VOGONS

POST, No boot issue...

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 27, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ydee wrote on 2022-08-24, 07:15:

Weird, I have same board and none problems. You can try USB or serial mouse then?

I dont have a serial mouse atm, and i dont think a usb mouse is supported on this era of hardware. Maybe theres something up with the header for the breakout board?

edit: its the ATX Form Card thats causing issues i think

Reply 22 of 27, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course they also support USB mice, under the Advanced Chipset Setup you can see "Onboard USB" (set to enabled) and even "USB function for DOS". In the original USB I/O bracket, the A4Tech Office in W98SE works for me.
I haven't tried others, but I expect almost all USB mice will work.
PS/2 on ATX form card works for me too.

Reply 23 of 27, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ydee wrote on 2022-08-26, 07:26:

Of course they also support USB mice, under the Advanced Chipset Setup you can see "Onboard USB" (set to enabled) and even "USB function for DOS". In the original USB I/O bracket, the A4Tech Office in W98SE works for me.
I haven't tried others, but I expect almost all USB mice will work.
PS/2 on ATX form card works for me too.

My system is running Windows 95, and I do have onboard usb enabled. I tried a usb mouse just to see, and also nothing. doesnt light up or function just like the ps/2 mouse.

Reply 24 of 27, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK, USB support in W95 (OSR2.x) was rather poor, for HID (which USB mouse is) close to zero. According to various sources on the net, there are exceptions where some peripherial manufacturers (Microsoft, Logitech) also supplied the driver for the W95 and these were also functional in this OS, but I don't have personal experience.
If you don't insist on the W95, try the W98SE and any USB mouse should work immediately without additional driver installation (with only the generic one from the OS)

Reply 25 of 27, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ydee wrote on 2022-08-27, 06:55:

AFAIK, USB support in W95 (OSR2.x) was rather poor, for HID (which USB mouse is) close to zero. According to various sources on the net, there are exceptions where some peripherial manufacturers (Microsoft, Logitech) also supplied the driver for the W95 and these were also functional in this OS, but I don't have personal experience.
If you don't insist on the W95, try the W98SE and any USB mouse should work immediately without additional driver installation (with only the generic one from the OS)

well, the intent for this build was to be a dedicated win95 rig for some of my games from that time frame, as i already have a win98se machine.

Reply 26 of 27, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK,in that case, you either have to find out why the PS/2 port doesn't work - if the wire in the bracket is broken or the board is faulty and you won't find out without measuring it with a multimeter.
The second option is to buy the serial mouse into the COM port if these are functional.

Reply 27 of 27, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-08-26, 15:22:

I tried a usb mouse just to see, and also nothing. doesnt light up or function just like the ps/2 mouse.

optical mouse doesnt light up? that would mean no +5V on both ports, most likely blown fuse

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction