VOGONS

First post, by Bla7000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Even though i had a working prototype a little while ago, i think this idea is now pretty much complete. This is a recreation of Sharps CE-700E expansion chassis, a large box that houses an interface card, a backplane, a powersupply and a weirdly proprietary MFM harddiks controller.
Since my own usecase doesn't call for an MFM harddrive (or a extra powersupply), this project is just the interface card and backplane combined into a single card, which gives the Sharp PC7000 or PC7100 an ISA slot.
Due to architectual limitations this doesn't mean it can take any ISA card, most things don't work. But those chinese ISA to USB boards do work, and pretty well too.
But first, the hardware it's based on, the CE-700E expansion chassis:

IMG_3904a.JPG
Filename
IMG_3904a.JPG
File size
535.85 KiB
Views
File comment
Sharp PC7100 and CE-700E
File license
Public domain

My first working version was this one:

Closeup1.JPG
Filename
Closeup1.JPG
File size
294.75 KiB
Views
File comment
First prototype
File license
Public domain

This week i received the new prototype boards, which i've named CE700minE, finished building the first board today and it's working.

Overview.JPG
Filename
Overview.JPG
File size
250.35 KiB
Views
File comment
CE700minE connected to PC7100
File license
Public domain
Closeup.JPG
Filename
Closeup.JPG
File size
418.47 KiB
Views
File comment
CE700minE
File license
Public domain
Testing.JPG
Filename
Testing.JPG
File size
187.77 KiB
Views
File comment
Disktest results
File license
Public domain

The system boots from a gotek drive, loads the driver for the USB card from the gotek image and then uses the USB drive as any mass storage drive, it's also hot swapable. the USB stick i use is 2 gigs and for as far i can see it can be used fully.
The disktest results may not seem that impressive, but the real MFM harddrive in the original CE-700E is not that much faster in disktest.