SX1030B case
  • ASUS P3B-F
  • Pentium III 750 MHz Katmai
  • Micron 2x512 MB PC-100 SDRAM
  • nVidia GeForce 2 Ultra
  • Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Platinum
  • Plextor PX-760A
  • PCI cards with VIA chipset for USB 2.0 & IEEE1394
  • Mitsumi Floppy drive 1.44 MB
  • Promise FastTrack S150
  • Antec DataChute PCMCIA drive
  • Iomega Zip-100 ATAPI

Considering the hardware behind, that was really important to take no risk and to be sure everything was right.
Tested for more than two hours with Homeworld 2 and Unreal II and PC Probe gives almost straight line for the power monitoring.
Now time will tell. Because manufacturers today do not publish technical manuals anymore, its always possible when making changes here and there to lead to future problems. It's difficult to be certain of anything because of that. So I'm crossing my fingers here.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 3 of 4, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well done.
The ANTEC True Power PSUs are reliable workhorses, their only weakness were the Fuhiyyu / cheapo electrolytics. Since you have fixed this expect the PSU lo last for many coming years.

P.S.: I meant the fuse in your house that could blow without any limiting of the maximum current.

Reply 4 of 4, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good job, I also replaced all the caps on mine (except the 2 big ones on the primary, which are Rubycons). I also had problems finding replacements for the 3300uF caps that would fit in there as the original Fuhjyyu ones were really slim, but luckily I managed to contact someone from badcaps.net who made a custom order to Nippon Chemi-con for a thinner/taller variant of one of their low ESR series.

It's great for 5V heavy loads, I got mine when I built my first Athlon 64 PC in the mid '00s.