VOGONS

First post, by tschak909

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

(this is being posted to several places, so some context is given)

Am currently debugging a replacement for a hard drive setup in a GRiDCASE 1530. (an 80386 laptop, running MS-DOS).

It uses a Phoenix BIOS dated 10/25/89, and does not have a ROM setup program, but rather automatically configures itself on each power-on.

The BIOS has been patched to always present a hard disk geometry of 992 cyl, 16 heads, 63 sectors (for 512 megabyte cards), and this geometry has been verified with IDEID with each of the cards I am using. INT 13H is set up to utilize this geometry.

Am testing a couple of different adaptors:

Startech IDE2CF
Startech IDE2SD

All with a smattering of both CF and SD cards sized 512 megs, all verified with the geometry stated above.

I can usually get to the point where I can with GRiD MS-DOS 3.30, FDISK, to create a 32 megabyte initial partition, FORMAT C: /S/V, and be able to copy files onto the resulting volume.

But when I boot the result, the BIOS hangs trying to access the first sector.

When attempting MS-DOS 6.22's setup procedure, it creates the partition, but hangs, again, first sector, when trying to format the disk.

What could be causing this mysterious behavior? It seems to exist across various different adapters and cards.

Reply 1 of 1, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"CHS addressing with 28 bits (EIDE and ATA-2) permits eight bits for sectors still starting at 1, i.e., sectors 1...255, four bits for heads 0...15, and sixteen bits for cylinders 0...65535"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder-head-sector

There are 16 heads, but the highest value might be 15 for some BIOSes/Setup programs.

Edit: That being said, I had similar issues with the ~1988 Phoenix BIOS of my Schneider Tower AT (a 286 machine).
The DOM/CF card hung the machine every single time during POST, if I had chosen a HDD Type in CMOS Setup.
Disabling it ("no HDD installed") and using XT-IDE Universal BIOS solved it for me.

Edit: You can use S0KILL to clear your HDD, if you like.
It wipes the hidden track 0 and optionally, the whole disk.
That way, the HDD looks factory new to MS-DOS again, no leftover data will remain that possibly could confuse FDISK.
It's using BIOS and is non-destructive (no low-level format Voodoo involved).

Re: IDE to Compact Flash as MS-DOS boot drive.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//