VOGONS

First post, by k9cj5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got my hands on a msi k7t pro 2 with a 1.2 ghz athlon CPU. It posts ok but it's in need of some love. I noticed one of support pads is missing. It seems like it might be ok with 3 of the 4 but I wanted to see what you guys thought. Finding a replacement might be an issue. Also I noticed that two caps on the motherboard look swollen. Looks like they're 2700uF 6.3v volt caps. Where do you guys get your replacements, and what brand do you usually go for? Also the CPU cooler fan sounds like it's done for. It looks like the stock cooler. The fan is 60mm and the hole spacing is 55mm. I thought about just getting a new cooler but finding a socket a cooler is proving to be difficult.

Reply 1 of 1, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For capacitors I've been buying Nichicons from Ebay vendors. I did have a video card where I bought some "Brand X" cheapies from Amazon, and they began bulging a day after I installed them! So it now has Nichicons, and I got to do the job twice.

There are new copper bottom Socket A coolers on Ebay that aren't too bad. My 8KRA+ has a 2800+ I think (it has 333 bus so it was easy to overclock to 3200+ speed by bumping it to 400 MHz FSB) and one of those Ebay coolers worked okay for that in a well cooled case. I later got a deal on a Thermalwright AX7, which was one of the first generation of heavy duty CPU coolers. It was also nostalgic for me, I had one back in early 2002.

You could just replace the fan on the heatsink you have, that would be the easiest fix.

If you aren't planning on overclocking that CPU, you shouldn't need a super heavy duty CPU cooler. The early stock type coolers didn't have nearly as much spring pressure as the later heavy duty ones, or the really heavy spring pressure of the aftermarket ones. If there isn't too much pressure on the clip, there isn't that much danger of chipping the core with one of the pads missing. Worst case scenario would be chipping the core to the point where the CPU won't work and you have to replace it (between fifteen and twenty five dollars on Ebay RN).

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey