VOGONS

POST, No boot issue...

Topic actions

First post, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I managed to collect enough hardware for my Windows 95 system. Some of you may have seen my post titled "Windows 95 Gaming?"
Specs are AMD K6-2/350, has a single 128mb dimm, and 2, 8mb simms (i think), on board graphics, if you reference back to the aforementioned post, i have pics of the boards there, it the one with the "3D Pro" heat sink

Whats going on, is it sees the hdd, it sees the cdrom, and it sees the floppy just fine.

booting from hdd, it says
"searching for boot record from ide-0... ok
Invalid system disk. Insert system disk and press any key to try again."

booting from floppy, it says
"searching for boot record from floppy... ok
_"
And sits there. blinking that cursor. nothing more. Waited up to 10 mins.

Ive installed windows 95 on the hdd im attempting to use on my old compaq prolinea thats running a pentium 1. My assumption was maybe I need to reinstall the OS on the hardware i want to use, which is why im trying to boot to my win95 boot floppy, to wipe the disk and re install the OS. But it just sits there with a cursor as mentioned before. Ive tried different cables, different drives, poked around in bios, and have gotten nothing to work. Help is appreciated as always.

Reply 3 of 27, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-08-21, 19:47:

Have you tried another boot disk? Are you hearing the floppy drive reading the disk then stopping?

I havent tried another boot disk, no. But the drive does read the disk, then stops. Im using a known working drive, disk, and cable.

Reply 4 of 27, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With the failure rate of floppy disks, I would definitely try more than one. If you've tried several that will get the the A: in other systems, I would then strip the system down to a barebones configuration and see if you can get to the A: then. I'd also try a bootable CD of any operating system just to see if that works. Try and format the hard drive with Super Fdisk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5ivV5tyfRs

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 5 of 27, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-08-21, 21:05:

With the failure rate of floppy disks, I would definitely try more than one. If you've tried several that will get the the A: in other systems, I would then strip the system down to a barebones configuration and see if you can get to the A: then.

Agree ! Think that is Gibbs rule #11 😁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 27, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-08-21, 21:05:

With the failure rate of floppy disks, I would definitely try more than one. If you've tried several that will get the the A: in other systems, I would then strip the system down to a barebones configuration and see if you can get to the A: then. I'd also try a bootable CD of any operating system just to see if that works. Try and format the hard drive with Super Fdisk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5ivV5tyfRs

Update, formatted a different floppy and rewrote the win 95 boot disk, alls working good now. couple small issues id like to address tho. Upon bootup, when is detecting drives, it detects the primary hdd proper, but when detecting the cdrom, it says "Primary Slave error: ATAPI Incompatible" yet, i can press F1 to continue booting, and it all works fine. More of an inconvenience, really.

Secondly, I have a little breakout board, that has USB, PS/2, and IR that for some reason the system isnt detecting the mouse i have plugged into the PS/2 port.

Reply 7 of 27, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's a known good PS/2 mouse, I'd begin by making sure all of the wires for the PS/2 connector on the adapter have continuity (are the USB ports good?). If yes, then find the pin out for the PS/2 mouse header and make sure the wiring is correct. If yes, then check for voltage on the pins. This image is an example - your motherboard may be different.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 27, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am too tired to search that other "Windows 95 Gaming?" thread. What motherboard are you using ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 27, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-08-22, 00:05:

If it's a known good PS/2 mouse, I'd begin by making sure all of the wires for the PS/2 connector on the adapter have continuity (are the USB ports good?). If yes, then find the pin out for the PS/2 mouse header and make sure the wiring is correct. If yes, then check for voltage on the pins. This image is an example - your motherboard may be different.

Unfortunately, I dont have a multimeter available, and im not quite certain what i could plug into a usb port on a win95 system to see if it works

Reply 11 of 27, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-08-22, 00:59:
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-08-22, 00:05:

Unfortunately, I dont have a multimeter available, and im not quite certain what i could plug into a usb port on a win95 system to see if it works

Well, that's a bit of a problem on both counts. I used Win95 for a few months spanning from October of 2000 to maybe April of 2001. Can anyone chime in? Does a working USB port at least show up in Device Manager as an unknown device?

Reply 12 of 27, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-08-21, 23:10:

Upon bootup, when is detecting drives, it detects the primary hdd proper, but when detecting the cdrom, it says "Primary Slave error: ATAPI Incompatible" yet, i can press F1 to continue booting, and it all works fine. More of an inconvenience, really.

Is ATA cable from drive to board correctly connected? Pin 1 (obviously red marking on cable) on pin 1 at both of drive and board connectors? It is 40 or 80 wires version?

Secondly, I have a little breakout board, that has USB, PS/2, and IR that for some reason the system isnt detecting the mouse i have plugged into the PS/2 port.

There is a PS/2 mouse support option in BIOS setup (in Advanced CMOS setup) - you have this set to enable?

Reply 14 of 27, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ydee wrote on 2022-08-22, 06:52:
Is ATA cable from drive to board correctly connected? Pin 1 (obviously red marking on cable) on pin 1 at both of drive and board […]
Show full quote
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-08-21, 23:10:

Upon bootup, when is detecting drives, it detects the primary hdd proper, but when detecting the cdrom, it says "Primary Slave error: ATAPI Incompatible" yet, i can press F1 to continue booting, and it all works fine. More of an inconvenience, really.

Is ATA cable from drive to board correctly connected? Pin 1 (obviously red marking on cable) on pin 1 at both of drive and board connectors? It is 40 or 80 wires version?

There is a PS/2 mouse support option in BIOS setup (in Advanced CMOS setup) - you have this set to enable?

Im not sure how to tell if its 40 or 80 wires, but pin 1 is to pin 1 as far as im able to tell. PS/2 mouse support is enabled, just turned the system on to verify

Reply 17 of 27, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-08-23, 05:53:

Im not sure how to tell if its 40 or 80 wires, but pin 1 is to pin 1 as far as im able to tell. PS/2 mouse support is enabled, just turned the system on to verify

Which CD/DVD drive you have connected - brand and model?
Is the HDD connected to the last connector on the cable and the drive to the middle one? Have you another ATA cable? If yes, try replace.
About PS/2 - you have a multimeter? If so, you can measure the PS/2 connector on the bracket. You should measure about +5V on red-marked pins, put a needle or pin in it and measure on it.

Attachments

• ps2.jpg
    Filename
    ps2.jpg
    File size
    9.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 18 of 27, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ydee wrote on 2022-08-23, 07:14:

Which CD/DVD drive you have connected - brand and model?
Is the HDD connected to the last connector on the cable and the drive to the middle one? Have you another ATA cable? If yes, try replace.
About PS/2 - you have a multimeter? If so, you can measure the PS/2 connector on the bracket. You should measure about +5V on red-marked pins, put a needle or pin in it and measure on it.

CD drive is a Sony NEC Optiarc. hdd is connected to the very end, and jumped to master, cd rom is connected to the middle plug and jumped as slave. It should be noted that the issue arises with various models of cd rom drives, across various cables. If not upon first boot, then next boot it throws the compatibility error. But, as mentioned, i can tell it continue and everything still works fine.

I do not have a multimeter to check the ps/2 issue.