VOGONS

First post, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I noticed when I run Speedsys in dos or any PCI ID information utility in Win95 on my new built Asus P54TP4 motherboard I get the following warning message:
"82338/82371FB PIIX PCI EIDE Controller (Faulty BusMastering!!)"

This is the first time I've used a 430fx chipset but I can't find anything about this fault message on the internet - just some vague references with no specifics about it causing Hard-Drive corruption.
I enable DMA on Win95 OSR2 (P133mhz) and and get around 19-20MB/s with 1-2% CPU usage. Without DMA the performance is awful at around 4-5MB/s with 90% cpu usage (i assume this is maximum speed with PIO mode).
Is DMA safe to use on these 430fx chipsets?

Reply 1 of 3, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Speedsys gives error messages or hangs under several conditions without any hardware related reason / issue.
That´s probably because such a tiny and efficient tool cannot be programmed for all imaginable constellations, components and combinations.

Reply 2 of 3, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I get the same Bus Mastering warning on an ASUS P/I-P55TP4XE (also 430FX chipset). Currently the MB is in the box as I'm not using it, but I don't recall having any issues enabling DMA on other 430FX-based motherboards.