VOGONS

First post, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I got one of those modded PIII-S chips from the korean guy on ebay and wanted to give it a go. Board boots up and correctly identifies it, but then froze up after the memory testing. Rebooted the machine and it wouldn't even POST. Swapped my Via C3 back in and everything was fine. Currently using the powleap3.bin BIOS from http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=727 in case it turns out to not have the needed microcode or something

Slotket is a later revision MSI Master (MSI-6905), was just using it to run a Coppermine P3 866MHz, board is set to 133 FSB and 9.5x mult via DIP switches in case it matters. Slotket is jumpered for 133 FSB and 1.45v (which the board's PWM should absolutely support). Have made sure the CPU is fully inserted and the cooler's retention mechanism plays nice with the little bit of extra height. Just out of ideas now, other than maybe try the Shuttle C003-HOT slotket I have since it also has a voltage DIP block that goes low enough for tualatin

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card
Win XP SP3: C2Q 9650, 4GB RAM, X-Fi Titanium, GTX 750
PowerMac G4 QS 800MHz + GeForce4 Ti4200, OS 9
PowerMac G5 DP 1.8Ghz + ATi x800 XT, Leopard

Reply 1 of 6, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Never mind, the C003-HOT works fine with the thing so I guess my Rev 2.3 MS3605 just hates me ; v ;

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card
Win XP SP3: C2Q 9650, 4GB RAM, X-Fi Titanium, GTX 750
PowerMac G4 QS 800MHz + GeForce4 Ti4200, OS 9
PowerMac G5 DP 1.8Ghz + ATi x800 XT, Leopard

Reply 2 of 6, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have rev 1.5 of that board, and Celeron 1.4 Ghz in slotket works like the charm. I have powerleap adaptor. MSI Master slotket works with coppermine, but not sure with tualatins. Maybe after some modifications. With Powerleap adaptor, the board should work with Tualatins.

Reply 3 of 6, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey TehGuy, this might be helpful.

See this thread - Tualatin on GA-BX2000+ / SlotT

My reply on there :

"have the same issue on my GA-6BXC Slot 1 board with MS6905 Adapter when using one of the modified III-s 1.4 Tualatins. Certain Tualatin compatible BIOS might POST but will immediately lock up at 133FSB but with most of the Tualatin-BIOS it won't even POST. 100FSB is no problem... and the board does 133Mhz FSB just fine with VIA C3 CPUs.

I contacted the seller of the modified CPUs and he offered to modify my board for free but I'll have still have to pay postage to South Korea and back. There is some language barrier but here is what he said of it:

And an overclocked BX M/B can not be guaranteed a working of P-IIIs 1.4G. Major reason is signal quality do not meet timing […]
Show full quote

And an overclocked BX M/B can not be guaranteed a working of P-IIIs 1.4G.
Major reason is signal quality do not meet timing specific.

GA6BXC uses a ICS9148-26 for Frequency Generator.
But, this IC is designed for 100MHz FSB.
=> https://www.idt.com/document/dst/9148-26-datasheet
( on page 3, => Note1. Performance not guaranteed )
This means actual FSB can be reached up to 131%(174MHz) for one clock timing level.
By this reason, CPU can be overclocked for short time.
If lucky, ICS9148-26 does not go to 174MHz or CPU works at 174MHz for short time.
But, any case it is out of specific.

Next can help you to understand what is need to work CPU.
=> http://download.intel.com/design/PentiumIII/d … ts/24526408.pdf
( page 22 to 55 )

Fixing will be simple and it is analog level works.
I do not have intent of changing any M/B function.
But, before measurement, I can not tell you which part or value will be changed.
And if big change is needed, I will ask you with details.

And M/B, MS6905 and CPU have signal quality control parts.
I will adjust only these parts.

All basic function will not be changed.
Modification key point is signal quality adjustment.
It is not adding or removing IC part.
After measurement of signal quality, adjusting value of resistor or capacitor.
Maybe, you will not know what is changed.

He also says he can find a way to get it running on my SE440BX-2 board if I wanted to use that."

Reply 4 of 6, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
infiniteclouds wrote on 2022-11-18, 04:05:

> This means actual FSB can be reached up to 131%(174MHz) for one clock timing level.

This part is nonsense or lost in translation. Generated clock has optional ±0.5% or ±1.5% constant modulation (Spread spectrum) so max is +2MHz, jitter is 250ps. Where did he come up with this 130% offset? As for "Note1. Performance not guaranteed" so is 112MHz. I dont think the mod has anything to do with clock generation chip.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 6, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-11-19, 00:27:
infiniteclouds wrote on 2022-11-18, 04:05:

> This means actual FSB can be reached up to 131%(174MHz) for one clock timing level.

This part is nonsense or lost in translation. Generated clock has optional ±0.5% or ±1.5% constant modulation (Spread spectrum) so max is +2MHz, jitter is 250ps. Where did he come up with this 130% offset? As for "Note1. Performance not guaranteed" so is 112MHz. I dont think the mod has anything to do with clock generation chip.

Thank you for sharing your take. Frankly it's all beyond me but it sounds like I made the right decision not sending my board out for modification and settling for 100Mhz FSB when using my Tualatin-S in Slotket on this board. I didn't see these same issues at 133Mhz FSB on the C3 CPUs, though.

Reply 6 of 6, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If its the guy manufacturing those Tulalatin flex interposers then Im sure he knows what he is doing and has some tricks up his sleeve, just that part I replied to was BS. Might be bad translation, might be wanting to keep secrets secret.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction