VOGONS

First post, by Rocket202

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, i tried many times untill ask.

I have a problem with IRQ, i have disabled pnp os in bios and all the stuff is disabled coms, the second ide, usb etc, everything is disabled and then i have performed a clean install + 98lite (is the 3rd time i see this IRQ problem) (because peripherals are deactivated, windows had not seen them and not installed them)

If i dont do a bios defaults Win98SE doesn't go back to normal and I don't understand why.

Board gigabyte 5ax, only 1 awe64 isa plugged & voodoo 3 2000, ide to sd adapter or ide to sata adapter (now testing this one with an ssd drive)

My bios only allows me to choose legacy isa (i choose this method for the sound blaster IRQ & DMA) and isa/pci pnp, only this 2 options. (maybe im not understanding how IRQ assign works to configure it?)

IRQ:
0: system times
1: keyboard
2: programmable interrupt controller.
3 free
4 free
5 awe64
6 free
7 free
8 cmos
9 SCI irq used by acpi bus (this one comes after install 98lite?, i dont remember see it before)
10 free (normally here is the vga card & irq steering)
11 free
12 mouse ps2
13 numeric data processor
14 ide pci bus master
15 ide pci bus master
15 vga
15 ACPI irq golder for pci irq steering (this one normally is 10 with the VGA)

14 & 15 should be double for ide 1&2 (just to clarify that i know it)

DMA:
1 & 5 awe64
4 Direct memory access controller
(eveything else empty)

Tried before disabling irq steering to see if windows stop assigning irq like this didnt work.

Before i had dma 3/7 for awe 64 and windows only allowed me to change it for 5/7 if i remember correctly is weird it has done this irq with the awe64.

THE MAIN PROBLEM:Why im still doing this search of better versions etc is because my main problem is when i enable DMA (this board only has 33) is broken, if i install the ali IDE driver for ide 1 & 2 is automatically BSOD at the start of the OS, i can run DMA but with some weird problem with the audio.(if i enter in safe mode there is not ide), i can install the ALI driver only for the main controller (not ide 1 & 2)
For example at the start of the OS the sound has a terrible stutter cutting and sometimes (just sometimes) while playing there is a loop in audio or whatever.
If i dont use DMA is okey.

Maybe im doing something incorrectly with the bios-windows config?, the board bios as default has PNP os disabled and do a weird thing irq 14-15 with legacy isa, this is for IDE controller.
I have perfomed a lot of OS new installations & drivers, looking on the net for stuff etc.

Memtest done is ok.

Thank you.

EDIT: maybe i have to disable everything inside windows before disable it in bios?

Reply 1 of 4, by Rocket202

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i answer to myself.

already fixed it... IDE controller inside devide manager has that yellow simbol for conflict (ide 1 & 2 was not shown), properties on IDE controller and choose to use only ide 1 (because in bios i have disabled the second one).

What a stupid thing... I've spent all the afternoon with this problem.

Stutter sound at the start almost dissapeared, maybe due to this light 98lite version ¿something heavy loading at the start?, no idea but only happens with DMA enable, still going to dig to see if i resolve this.

any suggestion is appreciated.

Reply 2 of 4, by Rocket202

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ANSWERING MY SELFFF, I RESOLVEEDDD ITTT GUYSSSSSSS, days with this sound problem, I HAVE RESOLVED IT!!!!, is working now good, YEAHHHHHHHHHHH.

After installing the IDE driver i didnt restart computer to take effect, repeats the same operation, go to device manager and select only ide 1 as operative and it worked.

Seems like this controller is not in good comunication with the os? (idk if removing something with 98lite has done anything with this), I have tried many times before, but I don't know if I tried activating both ports in the bios.

ANYWAY IS FIXEDDDD, im really happy!!!, what amount of hours untill fixed it.

Is really late, but im going to play something... this goal diserve it.

because when booting the operating system with dma & drivers = bsod, I have restarted again just to enjoy that it did not happen hahahahaahahaha.

cheers.

Reply 4 of 4, by Rocket202

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2022-08-10, 06:14:

Epic. What did you end up on playing?

You dont belive what im going to say, but i forgot to take the agp driver, power off the computer, write the driver from another computer, plugged in again and... surprise i forgot to remove the sticker from the motherboard battery, no contact with the board, cmos values gone.
Start the OS and started to install all the stuff, ended with a badly os installation.

To resume, this adapters seems to not be friendly with this board, i tried again today, i can now install the drivers but i get random bsods and im over over over over tired about this, tried like 10 windows installations, search for info etc.

The problem with the drivers is if i not install them, windows not recognize the hdd, and this is what is causing the corrupted audio.
Im going to try my last time with the sd adapter and go to find an old IDE hdd.