VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So the Compaq Presario 1610 laptop I bought didn't have a power supply (teach me to read more carefully)
It arrived today.

According to the info on the bottom of the laptop, it takes 18.6v, 2.8a DC.. and then next to that is a straight line with 3 dashed lines under it. I'm guessing this is to designate polarity? If so, does it mean center positive, or center negative?

The nearest I can find is on Amazon; it's 18.5v, 3.5a... I'm assuming this will fry the laptop, because of the high amperage?
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Charger-Supply … 60343144&sr=8-5

Any advice would be welcome; gonna sit it on a shelf til I can find a power supply for it.

Reply 1 of 6, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

> straight line with 3 dashed lines under it

That means DC (as opposed to AC).

AC DC.jpg
Filename
AC DC.jpg
File size
15.72 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

For polarity, look for a symbol like this:

polarity.jpg
Filename
polarity.jpg
File size
13.57 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 6, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-08-12, 23:12:
> straight line with 3 dashed lines under it […]
Show full quote

> straight line with 3 dashed lines under it

That means DC (as opposed to AC).

AC DC.jpg

For polarity, look for a symbol like this:

polarity.jpg

yeah, I looked for that, and it's nowhere on the laptop that I can see. Usually it's by the barrel jack, but not in this case.

Reply 3 of 6, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm tempted to say that this will take any common 19V laptop supply. But I'm always cautious to throw out blanket advice like that when it comes to retro gear.

Have a look at this 3rd party offering (which I'm not endorsing) for plug details (sadly polarity still not mentioned): https://www.laptop-charger.com.au/compaq-lapt … top-charger.php

Note that it's rated 4.7A, so onto your question about that. Amperage is not fed into the device, it is drawn by the device as required. So that one can provide up to 4.7A according to the specs. But the laptop will only draw 2.8 of those amps, according to its specs. Think of it like putting a 1000W PSU into your desktop rig. It's not going to pump all that power in - it's just going to be there if you need it. The important thing is having the correct voltage, provided by a properly regulated supply.

Reply 4 of 6, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-08-13, 00:15:

I'm tempted to say that this will take any common 19V laptop supply. But I'm always cautious to throw out blanket advice like that when it comes to retro gear.

Have a look at this 3rd party offering (which I'm not endorsing) for plug details (sadly polarity still not mentioned): https://www.laptop-charger.com.au/compaq-lapt … top-charger.php

Note that it's rated 4.7A, so onto your question about that. Amperage is not fed into the device, it is drawn by the device as required. So that one can provide up to 4.7A according to the specs. But the laptop will only draw 2.8 of those amps, according to its specs. Think of it like putting a 1000W PSU into your desktop rig. It's not going to pump all that power in - it's just going to be there if you need it. The important thing is having the correct voltage, provided by a properly regulated supply.

Thank you VERY much for that great explanation!!

Reply 6 of 6, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zeerex wrote on 2022-08-14, 23:45:

I have a 1688. Probably the same power adapter. It’s a Compaq ADP-60DB. Output: 19V 3.16A

Hope that helps

According to the bottom of the notebook, it takes 18.6v and 2.7a, which doesn't concern me as much as the barrel size.
From what I've been able to glean, the barrel could be 4.7mm x 1.8mm or 5.5mm x 2.5mm

I've been looking for "universal" adapters that have both size tips and can output in the 18-19v range, but haven't had a lot of luck yet.
There are some that might be right, but they're usually missing a piece of info, like either the voltage or the tip size.