VOGONS

First post, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi guys,
im building up a P2 system using an LX chipset board .. ive got 2 cpus (350 p2 and a 450 p3).. i dont have a 233/266/300 cpu..
in theory if i use the 350 cpu on the 66mhz fsb Lx board i will have a 233 and if i use the 450 i will have a 300..
question is, arnt all the first 66mhz p2's the "Klamath" core cpus running at 2.8v and the 100mhz "Deschutes" are running 2.0v... so wont the lx board be putting out 2.8v to the cpu which will only be rated at 2.0v... damage?

has anyone done this and can confirm my theory that it is/isnt do-able... dont want to fry my cpus obviously ..
hopefully i have made my question clear...thx

Reply 1 of 8, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'll probably be fine, but it's best to to check the specs of the VRM chip, it'll be a small chip near the caps and mosfets near your CPU socket. If it can supply 2.0v, it'll do so if the CPU asks for that.

Reply 2 of 8, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2022-08-19, 19:00:

You'll probably be fine, but it's best to to check the specs of the VRM chip, it'll be a small chip near the caps and mosfets near your CPU socket. If it can supply 2.0v, it'll do so if the CPU asks for that.

hi had a look on the board and find 2 voltage regs near where you said

NEC k2941
and
EZ1084CT

Attachments

Reply 3 of 8, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kennyPENTIUMpowers wrote on 2022-08-20, 06:14:
hi had a look on the board and find 2 voltage regs near where you said […]
Show full quote

hi had a look on the board and find 2 voltage regs near where you said

NEC k2941
and
EZ1084CT

These are transistors, not a voltage regulator. Do you know the motherboard type? Generally, slot 1 board with LX chipsets was designed also for Mendocino Celerons, so is very likely to be able to Vcore 2.0V. I have PC Partner with LX and and this works with both Deschutes and Katmai slot 1 and even with Coppermine cores via slotket (but these are not perfectly stable, while older cores works both rock stable at FSB 83MHz).
Mine has Fairchild RC5051M voltage regulator, which can do 1,3-3,5Vcore. Try to find yours (same or similar chip), but I'm 99% sure that 2.0Vcore will definitely your board handle.

Another issue is support in bios - mine recognizes all CPUs as PII MMX, but it works.

Attachments

• lx.jpg
    Filename
    lx.jpg
    File size
    739.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 8, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ydee ... the board is a GA-686LX rev. 1D...

i havent had it running yet so am note sure what the bios will give me access to..

im thinking that being that the board is a later revision it will probably have support for the later 2.0V 66MHz bus P2's...

would the vreg be the rc5041m raytheon (near the 2 chips i circled from the earlier pic)

Reply 5 of 8, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ydee ... the board is a GA-686LX rev. 1D...

i havent had it running yet so am note sure what the bios will give me access to..

im thinking that being that the board is a later revision it will probably have support for the later 2.0V 66MHz bus P2's...

would the vreg be the rc5041m raytheon (near the 2 chips i circled from the earlier pic)

tried to load a pic of it but get "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct." ... no idea

Attachments

Reply 6 of 8, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yea, it is same Vreg as mine, only produced by Raytheon. So Vcore 1,3 up to 3,5V able, dont worry.

Edit: The table in the manual for supported CPUs mentions, for example, PII 333 and this also has Vcore 2.0V.

Attachments

• cpulx.jpg
    Filename
    cpulx.jpg
    File size
    54.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 7 of 8, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As above. Got the Raytheon made variant of RC5051M on a 440LX board (FIC VL-601). It can output 1.3-2.1V in steps of 0.05V and 2.2 to 3.5V in steps of 0.1V.

Generally, controllers for PII/PIII won't output anything if the CPU asks for something it can't supply. As long as you don't have anything between the CPU that can alter the signal (like a slotket with voltage setting jumpers etc) it's 100% safe to test by just plugging the CPU in and power the mobo on. If the CPU boots, the VRM can output the requested voltage. Worst thing that can happen is that the controller gets a signal it doesn't understand, and simply won't power on the CPU.